Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

01011001 posted:

Pathfinder is my favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

Torchbearer is my favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

And now, a question: Can anyone tell me about some games with flashback mechanics? One Last Job sort of has that by letting you go "remember the time in berlin with that one guy" and then suddenly you have a +2 to shooting tiny children or something. However, I'm looking for something more like rebuilding after a civil war, and occasionally the game would drop into scenes during the war, and then back to the present day, using established backstory from the flashback to inform or twist the present day scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
LEVERAGE

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ah yes, the Battlefield Earth roleplaying system.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I thought the system was called "Cortex+"? :confused:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I thought the system was called "Cortex+"? :confused:
Nope, Cortex+ was the final boss in one of the PS2 Crash Bandicoot games.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

My favourite edition of d&d is Not D&D.

yes i know dumb joke but for some reason i just can't get into D&D :v

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Ningyou posted:

My favourite edition of d&d is Not D&D.

yes i know dumb joke but for some reason i just can't get into D&D :v

Well, you're hardly alone there. D&D relies on a bunch of base assumptions of What Roleplaying Should Be that really chafe on...well, lots of people. Including a lot of the people who play it, who seem like they'd be happier playing something else! And this applies even in the case where fantasy, combat-centric murderhobo RPGs are an enjoyed pasttime of the theoretical player!

It's kind of a mess, but it'd be less of a problem if it weren't the RPG, and people weren't so hostile toward trying new systems. Seriously, people are really loving hostile. There's ample evidence of it in the various trials and tribulations people on this board have been through.

Mind you, I try my best to break the mold, so I hope you can still come up with something nice for my campaign :ohdear:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

Please post less about posting, and do not use the Satsui no Hado on other posters. God bless.

I'm gonna turn into Oni.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

inklesspen posted:

Torchbearer is my favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

And now, a question: Can anyone tell me about some games with flashback mechanics? One Last Job sort of has that by letting you go "remember the time in berlin with that one guy" and then suddenly you have a +2 to shooting tiny children or something. However, I'm looking for something more like rebuilding after a civil war, and occasionally the game would drop into scenes during the war, and then back to the present day, using established backstory from the flashback to inform or twist the present day scene.

3:16 Carnage Among the Stars ties character advancement to flashbacks

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Good new avatar, Foo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Diana Jones Award, an actual award has announced it's shortlist of nominees: http://www.dianajonesaward.org/

I hope the Guide to Glorantha wins.

I also hope that Moon Design merely had to give out a PDF or two to the Ennie judges, otherwise they're out a ton of cash for something they certainly won't win, after all, the new Player's Handbook is in the Product of the Year category :smaug:

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is everyone's favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons? Mine is 3.5th Edition because it has a lot of transhumanism, because you can be many transhumanist races such as Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Wizard, Gnome, and Half-Orc.

BECMI or Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 3, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BECMI? You don't even know me!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alt joke: BECMI? Well, I've already got two turntables and a microphone!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

:bravo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
D&D scratches an itch of mine that used to be filled in by raiding in an MMO, except I can skip all of the dumb bullshit like leveling up, random drops, needing a "balanced" party composition, grinding, gating, and so on and so forth. The game is interesting right off the bat, without having to wait until you reach that point that the developers put down as "ok, NOW the real game starts"

Favorite edition is a toss-up between B/X and 4e

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Favorite edition is a toss-up between B/X and 4e

This guy gets it.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

I like a lot of cosmic horror in my dungeon crawls.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Also you like 12161 zombies that are scared of magic plant music.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

inklesspen posted:

Also you like 12161 zombies that are scared of magic plant music.

Actually, I do.

I like a lot of weird, irrational nonsense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm tempted to create a tabletop gaming music thread. I'm about to ask my players to go along with some... different music choices for some upcoming boss fights and someone should probably tell me that it's going to be jarring (not in the good way) switch them from generally atmospheric music that avoids sounding too modern (like some Witcher 3 combat music) to things like, well, the Titan theme from FFXIV. My intention is for it to be intentionally jarring, because I'm reserving modern musical genres for otherworldly or extremely monstrous enemies, but I worry it'll be jarring in a bad way.

(I definitely need to be talked out of using Shiva's theme, too.)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to create a tabletop gaming music thread.

:justpost:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Play Fiona Apple during tense and atmospheric moments because it will make your players confused and uncomfortable and that's exactly what you want.

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to create a tabletop gaming music thread. I'm about to ask my players to go along with some... different music choices for some upcoming boss fights and someone should probably tell me that it's going to be jarring (not in the good way) switch them from generally atmospheric music that avoids sounding too modern (like some Witcher 3 combat music) to things like, well, the Titan theme from FFXIV. My intention is for it to be intentionally jarring, because I'm reserving modern musical genres for otherworldly or extremely monstrous enemies, but I worry it'll be jarring in a bad way.

Intentionally jarring in the "unexpectedly modern" sense: a large amount of the SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Baroque soundtracks will work. Whatever you pick, as long as it's not really overbearing, they probably won't be too thrown by it even if it doesn't perfectly fit or whatever. Just make sure it's appropriate as background music that stays in the background.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Harrow posted:

Ravana's theme

Well, the second part of it, but still. The FFXIV boss themes are incredible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RPZip posted:

Ravana's theme

Well, the second part of it, but still. The FFXIV boss themes are incredible.

Aren't they, though? It makes me wish I actually still liked playing the game.

01011001 posted:

Intentionally jarring in the "unexpectedly modern" sense: a large amount of the SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Baroque soundtracks will work. Whatever you pick, as long as it's not really overbearing, they probably won't be too thrown by it even if it doesn't perfectly fit or whatever. Just make sure it's appropriate as background music that stays in the background.

Thanks for reminding me about the various SMT soundtracks I can mine, because those are all awesome.

I'm still a little curious if I can get away with things like using the FFXIV Titan theme for a huge construct made out of scraps of war machines, or the Shiva theme for what is essentially going to be an "angel of death"-themed battle, but those might cross over into not being strictly background.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

If you want something that sounds more modern but fitting with fantasy, I suppose you could try the Drakengard soundtrack, which is mostly samples of orchestral music remade to sound rather jarring and dark. It might be a little too much though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZcNsaa-98&index=38&list=PL9C76300F15CC9EBD

Also if you haven't heard of Drakengard, I recommend to never actually play any of the games in the series because they all suck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

If you want something that sounds more modern but fitting with fantasy, I suppose you could try the Drakengard soundtrack, which is mostly samples of orchestral music remade to sound rather jarring and dark. It might be a little too much though.

Also if you haven't heard of Drakengard, I recommend to never actually play any of the games in the series because they all suck.

This is a great suggestion and something I hadn't considered. Drakengard (and NIER) soundtracks are awesome. Also my exposure to Drakengard doesn't really extend beyond The Dark Id's LPs.

I could throw down with some Drakengard 3 boss music for sure.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Nier is worth playing, but definitely not the others.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

01011001 posted:

Yeah, I liked Nier. It was pretty decent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Other great soundtracks to pilfer include Breath of Fire IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mis94WKFYhQ

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to create a tabletop gaming music thread.

I did this awhile back. It's fallen into archives though. I think because I was listening to a lot of post-rock and retrowave it ended up being mostly about stuff for cyberpunk games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For 13th Age, what is the escalation dice and what are icons?

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

01011001 posted:

Ningyou and I were enjoying Drakengard 3, except for the part where she had to play it. :v:

Dec 26, 2012

I honestly didn't remember there was a third one.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Harrow posted:

Other great soundtracks to pilfer include Breath of Fire IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mis94WKFYhQ

I started to make a list of my favorite songs until I realized I was just making a list of almost all of them because Breath of Fire IV loving owns, sooo.

For anyone who's never played the game, listened to its music or read my LP from like five years ago go listen.

Even if you don't, "~ A Man ~" is required listening, as you may expect from my avatar.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Escalation dice: The escalation die is a 6 sided die that you don't roll. In combat the escalation die starts at 0. Every turn, you move it up one. This number is added to all PC attacks as a bonus; there are also several PC and NPC abilities that connect to it (monks can use Flurry of Attacks when at Escalation 3+, Wizards can cast Color Spray without expending it on even Escalations, etc). Technically you don't have to use a die, you could use anything else to mark numbers, but the die is generally easy to use. Overall this represents the battle getting more pumped and vicious as time goes on, while also discouraging round 1 novas.

Icons are big setting-defining figures; each has an assumably large sphere of influence and a wide network that PCs can utilize. A PC with a positive relationship with the Emperor would be connected to the official government of the land; one with a negative relationship with the Lich King would be connected to various undead hunters and would probably know how to re-deadify things. At the start of each adventure the PCs roll their relationship dice; each 5 or 6 means that at some point in the adventure, that relationship is going to come up in a way beneficial to them (though each 5 also means there will be a cost or complication). Personally I've started just letting the PCs decide when they want to spend their points to announce or declare things. Can't get past a magic barrier but the wizard rolled a 6 on their Archmage? You can state that a group of arcanists are nearby, lead by Your Friend _______, and are happy to help!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Also the best soundtrack to use for games is made of anime remixes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

The Escalation Die is a d6 that starts at 1 on the second round of combat, and increases by one each round. It's added to the PC's attack rolls (to represent the spinning-up in combat), and some abilities trigger when the die hits a certain point. Barbarians can rage for free when the Escalation Die is 3+, instead of it coming out of their daily allotment, for instance.

Icons are the major setting NPCs, who the characters have relationships with due to working for or against them. It's a way of having powerful important NPCs that don't make the PCs irrelevant, because the Icons are generally busy doing things like running the world to deal with smaller-level threats, which is what they need PCs for. They're also sources of gear, information, and threats for the characters.

It's a way of solving the Elminster problem; if Elminster is the most powerful wizard in the world and can snap his fingers and solve any problem, then why does he risk having the PCs do it? In 13th Age, it's because the Archmage (the Elminster equivalent) is too busy researching and casting spells that hold reality together or stop mad gods from steamrollering the world to deal with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Queen Fiona posted:

Ningyou and I were enjoying Drakengard 3, except for the part where she had to play it. :v:
YEAH PRETTY MUCH

That loving bugged fog maze thing.

• Locked thread