Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Wren reporting for duty. Didn't see this thread before now. I wrote my dissertation on women who grew up in modern Christian and Jewish communities and chose fundamentalist ones.

Edit: I also research psychedelic drugs for a living, but I didn't know that was going to come in handy in this thread in particular...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

apokaladle posted:

Elaborate? That sounds fascinating.

On which part? And thanks.

Edit: I haven't caught up with this thread yet so I'm not totally sure where the conversation is at.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hi McDowell, nice to meet you. My name is Wren.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Give a brief overview of your dissertation and we'll go from there. Seconding that it sounds really interesting.

I will do, I am just gearing up for a busy day at work so it may be in a day or two.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

Did the dissertation include anything about how the women that grew up in those communities didn't really get much of a choice in the matter? Because my own experiences with fundamentalists is that they are all about teaching women that they are property and have no free will of their own to do anything.

My dissertation is about women who grow up in modern communities and then move to fundamentalist ones, but there's some background on the role of women in each of these communities.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "didn't get much of a choice in the matter" as no children are given free choice about what community they grow up in. Your second sentence makes me think you are talking about what choices women have in a broader way, but I'm not sure what you mean. Please clarify.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

McDowell posted:

No I was discussing augmented reality and hypothesizing that in the near future people with fully functional eyes will be expected to filter reality through a camera/computer - which is even more dystopian than Orwell's viewscreens.
I was just thinking of buying something like this and wondering where the consumer market has gotten to.

(also I said hi to be polite cause I'm entering this conversation in the middle and I'm a little sad you didn't say hi back)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Piell posted:

Who the gently caress are Ti & Do?

I also am not sure...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

The broader sense, or maybe your definition of fundamentalist is too narrow (ha!). Even your nominally "modern" churches (or at least what passes for such in the area I live in) will tell women to keep their mouths shut and not attempt to make decisions on their own, it's not just for hardcore fundamentalists.

Ha, got it. At first pass I thought you were saying something about children making choices that aren't available in almost any culture.

Working definition of fundamentalist Christian is simple, they acknowledge one another as "co-belligerents" in a cultural struggle, Hegel, etc. I'll see if I can effort post later this week but right now I'm rocking low blood pressure and am hanging upside down to get more blood in my head.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Okay. McDowell, I know nothing about Do and Ti and I suspect you may say that information I might get from Wikipedia or Google Scholar would be biased in some way. Could you please tell me what these people (and/or their group and philosophy) mean to you? Secondarily, since the conversation is my primary goal here, so hearing about personal meaning is most important, if I want to find out more, how could I educate myself?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not entirely sure McDowell isn't just trolling here, as this is a post he wrote to me about 3 years ago in the 9-11 truther thread.

I've been meaning to PM you about collaboration and writing! Hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think it was a pun based on fundamental/fundamentalist.

• Locked thread