Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Escalation Die is a d6 that starts at 1 on the second round of combat, and increases by one each round. It's added to the PC's attack rolls (to represent the spinning-up in combat), and some abilities trigger when the die hits a certain point. Barbarians can rage for free when the Escalation Die is 3+, instead of it coming out of their daily allotment, for instance.

Icons are the major setting NPCs, who the characters have relationships with due to working for or against them. It's a way of having powerful important NPCs that don't make the PCs irrelevant, because the Icons are generally busy doing things like running the world to deal with smaller-level threats, which is what they need PCs for. They're also sources of gear, information, and threats for the characters.

It's a way of solving the Elminster problem; if Elminster is the most powerful wizard in the world and can snap his fingers and solve any problem, then why does he risk having the PCs do it? In 13th Age, it's because the Archmage (the Elminster equivalent) is too busy researching and casting spells that hold reality together or stop mad gods from steamrollering the world to deal with that poo poo.

Some monsters have abilities that trigger when the Escalation Die hits a certain number as well, so it's not entirely one-sided.

Icons aren't just major NPCs as well, they're the major NPCs who matter to the game. Some king in a distant land who's never ever going to come into play or isn't very important if they do isn't an Icon.

loving literalist, one day you'll goddamn pay you son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

loving literalist, one day you'll goddamn pay you son of a bitch.
I don't have much money.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Enough, worm! Your creepy and unsightly way of shitposting insults the heaven and earth! To prevent you from further sullying the land, my fist shall destroy your flesh and contaminate the very bone within! Messatsu!

Raging demon is cool as hell.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Queen Fiona posted:

Well, you're hardly alone there. D&D relies on a bunch of base assumptions of What Roleplaying Should Be that really chafe on...well, lots of people. Including a lot of the people who play it, who seem like they'd be happier playing something else! And this applies even in the case where fantasy, combat-centric murderhobo RPGs are an enjoyed pasttime of the theoretical player!

It's kind of a mess, but it'd be less of a problem if it weren't the RPG, and people weren't so hostile toward trying new systems. Seriously, people are really loving hostile. There's ample evidence of it in the various trials and tribulations people on this board have been through.

Mind you, I try my best to break the mold, so I hope you can still come up with something nice for my campaign :ohdear:

D&D is (and always has been) what you make of it. I mean, your game is 13th Age, which is pretty much just fancied up D&D. Mostly the base assumptions of D&D are about What D&D Should Be, which is probably fine for its own thing. I've just never understood the animosity towards it just as I've never understood the animosity within of people who don't want to try new systems. Neither really makes sense. Is it fun? Good. Play it. Is it not fun? Play something else, or mix it up, change things to be fun for your group. Easy.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zarick posted:

D&D is (and always has been) what you make of it. I mean, your game is 13th Age, which is pretty much just fancied up D&D. Mostly the base assumptions of D&D are about What D&D Should Be, which is probably fine for its own thing. I've just never understood the animosity towards it just as I've never understood the animosity within of people who don't want to try new systems. Neither really makes sense. Is it fun? Good. Play it. Is it not fun? Play something else, or mix it up, change things to be fun for your group. Easy.

I get it, it's because it's positioned as the Default Game Everyone Must Play™. I'm a huge fan, but I don't agree with that, and it does the game no favors. People feel like they have to react against it as a result. It's the same with superhero comics, where for the longest time, there were a ton of independent comics that amounted to screeds about how much the creators loving hated capes. Still got a bit of that going on, too.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

My point is that that's stupid. It accomplishes nothing, even for the people doing it. If you don't like D&D, there are other games to play. If your friends refuse to try anything else, find new friends who will. (Getting rid of the old ones optional.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Some of us don't have that option, you realize.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Because you're afraid to talk to people like an adult?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

No gaming is better than bad gaming; don't blame something for not being what you want it to be. It's one thing to dislike it all together, or the direction of the current edition's design or to be frustrated because it's all people want to play, but yelling at D&D for not being Fate or some poo poo is fruitless.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This too. Listen if people in your area just want to play D&D and you don't tell them "No thanks, I'm not a fan" and look for someone who wants to play a game of your choice.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Davin if you're being bullied into playing a game you don't like, you can tell us. It's okay. If someone makes you feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do, that person is not really your friend.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Davin if you're being bullied into playing a game you don't like, you can tell us. It's okay. If someone makes you feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do, that person is not really your friend.

Roll the d20 poindexter!!!!! Figure out your loving initiative before I swirly your storygame loving rear end again.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Ningyou posted:

YEAH PRETTY MUCH

That loving bugged fog maze thing.

It feels like they made a game specifically to make me happy, because Tara Platt always makes me happy (eeeeeeeeee Mitsuru), as does holy poo poo tons of other stuff, but then the gameplay happens.

I feel like I'd enjoy it more than Ningyou, but I wanna play Nier first and ehhhhhhhhhhhhh :effort:

Zarick posted:

All games are defined by their core assumptions, whether one breaks them or not. It's not unhelpful to discuss these assumptions, and where they might cause problems either at the individual game level, or the broader cultural level. It's easy to say 'change things up', and it is indeed a thing people do. But there are people who don't do this, and the framework you create has an effect on every change you make. My own 13th Age campaign, for instance, is seeing characters of substantially higher 'power level' (in terms of uniqueness, flashiness, etc rather than 'they're not dirt farmers ugh') than I originally imagined. Now, it's not bad or anything, and I'm working with it because it's producing a lot of interesting and brilliant apps, but the choice of 13th Age shaped the game's characters in a different way as compared to the other systems I was considering, even when my specific changes are taken into account.

This becomes extremely important when the entire hobby is defined by a single game's brand, so, y'know. Your argument is fine in a context-free vacuum, but we live in a world where things have meanings and connotations past their stated intent. It's an especially poor argument when it's been a go-to answer to shut down any kind of criticism or higher-level analysis of a system, which, surprise surprise, is usually D&D.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please do not insult my good friends. If your friends don't want to play the games you like, that can be an issue - and people can still be your friends even if you're annoyed that all they play is X system. Confrontation can be difficult, and getting together a game and teaching a new system isn't particularly easy. (I should know!)

Also, don't insult my friends.

Lightning Lord posted:

This too. Listen if people in your area just want to play D&D and you don't tell them "No thanks, I'm not a fan" and look for someone who wants to play a game of your choice.

Don't insult my friends. This is like the argument of avoiding harassment on Twitter by not using Twitter. I mean, sure, you could probably find a new group in the area, but getting to know new people is hard and full of pitfalls, and those pitfalls only increase with the matter of gender and queerness. The fact that I had a lasting RL group from a pickup game was a loving miracle, and people shouldn't be expected to not be unhappy that their friends don't play the games they want. New friends are hard to make.

I suppose if you treat a game as something completely disposable and interchangeable, that attitude makes more sense, but some of us like to make friends and interact with the people we game with besides Other People Who Play This Game. RPGs aren't like card games or miniature games where the other player doesn't matter so much, or at least I would hope they aren't. Investment in the story is investment in the group, end of line.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

It feels like they made a game specifically to make me happy, because Tara Platt always makes me happy (eeeeeeeeee Mitsuru), as does holy poo poo tons of other stuff, but then the gameplay happens.

I feel like I'd enjoy it more than Ningyou, but I wanna play Nier first and ehhhhhhhhhhhhh :effort:

All games are defined by their core assumptions, whether one breaks them or not. It's not unhelpful to discuss these assumptions, and where they might cause problems either at the individual game level, or the broader cultural level. It's easy to say 'change things up', and it is indeed a thing people do. But there are people who don't do this, and the framework you create has an effect on every change you make. My own 13th Age campaign, for instance, is seeing characters of substantially higher 'power level' (in terms of uniqueness, flashiness, etc rather than 'they're not dirt farmers ugh') than I originally imagined. Now, it's not bad or anything, and I'm working with it because it's producing a lot of interesting and brilliant apps, but the choice of 13th Age shaped the game's characters in a different way as compared to the other systems I was considering, even when my specific changes are taken into account.

This becomes extremely important when the entire hobby is defined by a single game's brand, so, y'know. Your argument is fine in a context-free vacuum, but we live in a world where things have meanings and connotations past their stated intent. It's an especially poor argument when it's been a go-to answer to shut down any kind of criticism or higher-level analysis of a system, which, surprise surprise, is usually D&D.

Please do not insult my good friends. If your friends don't want to play the games you like, that can be an issue - and people can still be your friends even if you're annoyed that all they play is X system. Confrontation can be difficult, and getting together a game and teaching a new system isn't particularly easy. (I should know!)

Also, don't insult my friends.

Don't insult my friends. This is like the argument of avoiding harassment on Twitter by not using Twitter. I mean, sure, you could probably find a new group in the area, but getting to know new people is hard and full of pitfalls, and those pitfalls only increase with the matter of gender and queerness. The fact that I had a lasting RL group from a pickup game was a loving miracle, and people shouldn't be expected to not be unhappy that their friends don't play the games they want. New friends are hard to make.

I suppose if you treat a game as something completely disposable and interchangeable, that attitude makes more sense, but some of us like to make friends and interact with the people we game with besides Other People Who Play This Game. RPGs aren't like card games or miniature games where the other player doesn't matter so much, or at least I would hope they aren't. Investment in the story is investment in the group, end of line.

No one is insulting your friends by suggesting not playing with them if you don't like D&D and they do isn't necessarily a horrible thing. I don't do everything with every friend I have. Also, having different tastes in games is not equivalent to twitter harassment.

Also, no one is saying that analysis or criticism of D&D is bad. It's just not some sort of crime to enjoy it. I hate loving 3.5 but it ain't a tragedy that people play it to the extent that sometimes I have a hard time finding people to play Call of Cthulhu or old D&D or Ars Magica or what the gently caress ever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Please do not insult anyone's friends, thank you

Dec 26, 2012

It doesn't really help anyone to get extremely defensive about a mild response, you know.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You want to see insulting? Well, okay.

*watches old Triumph the Insult Comic Dog sketches and tries to think of something good*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Davin Valkri are you rapper Eminem? If so, I've got a few that are guaranteed to work.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

You want to see insulting? Well, okay.

*watches old Triumph the Insult Comic Dog sketches and tries to think of something good*

A great post...

for me to poop on!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hmm...

- The new Warhammer thing is Age of Sigmar.

- Sig and Mar are both characters in the Jak series.

Games Workshop is doing viral marketing for a Jak 4 release?

Dec 26, 2012

In a world where Streum on is doing Space Hulk, anything is possible.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Please do not insult anyone's friends, thank you

Can I be yr friend?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man you guys are making me want to pick up the 13th Age book because it sounds genuinely interesting. It was goon made wasn't it?

I doubt I will though since it's hard to get people around to play a tabletop RPG and there's already Shadowrun I'm trying to learn.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Can I be yr friend?
I don't know, Lamdan, you might have to get out of bed!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey nerd, how about you make some decent posts, like us cool kids.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know, Lamdan, you might have to get out of bed!

I'm posting this in bed right now oh shiiiit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Man you guys are making me want to pick up the 13th Age book because it sounds genuinely interesting. It was goon made wasn't it?

I doubt I will though since it's hard to get people around to play a tabletop RPG and there's already Shadowrun I'm trying to learn.
Totally without irony here, 13th Age isn't very good. Tries to do a lot of things and doesn't really manage them. I don't play enough lately to say what's a good tactical combat RPG ala 13th age or D&D, but that's not it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Hey nerd, how about you make some decent posts, like us cool kids.
What's your avatar from?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Len posted:

Strike was the goon made RPG, but 13th Age had people involved posting here at one point or another

Dec 26, 2012

Len posted:

Man you guys are making me want to pick up the 13th Age book because it sounds genuinely interesting.

It's really a question of what you're looking for. It mostly fits the bill for my needs but if you're looking for a more 4E-like experience, try out Strike.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Totally without irony here, 13th Age isn't very good. Tries to do a lot of things and doesn't really manage them. I don't play enough lately to say what's a good tactical combat RPG ala 13th age or D&D, but that's not it.

I disagree with this fine gentleman. It's not perfect and most of the flaws are in some class design, but for the most part it did what it set out to do. But that's the wonder of the magical internet, we can disagree and still be the best of friends.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's your avatar from?

It's the mail cat from Monster Hunter 4.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

It's the mail cat from Monster Hunter 4.
It's cute, I like it.

Dec 26, 2012

Most of its flaws are the standard D&D stuff that it didn't have the chutzpah to step appreciably away from.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

01011001 posted:

Most of its flaws are the standard D&D stuff that it didn't have the chutzpah to step appreciably away from.
This is what I mean when I say it tries to do too many things. It wants to have its cake and eat it too w/r/t classic D&D mechanics and class design but also having later D&D mechanics and class design and it never meshed well for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Same problem with 4e's Essentials, basically.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only friend I need is Orlanth, lord of the Middle Air.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is what I mean when I say it tries to do too many things. It wants to have its cake and eat it too w/r/t classic D&D mechanics and class design but also having later D&D mechanics and class design and it never meshed well for me.

Understandable.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Same problem with 4e's Essentials, basically.

Let's not go too far here.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

01011001 posted:

Understandable.

Let's not go too far here.
Well, the Essentials issue was introducing stripped-down classes that didn't work with existing ones. The 13th Age fighter is a lot like the Essentials fighter.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's cute, I like it.

Thank you. I figured I had to have something redeeming about my posts at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The palicos are basically the best thing to ever happen to gaming.

• Locked thread