Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Queen Fiona posted:

Well, you're hardly alone there. D&D relies on a bunch of base assumptions of What Roleplaying Should Be that really chafe on...well, lots of people. Including a lot of the people who play it, who seem like they'd be happier playing something else! And this applies even in the case where fantasy, combat-centric murderhobo RPGs are an enjoyed pasttime of the theoretical player!

It's kind of a mess, but it'd be less of a problem if it weren't the RPG, and people weren't so hostile toward trying new systems. Seriously, people are really loving hostile. There's ample evidence of it in the various trials and tribulations people on this board have been through.

Mind you, I try my best to break the mold, so I hope you can still come up with something nice for my campaign :ohdear:

D&D is (and always has been) what you make of it. I mean, your game is 13th Age, which is pretty much just fancied up D&D. Mostly the base assumptions of D&D are about What D&D Should Be, which is probably fine for its own thing. I've just never understood the animosity towards it just as I've never understood the animosity within of people who don't want to try new systems. Neither really makes sense. Is it fun? Good. Play it. Is it not fun? Play something else, or mix it up, change things to be fun for your group. Easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

My point is that that's stupid. It accomplishes nothing, even for the people doing it. If you don't like D&D, there are other games to play. If your friends refuse to try anything else, find new friends who will. (Getting rid of the old ones optional.)

• Locked thread