Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Thank you, all that sounds like the kind of thing I am into, so I figure I am going to look into it. Confusing rules and overwriting are endemic to most pre-2000 RPG's anyhow, and I have muddled through those just fine over the years.

I eagerly await hearing what you think about it! Of the people I've played it with before, only one I still hang around with and it tends to be a hard sell for new people due to the enormity of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Potsticker posted:

At first I was excited we may have met before, but reading that made me realize who some of the disgusting shitheads are you've talked about previously.

I don't exactly have a lot of fond memories of that place. The only person from there I still talk to was my friend long before. Really, letting it lie is probably for the best.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Queen Fiona posted:

I don't exactly have a lot of fond memories of that place. The only person from there I still talk to was my friend long before. Really, letting it lie is probably for the best.

Agreed.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I just wanted to say how saddened I am that the most popular ttg in France isn't some horrifying EYE Divine Cybermancy based monstrosity.

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I just wanted to say how saddened I am that the most popular ttg in France isn't some horrifying EYE Divine Cybermancy based monstrosity.

I swear I read somewhere that they based the game off their tabletop setting, so hope springs eternal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Isn't that lovely fps that no one liked?

Fake Edit: Wait, people liked that game? Some people gave it 9/10? It seemed like a stinker when I played it. Different strokes, different folks, I suppose.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Isn't that lovely fps that no one liked?

Fake Edit: Wait, people liked that game? Some people gave it 9/10? It seemed like a stinker when I played it. Different strokes, different folks, I suppose.

It's really good dude!!! The dialog is hilarious and the gunplay was fun!!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
So it's like a Bioware game, but "rear end in a top hat" is the default dialogue option?

Sold

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My copy of Eoris just arrived.

Holy crap this thing is huge.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
eye divine cybermancy is really really bad. They promise you like ten million different ways to play the game, and while ostensibly this is the case, you're better off just shooting everyone with the gun you get in the tutorial of the game because it is literally the easiest most effective option in every scenario.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tulpa posted:

eye divine cybermancy is really really bad. They promise you like ten million different ways to play the game, and while ostensibly this is the case, you're better off just shooting everyone with the gun you get in the tutorial of the game because it is literally the easiest most effective option in every scenario.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well shooting does kind of cut through all the complications inherent to social interaction and problem solving. When you have a gun, everything starts to look like a target.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's just like real life!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It's probably the worst put together FPS I've played, but it's also bar none the most entertaining. There's like thirty different ways to be grossly overpowered, and you can do all of them, until you are running around invisible, shooting down a flying tank with a revolver called the BEAR KILLER, leaping a thousand feet into the air to land on top of a doom cyberdemon, backstabbing it with your nuclear-powered warhammer, summoning werewolves into the nearby enemies, and then tele-fraging into someone across the map while summoning an army of clones. And then you try to hack an ATM and it counter-hacks you and your brain explodes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's a problem inherent to the gaming pastime, traditional or video. Violence is simpler and easier to model than everything else*. The problem is how you game up the other stuff without trivializing it, and how you make it fun.

*Not real violence of course, but the cinematic model. MMA gaming is a good example of this, as they still have quite a bit of trouble making grappling and groundwork fun.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 31, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It has an SMG that has Full Auto and Fullest Auto settings only. EYE is awesome.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

remusclaw posted:

It's a problem inherent to the gaming pastime, traditional or video. Violence is simpler and easier to model than everything else. The problem is how you game up the other stuff without trivializing it, and how you make it fun.

I mean the solution in EYE is to have so many ways of inflicting violence you just choose the one you like most, be it hilarious melee weapons that deflect bullets, over the top guns like the minigun with a scope (or the aforementioned BEAR KILLER 444 or the smg with 100 rounds that empties it in a second), hacking enemies to mind control them, or increasingly absurd psychic powers that range from "create ten clones of yourself" to "teleport a werewolf into an enemy, no like, inside them"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The explosive hammer was the best loving thing ever even though it was so expensive.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

My copy of Eoris just arrived.

Holy crap this thing is huge.

Yeah it's more than a bit overwhelming. The 3-point font in some of the poems is crazy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EYE Divine Cybermancy was good in the same way that Rifts was good: they just threw everything in there and you look past all the flaws because :wow: look at all this crazy stuff

Dec 26, 2012

Tulpa posted:

you're better off just shooting everyone with the gun you get in the tutorial of the game because it is literally the easiest most effective option in every scenario.

That's basically completely wrong though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wil Wheaton's RPG Show, Titan's Grave, released a sourcebook for Fantasy Age for anyone who watches.

Also, to those who watch, is it any good?

Also, I find it funny how all you can see in the preview is two maps.

Edit: Also, looks like the goon made Battle Century G is also out. Congrats.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 31, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Night10194 posted:

It has an SMG that has Full Auto and Fullest Auto settings only. EYE is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtJh_B4jDrY

It is the best SMG ever.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Covok posted:

Wil Wheaton's RPG Show, Titan's Grave, released a sourcebook for Fantasy Age for anyone who watches.

Also, to those who watch, is it any good?

Also, I find it funny how all you can see in the preview is two maps.

Edit: Also, looks like the goon made Battle Century G is also out. Congrats.

I like the podcast; it starts off slow, but it picks up once the players find a "voice" for their characters. The accompanying music and art that goes along with the descriptions also helps keep it more visually stimulating than your average RPG podcast. Overall it's just a group of people genuinely having a good time telling a story together, and it shows.

I would've gone with a different style for the art; it's the overpainted Photoshop fantasy art you see on M:tG cards. But that's just me.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tulpa posted:

If you never tasted the joy of using the Bear Killer, then I am sorry for you.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Somebody sell me on Battle Century G, please.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

grassy gnoll posted:

This. Today was payday, convince me to pick up another RPG I'll never get the chance to play.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

I haven't looked at it, but GGG was pretty good, and this is apparently a more refined version of it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, the creator is a goon and I even think he has a thread somewhere around here for the game...or I'm thinking of his posts in the KS thread.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

"Is a goon" is no promise of quality (or even finished product) as we have learned in the past. Silly as it might sound, I want someone who isn't the author to sell me on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Is a goon" is no promise of quality (or even finished product) as we have learned in the past. Silly as it might sound, I want someone who isn't the author to sell me on it.

I don't mean "Is a goon" means its good. I mean "is a goon" means you can ask him, but I see your point. Just wanted to clear the air on that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

remusclaw posted:

It's a problem inherent to the gaming pastime, traditional or video. Violence is simpler and easier to model than everything else*. The problem is how you game up the other stuff without trivializing it, and how you make it fun.

*Not real violence of course, but the cinematic model. MMA gaming is a good example of this, as they still have quite a bit of trouble making grappling and groundwork fun.
Racing is just as simple to gamify as violence, and I'd argue it also lends itself to better models of both reality and fiction. Tradgame violence hardly ever resembles the action movie spectacle, and many video games struggle as well.

This is my bimonthly rant against violence in games.

It's just a big loving rut we've been stuck in since Gary wrote that stupid wargame supplement. A bunch of dudes wander deep into a perilous dungeon, risking their lives for treasure, which is cool and all, but every sodding game since has followed the formula of "A bunch of dudes [delve/stumble/are drawn] deep into [danger], risking their lives for [a commodity or goal]." And I just realized the common denominator here isn't violence, it's that lives are at stake. You just can't have drama without the highest stakes am I right? Violence is the easiest solution because it's all about them lives at stake.

And even that's been hosed up now that we're all too cynical to believe the protagonist would ever die, or at least not get better. Now it's other people's lives that are actually on the line, because that's the easiest way to keep stakes high while making sure the game won't grind to halt at failure and we can sell the next part of the adventure path to these guys.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Siivola posted:

This is my bimonthly rant against violence in games.
You sound like that one guy whose name I forget who put a big dumb screed in his game's core book about how everyone who wants combat rules in their RPG is a monster and a psychopath and how dare you!!! then ends it with "but fine, if you need a murder simulator here you go, but by using these rules you agree that you are a terrible person and everything that is wrong with society."

Yes, "dudes get into a situation and have a plot with something at stake" describes a lot of stories. It describes almost every story, in fact! Because if you don't want conflict, or you don't want events that have something at stake, or you don't want goals that require effort/risk, then what do you want? Slice of Life Anime: the RPG? Because you don't really need a system for that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Yawgmoth posted:

You sound like that one guy whose name I forget who put a big dumb screed in his game's core book about how everyone who wants combat rules in their RPG is a monster and a psychopath and how dare you!!! then ends it with "but fine, if you need a murder simulator here you go, but by using these rules you agree that you are a terrible person and everything that is wrong with society."

Yes, "dudes get into a situation and have a plot with something at stake" describes a lot of stories. It describes almost every story, in fact! Because if you don't want conflict, or you don't want events that have something at stake, or you don't want goals that require effort/risk, then what do you want? Slice of Life Anime: the RPG? Because you don't really need a system for that.

If you're talking about Mr. Stolze, expect to face divine retribution. Soon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Western Pacifism is the worst and I hope with all my heart that the hordes will overrun the weakened empires of the First World.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh gosh Greg's going to make an ambitious-but-poorly-thought-through system at that guy, watch out that guy noooooooo.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Yawgmoth posted:

This has literally nothing to do with what they posted, good job.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There actually is a system to play a Slice of Life sort of game whose mechanics even encourage you to do so and stay within genre.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sometimes its fun to play the game counter to how it was designed. Like the players in my last game were generally pretty murderhoboish, but sometimes they would choose to talk their way past a fight, often at the oddest times. I'm all for that, so I ran with it whenever they tried it.

That's how they ended up being buddies with a demon lord of hell and having a friendly rivalry with a spider-person gunslinger. Both of which I thought they would kill immediately, but my players are weird.

• Locked thread