Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oh man, I forgot that we change chat thread each month and was wondering why nobody was posting anything
Hello chat thread, how are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"Always evil" races exist to give murderhobos something easy to kill. The fact that they are often described as either savages or slave-holding tyrannies is to show to the players that it's okay to cut them down to the hundreads; the fact that this is similar to the tactics used by imperialist nations to justify colonizing other civilizations adds to the unpleasantness.

Of course, like you mentioned, this isn't strictly necessary, but from the point of view of the average D&D GM coming up with a serious reason for conflict is needless extra work, especially when all of his manuals encourage him to keep othering the "non-civilized" races and watch as his players cut them down for XP.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

On the other hand I have players that automatically assume every vaguely humanoid creature has a society and laws and government and probably a very good reason for burning that village to the ground that the king would understand if he only knew.

That assumption extends to the rampaging mindless undead, in the face of the rampaging mindless undead attacking civilians, while on a divinely mandated mission to end the threat of the rampaging mindless undead.

Honestly that sounds like a quality problem to have.

e: throw them a curve ball and give a non-humanoid group of monsters a civilization, see if they start checking if gelatinous cubes are willing to cooperate.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 16, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Are there any settings where dwarves are evil, for example?
I am pretty sure there is no such thing as an evil halfling.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's a shame that Monsterpocalypse had such an ignominous end, it was a nice concept. If I remember correctly, what killed it was that it the most effective tactic was turtling up and never using all the cool attacks that they invented for it?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This video is pretty cringey, I won't lie, but hey, they guy's having fun and he's not hurting anyone. Would that all examples of nerdom were as harmless. He's even using those magnifying goggles in a context where they debatably make sense, since they could be useful to check the edge of a blade.

I will point out that a steampunk weapon store that seems to only sell blades is a little disappointing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Happy Gary Gygax Day, everyone.

That quote seriously sort of hurts, knowing what his legacy is. :(

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Definitely the latter.

On p. 11 there's a "Roleplaying in Eoris" section.

If you collect RPGs at all, this is totally worth $15.

I am not entirely sure it's playable, but it's at least more comprehensible than Immortal: The Invisible War, and I paid more for that back in the early 90's

There are real life religions with way weirder basic concepts. It's pretty cool that the guy made an RPG with the intent of spiritually awaken those who play it, and I agree that the sheet looks beautiful.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have a request of help aimed at people familiar with Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine.
I am trying once again to wrap my head around it, after a long pause wherein real life got in the way, as it often does. I'd like to get a definitive handle on genres, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some examples of them from other kinds of media? Here's what I've got, which isn't much:

-Pastoral: drawing a blank here, but interestingly the example of play I found is of a Pastoral game
-Gothic: this is a well documented genre, but I feel that his Chuubo counterpart is based more on interaction than some of its literary counterparts would make you believe: the Monk is certainly playable using these rules, but so is The Rats in the Wall by Lovecraft or even Pride and Prejudice, now that I think about it.
-Immersive Fantasy: the first part of Harry Potter, when Harry is still discovering all the wonders of the wizards' world, certainly qualifies. Other than that, I don't know.
-Techno: this is one of the genres that confuses me the most. I once saw an animation on Youtube featuring a woman who was supposed to erase a picture that I think was painted on the floor of some building, but ends up falling in it and befriending the chubby dragon who she almost cancelled; I guess that is the feeling it's aiming for?
-Road of Trials: this is an interlude sort of genre, when a character is at the very end of their rope, that is supposed to give away to another genre once the situation stabilizes. When Davos Seaworth is marooned on an island after the battle of King's Landing and hallucinates the gods refusing to help him because he let their idols burn is the first example that comes to mind.
-Fairy Tales: apart from Fairy tales themselves (Cinderella suffers a symbolical metamorphosis when she gets her nickname as a consequence of sleeping next to the hearth; she then does a very patient variant of Never Say Die! as she endures their abuse, then she suffers Trauma when they rip her dress to shreds, finally she suffers another Metamorphosis when she gets her glass slippers and the pumpkin couch) I have no idea.
-Epic Fantasy: Knights of the Round Table and the Homeric epics; various mythological tales and a couple of fairy tales with unusually large scope like The Death of Koschei the Deathless
-Adventure Fantasy: The average D&D game is probably some variant of this; possibly some episodes of the first seasons of Adventure Time.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I backed Chuubo's at first because it sounded like an awesome project, and then I got a chance to look at the documents and my eyes quickly glazed over and I had no idea what was going on, and ended up deciding to sit it out and maybe wait and check it out later down the line. Does anyone have any stories or accounts of the game in action?

My impression is that this is a common problem with people reading about this game; there are no less than two threads about this on RPG.net.

Flavivirus posted:

Pastoral is definitely meant to emulate slice-of-life anime, maybe with some fantastical elements but not at all required. Something like Haibane Renmei is a great example of that (though that would also work for Gothic). Techno is... a strange name for the genre, but basically relates to fantasy stories which occasionally slide into metaphor and weird abstractions - anime like Revolutionary Girl Utena is a great example, as is Penguindrum. A few of its genres are only big in anime, but that's the kind of game it is.

Ah, that might explain some of my confusion: I consume very little anime, so I might have never seen some of these genres in action.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

There actually is a system to play a Slice of Life sort of game whose mechanics even encourage you to do so and stay within genre.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 31, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Also, Siivola specifically mentioned that he's not complaining about the overabundance of stakes, but of the fact that the only stakes that seem acceptable to game designers are lives.

That being said, that is not exactly true. Off the top of my head, I can think of no less than three games that don't necessarily expect your character to lose life and limb, and I am not the most knowledgeable person on the subject here.

Monsterhearts, Monsters and Other Childish Things and Chuubo again, in case you were curious.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I didn't know there was a game aimed specifically for that! That's cool, and I love the art. Might end up picking it up if I can.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Glazius posted:

For the record, the screed that may or may not be in question:

That seems like a very nice and appropriate passage, given what little I know about Unknown Armies. What's Yawgmoth complaining about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I think it's really loving sanctimonious and passive aggressive, much in the way I find Siivola's rant about "ugh this whole hobby started out with wargames and now everything is about people going places and doing things and sometimes those people and/or their friends are in mortal danger, :rolleyes:" to be a rather ridiculous complaint. The point of the game is (generally) to tell an interesting story. For the story to be interesting, you typically need the stakes to be high enough to warrant mention and the goal to be important enough to pursue and the conflict to be big enough to put your protagonists in danger. Getting all up in arms over "well you can have other danger than violence so why don't you, huh? HUH?!" is the kind of poo poo I'd expect out of a zero-tolerance elementary school teacher, not an RPG book.
That's a shame because it could have been worded so much better, but given what I know of UA it sounds like a lot of stuff could have been worded better. I don't want or need the writer assuming I'm already doing everything wrong before putting out the information he wants to convey in the next section.

Just to be absolutely sure, I reread both Siivola's post and the UA text and I feel that you are feeling attacked when there is no reason to, considering that what is being condemned isn't the presence of conflict, but the fact that apparently nothing short the life or death of someone can motivate a character, or at the very least must be put on the line for a game to be played, and he even points out that there is nothing wrong with enjoying that.
As for UA, like Serf pointed out, it's supposed to take place in a setting very similar to our world, and since most RPG players don't start out in that mental space because they are conditioned by D&D, it makes sense to explain the situation while a the same time providing alternatives for people that maybe didn't think about them in the first place.

Apart from the fact that, as I said, this is not as universal as he says it is, I can sort of see where he's coming from.

• Locked thread