Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

I like a lot of cosmic horror in my dungeon crawls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

inklesspen posted:

Also you like 12161 zombies that are scared of magic plant music.

Actually, I do.

I like a lot of weird, irrational nonsense.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's the most fun character everyone has played?

Split between my sleep-deprived dream-shaman from an Unknown Armies game and my rich-kid hipster vampire from a Requiem game.

Mostly because they both came up with schemes that ended up in glorious failure.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Man, I have no idea what setting I wanna run next time I GM a d20 game. Dark Sun is cool because I like deserts and survivalist stuff, Ravenloft is nice because it's got some decent spooky stuff, and Glorantha is great because it's super detailed and has so much variety.

I've got an itch to run a Ravenloft game based on the style of Hammer horror films, in tribute to Sir Christopher Lee.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

So I am the recent owner of Sine Nomine's Silent Legions (:neckbeard:).

It is a great toolset for a game master or world builder.

It brings up an interesting question though that I can't seem to figure out how to resolve. Can you run a sandbox horror game? Does the nature of a sandbox investigation/exploration game detract from horror?

To me a horror game hinges on the mystery first and foremost to draw players in and then end with a revelation as the payoff in the climax of the story. The house really is haunted by an undead cultist in the Call of Cthulhu scenario the Haunting. The investigators discover the true nature of the March family in The Wives of March or the Innsmouth taint is revealed in any Innsmouth game.

Mystery novels depend on a great deal of structure in their rising action to use foreshadowing and red herrings as clues or to keep you guessing to set up the emotional impact of the final revelation. The best Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen and Doyle novels have this structure in spades.

Sandbox games by their nature are pretty unstructured.

How can you reconcile the two?

This sounds amazing, and it may be my next purchase. I've been looking for a way to apply the sandbox model to Unknown Armies, and this may be right up my alley.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Well, the Silent Legions sure do talk a lot

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Just a guess, but it might be a setup like Stars Without Number where the space sector/city power structure skeleton is randomly generated (as well as plot hooks), but adding depth to the plot hooks to flesh out a full-fledged mystery is left up to the GM.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I'm working on a sci-fi DW hack that I hope will lie somewhere in crunch between Lasers and Feelings and Stars Without Number.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Covok posted:

Welp, got to hit the low-hanging fruit: I like how there is a Faps stat so I know how quickly our fighter can pound one out while he's waiting for the wizard to solve everything.

Roll your Body Control.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm really, really hoping this won't suck.

TORG GIRL SQUAD

- SOUL CALIBER GUY!

- WHITE SAMURAI GIRL!

- *NOT* THE SHADOW!

- CYBERPUNK RAVE GIRL!

- GENERIC WHITE GUY!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

So it's like a Bioware game, but "rear end in a top hat" is the default dialogue option?

Sold

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Covok posted:

Wil Wheaton's RPG Show, Titan's Grave, released a sourcebook for Fantasy Age for anyone who watches.

Also, to those who watch, is it any good?

Also, I find it funny how all you can see in the preview is two maps.

Edit: Also, looks like the goon made Battle Century G is also out. Congrats.

I like the podcast; it starts off slow, but it picks up once the players find a "voice" for their characters. The accompanying music and art that goes along with the descriptions also helps keep it more visually stimulating than your average RPG podcast. Overall it's just a group of people genuinely having a good time telling a story together, and it shows.

I would've gone with a different style for the art; it's the overpainted Photoshop fantasy art you see on M:tG cards. But that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there any traditional fantasy/D&D-type games that are specifically designed for or would work well with just 2 players+a DM? I know pretty much every edition of D&D ever has assumed 4 to 5 players, and I'd like something with a bit more crunch than Dungeon World.

Kevin Crawford's Scarlet Heroes is an OSR hack specifically designed to run a trad fantasy RPG with only 1 player and 1 GM, and it prob wouldn't be difficult to run it 2-player with some modification.

• Locked thread