Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is everyone's favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons? Mine is 3.5th Edition because it has a lot of transhumanism, because you can be many transhumanist races such as Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Wizard, Gnome, and Half-Orc.

Pathfinder is my favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to create a tabletop gaming music thread. I'm about to ask my players to go along with some... different music choices for some upcoming boss fights and someone should probably tell me that it's going to be jarring (not in the good way) switch them from generally atmospheric music that avoids sounding too modern (like some Witcher 3 combat music) to things like, well, the Titan theme from FFXIV. My intention is for it to be intentionally jarring, because I'm reserving modern musical genres for otherworldly or extremely monstrous enemies, but I worry it'll be jarring in a bad way.

(I definitely need to be talked out of using Shiva's theme, too.)

Intentionally jarring in the "unexpectedly modern" sense: a large amount of the SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Baroque soundtracks will work. Whatever you pick, as long as it's not really overbearing, they probably won't be too thrown by it even if it doesn't perfectly fit or whatever. Just make sure it's appropriate as background music that stays in the background.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

If you want something that sounds more modern but fitting with fantasy, I suppose you could try the Drakengard soundtrack, which is mostly samples of orchestral music remade to sound rather jarring and dark. It might be a little too much though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZcNsaa-98&index=38&list=PL9C76300F15CC9EBD

Also if you haven't heard of Drakengard, I recommend to never actually play any of the games in the series because they all suck.

Nier is worth playing, but definitely not the others.

Dec 26, 2012

I honestly didn't remember there was a third one.

Dec 26, 2012

It doesn't really help anyone to get extremely defensive about a mild response, you know.

Dec 26, 2012

In a world where Streum on is doing Space Hulk, anything is possible.

Dec 26, 2012

Len posted:

Man you guys are making me want to pick up the 13th Age book because it sounds genuinely interesting.

It's really a question of what you're looking for. It mostly fits the bill for my needs but if you're looking for a more 4E-like experience, try out Strike.

Dec 26, 2012

Most of its flaws are the standard D&D stuff that it didn't have the chutzpah to step appreciably away from.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is what I mean when I say it tries to do too many things. It wants to have its cake and eat it too w/r/t classic D&D mechanics and class design but also having later D&D mechanics and class design and it never meshed well for me.

Understandable.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Same problem with 4e's Essentials, basically.

Let's not go too far here.

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

My only real issues with 13th Age are the few stripped-down classes, it's true. Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger are all perfectly effective, but they're really boring in the process. Paladin at least works great as a multiclass with the 13 True Ways Commander class (which is what one of my players is doing). Also, damage numbers kind of spiral out of control. I think Heinsoo and Tweet kind of got caught up in "big numbers are fun!" and just ran with it.

I like most everything else about it, though. The engagement rules for combat are a nice, easy way to handle opportunity attacks and "tanking" mechanics.

The fighter is fine, but realistically it should be the lower end of complexity instead of the middle ground.

Dec 26, 2012

Loki_XLII posted:

Yeah, I've always wondered why people seem to hate the Fighter so much. It's an interesting take on a simple class, that still has something to do, and can do something different every single turn, if they're lucky. The Fighter could be better, but I like flexible attacks as a mechanic, and I've had fun playing the Fighter, a lot more than I have had with the Ranger, which is actually a class that is way too simple.

It's got many class features, especially early on, that are traps, are really only useful for one kind of fighter, or work really counterintuitively. It works if you know your options but once you've drilled down that subset, there are significant build diversity issues, far more so than any other class.

Dec 26, 2012

In practice, though, most fights end on turn 2-3 so most of that doesn't much matter. Good concept, execution is a bit off.

Dec 26, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, looking for advice on ending sessions when the players roll bad. I generally have no problem coming up with good Twists and fail-forward moments when the players roll bad and there's plenty of session left. But when it's time to call it quits and the players roll bad... then what? I generally come up with something, but it takes me twice as long as usual and I feel like I could be doing better.

I'm basically posting because I just now thought of an amazing twist ending to the session I finished yesterday and I'm annoyed at how lame what I came up with was by comparison. And it's not the first time I've had trouble with end-of-session failures. Any tips?

Tack on a detail or a degree of urgency/severity to an existing one. No sense piling them on if characters have a lovely luck streak.

Dec 26, 2012

Ryan Dancey's going to make you his bitch.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Gaaaaaamerrrrrrrrrrgaaaaaaaate!

Dec 26, 2012

Len posted:

Hey if he's unrepentant then sure why not. But I dunno. Seems like a stretch to go "Hey you can't be in our hobby" yet be completely okay with all the other creepy people that play magic. I guess as long as you don't get in trouble for sexually harassing (yes aware that's lower than rape) they don't care that dudes get creepy around women all the time.

It's really not a stretch to ban the rapist from playing, but not the other people, who are not rapists.

Dec 26, 2012

It's not like the guy will jump on the table while playing magic, scream "Raep tiem!!!" and brutally cornhole the opposing player after all.

Of course not, that would clearly be a disqualifying maneuver.

Dec 26, 2012

inklesspen posted:

Perhaps we can stop discussing whether DCI should consider "convicted felon" to be a protected category against which it is verboten to discriminate

And resume discussion of elfgames.

Specifically, I'd like to talk about how game and setting designers can construct things to make it more likely the PCs will need to broker a difficult peace between King Ulfbright and the orc tribes instead of taking a commission from King Ulfbright to slay the orc tribes. A good first start is to strip "Always Chaotic Evil" and such language, but I think there's more to be done than that; most elfgame RPGs have more pagecount devoted to waging war than waging peace.

1) Don't use the setting to play D&D or any of the thousand systems that are trying to be D&D

Dec 26, 2012

Assuming that's not an option (it's never a serious option, is it?), consider why they're orcs at all if the concept of what an orc is has been neutered such that you would consider brokering peace with them a reasonable solution.

Dec 26, 2012

Bwuuuuuuhhh??? Nani Soreeee???!? What in the seven hells?! The TTRPG that evolved from a tactical wargame is more mechanically based on brutally and insanelly hacking people and monsters to death with swords and magic than diplomacy????

I think you'll find that the d20 system is suited to every manner of playstyle, friend - and, with its revolutionary free license, every manner of lifestyle.

Dec 26, 2012

Glagha posted:

Just make your players fight demons. They're literally born evil it's fine.

Well I mean orcs used to be hateful, twisted corruptions of the elves made by not-Satan, but then somewhere along the line someone made them an actual distinct race without appreciably changing how they're framed with regards to being a problem that needs fixing, so here we are.

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, it looks like the Cypher Core Book (the "generic Numenera") was released yesterday too; that's probably the other reason DriveThru's borked.

Generic in what sense? Just in the way of removing it from the setting or stripping out things like the remotely interesting foci?

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm still not sold one way or the other on Numenera; I feel like I should like it because it has elements I enjoy, but the only time I've ever been able to play was with a terrible GM who kept forgetting rules and didn't think to have the characters be appropriate for the adventure in a one-session demo.

I ran and played it for a little bit after it came out. It was ok at first but after awhile there's really just not enough depth to it and eventually my group gave up trying to make it interesting. It would probably be good for one-shots because there's very little barrier to entry.

Dec 26, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

DSA is like that all the time. The setting is the rules. Or rather, the rules are a description of the setting. There's hardly any separation going on save for the bare minimum you need to be able to treat it as a game.

That's a feature if anything.

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I just wanted to say how saddened I am that the most popular ttg in France isn't some horrifying EYE Divine Cybermancy based monstrosity.

I swear I read somewhere that they based the game off their tabletop setting, so hope springs eternal.

Dec 26, 2012

Tulpa posted:

you're better off just shooting everyone with the gun you get in the tutorial of the game because it is literally the easiest most effective option in every scenario.

That's basically completely wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Ohhh that does sound pretty cool and I might try it... Although what I really want is a TRPG that is on the same "Real Robot" genre and related mechanics as Armored Core, Front Mission or hell, even Mechwarrior, although ever since Mekton (which was better played for Super Robot genre games any way) there weren't many of those.

This might still be a little far afield but look up Lunar Reckoning 69. It's not complete as far as I know but it's been in a relatively playable form for a good while.

• Locked thread