Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

inklesspen posted:

So, transhumanist RP. Is there any of it that isn't "shooting evil robots in a grim meathook future"?

FreeMarket holds the distinction of being both the most genuinely transhumanist RPG I've ever seen, and the most optimistic. It's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom set in a wildly overcrowded O'Neill Cylinder, with a population of functionally immortal anarchists overseen by a benevolent but non-sapient AI that ensures an equitable distribution of resources. The PCs are members of an ad hoc group of people who've come together to do something cool and interesting that they're all jazzed about, both as an act of self-actualization and a way to participate in FreeMarket's literal reputation economy, where being well-liked and making or doing things the community appreciates leads to having more resources allocated to you by the AI so you can do bigger and better things.

As a game, it's very strange, and I won't even attempt to summarize its mechanics other than to say that it's diceless and involves a lot of cards and tokens. It would probably play pretty well on Roll20 if someone set up the assets for it, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

LongDarkNight posted:

It's still hands down the best CCG ever made at high level play so jump back in.

I'd love to hear more about this. A lot of my friends used to play that game back in the day, but I was always a M:tG player and never bothered to seriously examine it. What makes the Star Wars CCG so compelling for high-level play?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

AlphaDog posted:

Fiasco is a really fun game. Playing it felt like being a character in a movie like Fargo or Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. It differs significantly from games like D&D, but for a group of 3 with no GM it's a super great choice. It's pretty light on rules, so you could probably play within 5 minutes or reading the book.

Fiasco is a great game, but AlphaDog points out something here that's really important: it's meant to be essentially The Coen Brothers RPG. It is really good at being the Coen Brothers RPG, but only if your group has internalized those kinds of stories in the first place. It's extremely rules-light, because it uses the group's genre savvy as a (often highly effective) replacement for strict procedures. But if the players don't have enough exposure to things like Lock Stock and Fargo, they may not know what they should be doing to push the scenes in the direction they need to go. Fiasco gets recommended a lot for new players, and it can be good for them, but it can also be confusing and underwhelming if the players don't have the right media exposure to immediately "get" what it's trying to do and jump on it.

The Quiet Year might suit your needs, An Overdue Owl, especially if your vacation is taking you out into nature. It's a combination roleplaying game and board game, except you're creating the board as you go, and the role you're playing is the shared control of a post-apocalyptic community.

• Locked thread