Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

Some numbers in the Bible don't mean the actual numbers. Like 40 days and 40 nights more means a long time than an actual number of days and nights.

This is true for most pre-modern cultures. For most of the people who have ever lived, there was no need for big numbers more precise than "a whole lot".

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

McDowell posted:

Which is why the Kingdom of Heaven returns periodically to 'refresh' the message. They used science fiction to create parables for humans that want to overcome their animal characteristics in order to approach the divine.

I find it kind of ironic and amusing that nerd atheist communities are so steeped in science fiction and fantasy, both of which employ a mythic mode of storytelling to spin tales of a quasi-religious nature and evoke feelings of divinity.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

McDowell posted:

I'm certainly not claiming Christianity is the one true religion - all religions (or belief systems) are less than true. The Kingdom of God is more 'real' than this reality is, one way to look at it is 'The Matrix', but the older Gnostic idea was Christ as the guy who can come and go from "Plato's Cave". Human perceptions and record keeping are imperfect media and religions are 'afterimages' of visitations (Buddha being one example). These are impressions I have gotten from Ti & Do's information and I could be wrong about any number of details. But I'm sure Ti & Do saw 'ET' and it was like getting a call from home.

And this is why you should not consume psychedelics in excess.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well it looks like he got the wish in his custom title, because his mind sure as gently caress isn't living on Earth.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

OK, looking at this guy's rap sheet, I strongly suspect he's schizophrenic. Jesus Christ. :psyduck:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Who What Now posted:

How is it uniquely worse than any other computer or phone screen? And why couldn't it be used to spread 'The Message' in the way that you think certain movies do?

Because the reptilian multicultural liberal communist c-ckservative Bilderberg Rothschild Illuminati are using augmented reality to, like, hack our brains, man! :tinfoil:

*is tackled to the floor by orderlies and forcibly administered Thorazine*

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not entirely sure McDowell isn't just trolling here, as this is a post he wrote to me about 3 years ago in the 9-11 truther thread.

Maybe he fell ill in between then and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

McDowell posted:

Catharism is an interesting subject, their ideas aren't too different from Ti & Do's information - I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some members of the Away Team were incarnate at that time and place. Some of them had been on this planet for the entire age (the past 6000 years) being 'born again' many times as they developed under the supervision of the Next Level. You might imagine how one's mind/spirit is tested in various circumstances - witnessing the Sermon on the Mount, building a 'heretical' church in the 12th century, and joining a 'cult' in the 20th.

Unlike the medieval Catholics with the Cathars, we do not want to burn you at the stake, we just want you to get mental health care so you can function normally again.

• Locked thread