Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Queen Fiona posted:

So, Traditional Games, how has roleplaying changed your life? :h:

Certainly not anything of the same magnitude as what you posted, but roleplaying helped me figure out that, while I didn't have a lot of strong opinions about the sort of body I was in, I was very cheesed off at how hard it was to try other options.

So, transhumanist RP. Is there any of it that isn't "shooting evil robots in a grim meathook future"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

01011001 posted:

Pathfinder is my favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

Torchbearer is my favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

And now, a question: Can anyone tell me about some games with flashback mechanics? One Last Job sort of has that by letting you go "remember the time in berlin with that one guy" and then suddenly you have a +2 to shooting tiny children or something. However, I'm looking for something more like rebuilding after a civil war, and occasionally the game would drop into scenes during the war, and then back to the present day, using established backstory from the flashback to inform or twist the present day scene.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Also you like 12161 zombies that are scared of magic plant music.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Good news: They've licensed the Palladium® Megaversal™ System©.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
It's Fate for people who think Fate is too story gamey.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Don't link the escapist.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Perhaps we can stop discussing whether DCI should consider "convicted felon" to be a protected category against which it is verboten to discriminate

And resume discussion of elfgames.

Specifically, I'd like to talk about how game and setting designers can construct things to make it more likely the PCs will need to broker a difficult peace between King Ulfbright and the orc tribes instead of taking a commission from King Ulfbright to slay the orc tribes. A good first start is to strip "Always Chaotic Evil" and such language, but I think there's more to be done than that; most elfgame RPGs have more pagecount devoted to waging war than waging peace.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Davin Valkri posted:

Do you want no fighting at all or just no treating orcs as the bad guys just because they're orcs?

The latter. Definitely there will be fighting: an adventure is not as much fun without people who have villainous intent whom you can defeat, or dangerous beasts to fight off. And perhaps the dragon must be slain because he will not stop raiding the village? But I would like to make violence not be the only tool in the adventurer's repertoire and to break your standard elfgamer out of the "kill the goblins because they are goblins" rut.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Swagger Dagger posted:

A lot of this is going to have to do with the portrayal of the monstrous societies in question. Nobody's really going to try negotiating with the rampaging Orc horde over the next hill, but if it's an actual Orc city with laws and government things are different.

To make PCs treat their enemies like people the setting has to do it first.

I don't think people have to live in a city with buildings and walls and jails for them to be people.

It's actually been a lot of really ugly moments in history where one people decided that another people didn't really count because they were savages or didn't have a nation or etc etc etc. There has to be a way to tell people "gently caress off with that elf racism" without making everyone live in cities like the English do.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Serf posted:

In my games I've pretty much done away with the idea of "savage" people as consequence-free enemies because that inevitably leads to some pretty gross parallels. No species is meant to be any less than the others, and there are no nations or groups that are species-exclusive. There's no orc tribes or elf-kingdoms, just nations made up of various species. There are plenty of actual monsters you can use as punching bags for your players without endorsing the wholesale slaughter of sapient beings.

How and where do you draw the line between monster and sapient beings? INT score? ability to communicate? ability to interact with others without immediately trying to kill/enslave them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Go away please.

• Locked thread