Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ToxicAcne posted:

The Islam thread is hosting an analysis of the Quran by Schizotek and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to do the same for the New Testament? Would definitely be very enlightening.

I can recommend a book on textual criticism to that effect, which is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ToxicAcne posted:

Which book?

Misquoting Jesus, sold in some markets as Who's Word is it?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was very touched that someone actually cared enough to not only give me a very generous tip, but apparently cared enough about my soul that they gave me a free small form of the scriptures. I'm a (lost) christian, but again, that was very kind. Even if I was agnostic, atheist or a different religion? I would still be very touched by the gesture.

Same. I love the bible as a work, and appreciate the sort of Christian who does their best to help people in the real world, even if it is paired with mysticism I believe has no actual effect. Had a fairly religious, and actually considerate sort tell me I was more of a Christian than most of the Christians he knows, once, and I considered it a pretty big compliment.

On the other hand, had a different person how as a fair bit more of a jerk tell me that God was in my actions, or something like that, and imply that I was simply a Christian that didn't know it. It was sorta qualitatively different, as it felt more like he was saying "You must actually be Christian because you're not a bag of dicks" rather than "You are the sort of person people should aim to be, even though you don't believe my religion."

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 24, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So what you're saying is that it's 100% luck, really.

Or as one of the passages a few more American Christians could bear to read puts it...

Ecclesiastes 9:11 posted:

I again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise nor wealth to the discerning nor favor to men of ability; for time and chance overtake them all.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 9, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Prester Jane posted:

For what its worth I just wanted to say that this post feels eerily like looking into my own past. I'm just a random rear end in a top hat on the internet and not an expert, but in my opinion you should give some thought to seeking professional help McDowell.

No! Keep posting McDowell! And if you get banned, be sure to make many more accounts.

• Locked thread