Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Just ask yourself "What would League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1950 would like"

Oh yeah Black Dossier forgot about it

Everyone who reads western comics should be executed with .50 machinegun rounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1e2TPGqZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

P-Pretend I said American!!!

League of Extraordinary Gentleman might be created by two men from England, but it's published in America through the American comics industry system and made for American sensibilities. Much like, for example, Peepo Choo is still a manga despite being made by an American. Do you want a cigarette while the firing squad prepares? :smaug:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ningyou posted:

Disturb you? No, nononono, dear friend, you misunderstand. You see....my terrible posting is my gift to you, sweet Effectronica, a gift from the bottom of my heart, a gift only one of refined tastes -- one such as yourself -- would be able to properly appreciate.

*licks the screen, tongue lingering and tracing swirls over a Good Post* De~li~cious.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Diana Jones Award, an actual award has announced it's shortlist of nominees: http://www.dianajonesaward.org/

I hope the Guide to Glorantha wins.

I also hope that Moon Design merely had to give out a PDF or two to the Ennie judges, otherwise they're out a ton of cash for something they certainly won't win, after all, the new Player's Handbook is in the Product of the Year category :smaug:

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is everyone's favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons? Mine is 3.5th Edition because it has a lot of transhumanism, because you can be many transhumanist races such as Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Wizard, Gnome, and Half-Orc.

BECMI or Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 3, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

:bravo:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to create a tabletop gaming music thread.

I did this awhile back. It's fallen into archives though. I think because I was listening to a lot of post-rock and retrowave it ended up being mostly about stuff for cyberpunk games.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Escalation Die is a d6 that starts at 1 on the second round of combat, and increases by one each round. It's added to the PC's attack rolls (to represent the spinning-up in combat), and some abilities trigger when the die hits a certain point. Barbarians can rage for free when the Escalation Die is 3+, instead of it coming out of their daily allotment, for instance.

Icons are the major setting NPCs, who the characters have relationships with due to working for or against them. It's a way of having powerful important NPCs that don't make the PCs irrelevant, because the Icons are generally busy doing things like running the world to deal with smaller-level threats, which is what they need PCs for. They're also sources of gear, information, and threats for the characters.

It's a way of solving the Elminster problem; if Elminster is the most powerful wizard in the world and can snap his fingers and solve any problem, then why does he risk having the PCs do it? In 13th Age, it's because the Archmage (the Elminster equivalent) is too busy researching and casting spells that hold reality together or stop mad gods from steamrollering the world to deal with that poo poo.

Some monsters have abilities that trigger when the Escalation Die hits a certain number as well, so it's not entirely one-sided.

Icons aren't just major NPCs as well, they're the major NPCs who matter to the game. Some king in a distant land who's never ever going to come into play or isn't very important if they do isn't an Icon.

loving literalist, one day you'll goddamn pay you son of a bitch.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zarick posted:

D&D is (and always has been) what you make of it. I mean, your game is 13th Age, which is pretty much just fancied up D&D. Mostly the base assumptions of D&D are about What D&D Should Be, which is probably fine for its own thing. I've just never understood the animosity towards it just as I've never understood the animosity within of people who don't want to try new systems. Neither really makes sense. Is it fun? Good. Play it. Is it not fun? Play something else, or mix it up, change things to be fun for your group. Easy.

I get it, it's because it's positioned as the Default Game Everyone Must Play™. I'm a huge fan, but I don't agree with that, and it does the game no favors. People feel like they have to react against it as a result. It's the same with superhero comics, where for the longest time, there were a ton of independent comics that amounted to screeds about how much the creators loving hated capes. Still got a bit of that going on, too.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Some of us don't have that option, you realize.

No gaming is better than bad gaming; don't blame something for not being what you want it to be. It's one thing to dislike it all together, or the direction of the current edition's design or to be frustrated because it's all people want to play, but yelling at D&D for not being Fate or some poo poo is fruitless.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Because you're afraid to talk to people like an adult?

This too. Listen if people in your area just want to play D&D and you don't tell them "No thanks, I'm not a fan" and look for someone who wants to play a game of your choice.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 4, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Davin if you're being bullied into playing a game you don't like, you can tell us. It's okay. If someone makes you feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do, that person is not really your friend.

Roll the d20 poindexter!!!!! Figure out your loving initiative before I swirly your storygame loving rear end again.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

It feels like they made a game specifically to make me happy, because Tara Platt always makes me happy (eeeeeeeeee Mitsuru), as does holy poo poo tons of other stuff, but then the gameplay happens.

I feel like I'd enjoy it more than Ningyou, but I wanna play Nier first and ehhhhhhhhhhhhh :effort:

All games are defined by their core assumptions, whether one breaks them or not. It's not unhelpful to discuss these assumptions, and where they might cause problems either at the individual game level, or the broader cultural level. It's easy to say 'change things up', and it is indeed a thing people do. But there are people who don't do this, and the framework you create has an effect on every change you make. My own 13th Age campaign, for instance, is seeing characters of substantially higher 'power level' (in terms of uniqueness, flashiness, etc rather than 'they're not dirt farmers ugh') than I originally imagined. Now, it's not bad or anything, and I'm working with it because it's producing a lot of interesting and brilliant apps, but the choice of 13th Age shaped the game's characters in a different way as compared to the other systems I was considering, even when my specific changes are taken into account.

This becomes extremely important when the entire hobby is defined by a single game's brand, so, y'know. Your argument is fine in a context-free vacuum, but we live in a world where things have meanings and connotations past their stated intent. It's an especially poor argument when it's been a go-to answer to shut down any kind of criticism or higher-level analysis of a system, which, surprise surprise, is usually D&D.

Please do not insult my good friends. If your friends don't want to play the games you like, that can be an issue - and people can still be your friends even if you're annoyed that all they play is X system. Confrontation can be difficult, and getting together a game and teaching a new system isn't particularly easy. (I should know!)

Also, don't insult my friends.

Don't insult my friends. This is like the argument of avoiding harassment on Twitter by not using Twitter. I mean, sure, you could probably find a new group in the area, but getting to know new people is hard and full of pitfalls, and those pitfalls only increase with the matter of gender and queerness. The fact that I had a lasting RL group from a pickup game was a loving miracle, and people shouldn't be expected to not be unhappy that their friends don't play the games they want. New friends are hard to make.

I suppose if you treat a game as something completely disposable and interchangeable, that attitude makes more sense, but some of us like to make friends and interact with the people we game with besides Other People Who Play This Game. RPGs aren't like card games or miniature games where the other player doesn't matter so much, or at least I would hope they aren't. Investment in the story is investment in the group, end of line.

No one is insulting your friends by suggesting not playing with them if you don't like D&D and they do isn't necessarily a horrible thing. I don't do everything with every friend I have. Also, having different tastes in games is not equivalent to twitter harassment.

Also, no one is saying that analysis or criticism of D&D is bad. It's just not some sort of crime to enjoy it. I hate loving 3.5 but it ain't a tragedy that people play it to the extent that sometimes I have a hard time finding people to play Call of Cthulhu or old D&D or Ars Magica or what the gently caress ever.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

You want to see insulting? Well, okay.

*watches old Triumph the Insult Comic Dog sketches and tries to think of something good*

A great post...

for me to poop on!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Totally without irony here, 13th Age isn't very good. Tries to do a lot of things and doesn't really manage them. I don't play enough lately to say what's a good tactical combat RPG ala 13th age or D&D, but that's not it.

I disagree with this fine gentleman. It's not perfect and most of the flaws are in some class design, but for the most part it did what it set out to do. But that's the wonder of the magical internet, we can disagree and still be the best of friends.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I mostly think the Druid is too unfocused and wants to be every version of that concept.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dark Sun with Eberron Lightning Rails and magical chariots so you can do a Fury Road game

agreed but make sure everything is made of bones

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm not any kind of expert on sandbox play, but doesn't the book explain how it's expected to be run?

Speaking of which, I know a lot of people around here enjoy Crawford's games; why aren't there any PbPs of them going on?

Good question. I went to the PbP page and was pleasantly surprised to see a Beyond the Wall game. Maybe I should check the Game Room and the Recruitment Thread more often than never???

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A modern sandbox is a cool idea. Just grab a slice of a state or something and go nuts.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Why loving play Arkham Horror when actual Call of Cthulhu is easier to play and more sensical?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

So like I said in another thread I'm starting up a pirate D&D campaign with some friends. Some of them are new to tabletop RPGs but they all have one thing in common, they've all played at least one of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and the Neverwinter games. I've decided it would be cool as a result to set the game in the Forgotten Realms North. I'm looking at what I want to keep or eject and one of the latter is the whole thing where Amn colonizes Maztica. I'm a little unsure of whether I should just remove the event entirely, or say the attempt happened but the wannabe colonizers had their poo poo pushed in totally. What do you all think?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 6, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Well the reason I bring up Maztica is because it's mentioned in Baldur's Gate 2 a bunch, which all my friends have played. I'm also thinking about making the captain of the ship from there. Plus I think the idea of the fake Aztecs kicking the rear end of some bumbling wannabe colonists is a good one but maybe I'm a dumb gently caress and the idea would just be awkward. I mean really I'm not asking for permission, just doing a sounding board thing to see if it's a good idea outside of my head.

Looting Freeport is a pretty good idea.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Besides Menzoberranzan, which I have, what were those system/edition neutral books that WotC put out near the end of 4e and between editions?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I'm not one of those guys who suggests Fate for everything, but if you're looking to capture the more sitcom side of Futurama it might work well.

drrockso20 posted:

well luckily outside of combat(and somewhat character creation) Gamma World isn't that complicated, and the crunch isn't that bad, especially since Gamma World simplifies D&D 4E quite a bit, just gotta keep in mind that it has a somewhat high lethality built into it

High lethality is probably a good thing for Futurama, especially if you're playing as one of Professor Farnsworth's old crews, or something modeled on that idea.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

But how does that relate to a card game?

I dunno, because they don't want a rapist to be publicly associated with their card game?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

They're cool with a guy who did time for drugs though?

This isn't loving reddit, you're not going to find much sympathy for this idiotic point of view here, friendo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gazetteer posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that that's probably less of a big deal than being a rapist. Like, I'm pretty sure that the "went to jail for sexual assault" part is kind of more important here than the "went to jail" part.

No you don't understand with Zach Jesse banned, it's only a matter of time before Wizards bans me for shoplifting a candy bar when I was 8.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to play a card game with a rapist either. But the articles I'd read made it sound like he got busted, did his time, and moved on with his life. They didn't say he was "unrepentant" or make it sound like he was gonna rape again at any time. If he's really still a shitheel then sure kick him from the hobby for 100 years.

You read lovely articles. He refers to it as "the incident" and if he's sorry for anything, it's that he got caught. He also did 3 months on a work release program out of an eight year sentence, that itself was the result of a plea bargain. They went that route because it was quite obvious his rich family were going to throw expensive lawyers at the victim for the "they were drunk she was asking for it and we're going to stretch this out for months and make her relive it" gambit. Dude's human poo poo.

But all that doesn't matter because Wizards aren't trying to punish him, they're deciding to not associate with a rapist, which is their choice. They're a private corporation, and professional level play exists to promote the game. DCI's function is to protect that promotion.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Serf posted:

Whoa, can Trail of Cthulhu support an action-adventure pulp kinda game? It looked like it was more about investigation and dying horribly rather than busting down the doors and spraying the shoggoth with a Thompson.

Yes, this is even called the Pulp Style in the game.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm okay with the assumption that maybe we shouldn't treat people who did their time and possibly even learned why what they did was wrong as human garbage who must be tormented for the rest of their natural lives. That kind of approach seems like it's going to lead to more crime and not less.

Can't really say the same for people who used family money to force their victims into silence, though.

But not being able to "professionally" play elf poker isn't being "tormented"???

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

No, but the attitude behind it is "it's okay to treat this guy as subhuman garbage for the rest of his life."

I don't think that attitude does anything to reduce sex crime.

EDIT: And at this point, we start to move into the territory where we replace this terrible guy with some hypothetical repentant and less-terrible guy for the sake of argument, and you know what, I'm not going to do that today.

If he wanted to be treated nicely maybe he should have refrained from raping anyone. Just a shot in the dark here.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It's pretty easy if you want antagonistic orcs who have the potential to be reasoned with to just bash them into being post-TOS klingons or brutalized by oppressive rulers or gods or even just make the small contingent of orcs the players are facing jerks. You don't have to run some awkward deconstruction.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am pretty sure there is no such thing as an evil halfling.

Dark Sun's cannibalistic halflings are pretty horrible.

Also, kender :getin:

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 16, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Arivia posted:

Jumping in on this if its not too late. Canonically, Amn DID get their rear end kicked, basically. Maztica was a failure that destabilized the government and lead to Amn's shattering in the 1360s-1370s and the rise of the Sothilissian Empire. If you want more details, look at Lands of Intrigue for 2e.

If you're just playing in the North, keep Maztica as a failure. It sets up strife among the Waterdhavian noble houses, and Amn's issues open up new trade opportunities for the northern ports. Luskan, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep can all benefit from filling gaps the Amnish trade opens up beyond Velen. In other words, Maztica as failure is the perfect opening for new intrigues, like your pirate group.

There's a description I've read somewhere of the colony being extremely profitable for Amn so I didn't realize this. Was it a failure in the Maztica boxed set, that was quite early on if I remember? I'm less knowledgeable about late 2e FR stuff since that was when I was a kid and I was mostly focused on how rockin' Drizzt was then, and I've been refocusing on early FR. You know Arivia your FR knowledge is pretty drat extensive and useful, thanks for sharing it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gotta love all the "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" posts in this thread.

frest posted:

This may be a weird place to ask this, but what are the odds that a game store could function as a tax mitigation scheme situation? Like I look at the revolving door of opening/closing stores in my area, and it seems like they're a surefire way to lose money. If I could be like, modestly unprofitable and lose enough to offset my earnings elsewhere, while also having a decent place to play games on weeknights, that wouldn't be that bad I guess?

I dunno, something I've been kicking around. I know you can't have a business lose money forever or the IRS reclassifies it as a hobby, but I feel like as long as you sell Magic cards and snacks/sodas you could probably make enough money to avoid that? I'd probably have to draw up an actual business plan here.

As a way to make a living, it seems suicidal. As a way to almost-break-even most of the time while also paying for a place to play and store a ton of loving wargames, that makes more sense to me. Does this make any sense?

Are you trying to get us to help you commit fraud?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

They're generally just lovely stores run by people with no business sense who figure it's super easy to monetize their hobbies.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Guilty Spork posted:

With all the horrible, inexcusable stuff that happened to Mikan (not that there weren't entirely too many people willing to make excuses for it), the part about people actually griping that Last Stand has a black woman on the cover is almost funny.

Holy god who in the gently caress said this

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Morrus isn't a ttg guy, he's a D&D guy (for specific values of D&D). He owns ENWorld. Also making a real sad looking heartbreaker.

Tell me it's called Bathminder.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Not to temper the TORG excitement but remember that technically _Masterbook_ is a streamlined version of the TORG rules, so...

I assume it is going to use the old system somehow since it's being overseen by a fan, but there's nothing stopping it from being an extremely cleaned up version of the game.

The Totalbiscuit recommended tabletop game sale would be dope.

I for one would love creepy hour long soundclouds about RPG designers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

an overdue owl posted:

Hey! I was redirected here from another thread and this thread might be equally unsuitable but maybe someone can give me some advice?

Me, my dad and my brother have no real experience with DnD or any other role-playing game. We're going on holiday together next month and all three of us were thinking we might want to try a game out in the evenings. Is three people too small a group to do anything with? If it is, do you guys have any recommendations for board games or card games? If three *isn't* too small, do you have any recommendations for people who are pretty much completely new to this stuff? We are experienced players of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! and that's about it.

If you like superheroes, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is a good choice for small groups. It scales pretty well. The problem is it's out of print, and some people find it hard to grasp at first. I think your background in gamebooks should help though.

• Locked thread