Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I don't think this is a shitpost, Queen`Fiona. (Referring to the thread tag.) I think it's much better than anything some others have posted.

As for your question, well, I found all of you through TG...and, well, suffice it to say that I'm much more comfortable talking about...weird things. Like my sexuality. At least with you all. So...thanks. :unsmith:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Ningyou posted:

Effectronica I do not know when you changed your avatar but I am impressed by your ~*~radical honesty~*~.

Definitely more up-front than others, that's a plus.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I thought the system was called "Cortex+"? :confused:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Some of us don't have that option, you realize.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

Ah, yes, the same logic that gave us 'Thedas', THe Dragon Age Setting. (I will never get over this.)

THAT'S where that name comes from?! Are you kidding me?

Queen Fiona posted:

Well, as a title, it tells me literally nothing but that it has a funny name that's fun to say - it doesn't even evoke a proper mood beyond Caveman. Not that other Traditional Game names are great! I mean, Dungeons & Dragons has dragons, but there's no particular focus on medieval prison facilities.

(I'm so sorry.)

Real talk, though, that setting sounds kind of lame and...overextended? That's a lot of different genres mixing together, like some really bad mash-up T-shirt. (Or RIFTS.)

I have to agree. I read the F&F review of Torg and it just sounded incredibly boring. Maybe if it laser-focused on one of them it'd be interesting, but as it was it sounded like one of those settings where there's no hope for anybody because grimdark, and that's boring as hell.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

inklesspen posted:

And resume discussion of elfgames.

Specifically, I'd like to talk about how game and setting designers can construct things to make it more likely the PCs will need to broker a difficult peace between King Ulfbright and the orc tribes instead of taking a commission from King Ulfbright to slay the orc tribes. A good first start is to strip "Always Chaotic Evil" and such language, but I think there's more to be done than that; most elfgame RPGs have more pagecount devoted to waging war than waging peace.

Do you want no fighting at all or just no treating orcs as the bad guys just because they're orcs?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

inklesspen posted:

Go away please.

I've got to agree here. Sorry Plutonis is being...Plutonis in your chat thread, Queen Fiona.

As for what makes a monster in a D&D setting...aren't there a ton of spells that allow one to talk to plants and animals and extradimensional beasties and stuff? And since all these griffins and the like have to cast spells, don't they get high INT scores to do so? So sapience or INT score or ability to communicate in a language don't seem like they get the desired effect.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Am I allowed to quote HG Wells in my defense on my predilection for violence in tabletop gaming, or does his quote from the end of Little Wars only apply to historical-ish wargame (or at least decently researched) settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

mycot posted:

If nothing else these violent board games are probably a nicer alternative to public hangings and gladiator matches.

Little Wars, by H.G. Wells, pacifist and wargamer posted:

And if I might for a moment trumpet! How much better is this amiable miniature than the Real Thing! Here is a homeopathic remedy for the imaginative strategist. Here is the premeditation, the thrill, the strain of accumulating victory or disaster—and no smashed nor sanguinary bodies, no shattered fine buildings nor devastated country sides, no petty cruelties, none of that awful universal boredom and embitterment, that tiresome delay or stoppage or embarrassment of every gracious, bold, sweet, and charming thing, that we who are old enough to remember a real modern war know to be the reality of belligerence...My game is just as good as their game, and saner by reason of its size.

So...to what extent can we say that applies to TTRPGs along the D&D line, and what aspects make it not apply, and would those problematic aspects be exclusive to D&D patterned games or are they endemic to other genres and forms? I expect a 500 word theme on this by the end of next :commissar:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 31, 2015

• Locked thread