Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The TWAIN api for printers is my favorite thing like that.

As for combat in D&D, today I broke it to my irl DM that no, I was not having fun last week when I spent three turns in a row failing to roll higher than a 12 on a d20. The other three players seemed to be having a blast with their turns, though! He seemed genuinely shocked and I feel bad because he lost his excited mood. I really wish these people would play something other than Pathfinder/d20 stuff. Like, I know two people (DM included) own and have played actually fun systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

goodness posted:

What would be a good system to run a Futurama like campaign. A comedic adventure of space trips.

Lasers and Feelings.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A friend lent me his copy of the Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen and this may be the best TRPG book I've ever read.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Len posted:

So apparently Wizards of the Coast bans sex offenders from the DCI. Even if it happened ten years ago. And the guy did time. Unless I'm reading biased articles that seems a little overkill.

That guy got a sweet plea deal so his victim wouldn't have to recount the details at a trial and is completely unrepentant to this day. You're reading biased articles.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

You defended a rapist and only changed your mind due to social pressures. You don't think rape is that bad. You think rape should not be a barrier to playing a card game. You think not being allowed to play a card game is too high a price to pay for rape. You are a rape supporter. You support rape.

This bugs me too. Like, the guy was convicted, he is a rapist. There's no real room for "it's only bad if he didn't feel sorry."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

goodness posted:

And that should continue the rest of his life in various forms.

This guy wasn't in this case though, he did 3 months? in baby jail.

And he got to finish out his school year or whatever. It's disgusting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I don't think a rapist should be jailed alongside babies, fursonally.

:agreed:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

Babies are assholes though.

Kakyoin had the right idea.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Mark Rein☆(・ω<)Hagen

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Are you trying to get us to help you commit fraud?

Think of it like an exciting new live action roleplaying game!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is anyone else disappointed that the film Titanic wasn't titled "Watership Down?"

:captainpop:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Good luck!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Seconding this recommendation.

And if you want something quick and easy to learn with minimal dice rolling and a sci-fi bent, I'd suggest checking out Lasers and Feelings.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

e2: You could also try The Extraordinary Adventures Of Baron Munchausen, which is a game about telling tall stories.

Not only is a cool game, but it's also an amazing book. The most fun I've had reading the rules to an TRPG by far.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That is beautiful.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Siivola posted:

This is making me wonder what the favourite RPG of France is.

The only RPG out of France I've seen is Cadwallon and it is absolutely one of my favorite TRPGs ever.

If you're familiar with Battlestations, where every action is gameified to make the whole thing more like a board game, that's basically Cadwallon. Even social interactions and it is fantastic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm a little surprised to see neither has recieved a F&F writeup. Battlestations at least.I figured was popular enough. It toes the line between RPG and Boardgame, but I'd certainly put it more of the former as compared to the likes of say Warhammer Quest and Descent.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A friend's campaign is getting large enough that we're thinking a wiki might help keep track of all the NPCs, factions, kingdoms, houses and other sundry details. Can anyone suggest something that wouldn't be too difficult to throw up on a server, or alternatively if there's a something better than at least his current solution which is a big info dump pastebin.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Siivola posted:

I don't know about wiki software, but a shared Google Docs or Dropbox folder ought to work better than Pastebin.

Oh, a spreadsheet on Google Docs would be way better than the pastebin for sure.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Plague of Hats posted:

There are free wiki-hosting sites, like pbworks. I've never set one up myself, but judging by the number of MUSH wikis on it and similar sites, I can't imagine it's that hard.

last time I used something like that it was pretty bloated and loaded ads everywhere. Which is why I'd rather host something myself.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks you two. I already have a hosting solution with SQL database et cetera, but I'll check both mediawiki and dokuwiki out.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That wouldn't happen to be a sci-fi game featuring a major faction comprised of android catgirls in Star Trek inspired spaceships, would it?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

At first I was excited we may have met before, but reading that made me realize who some of the disgusting shitheads are you've talked about previously.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

remusclaw posted:

I see that there is an English version of Cadwallon. One book, how does it compare to 4e D&D rules wise? A game that scratches the 4e itch without being a huge errata riddled mass of books sound pretty good to me. Before it is suggested I have backed Strike.

Comparing it to 4e, Cadwallon allows a lot more freedom in building characters that don't adhere to the comparatively strict combat class archetypes of D&D. Every action a character can take, like what skill checks and such are in D&D are discreet maneuvers in Cadwallon, even things like talking, jumping or squeezing through spaces. The magic systems can be a bit complex and the language used throughout leaves a couple sections a little confusing to the rules' intent.

I love Cadwallon, but the book is an absolute beast to get through. I wouldn't suggest trying to get into it unless you and your friends are prepared to do a lot of reading. Luckily the artwork, design and fluff are all fantastic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Thank you, all that sounds like the kind of thing I am into, so I figure I am going to look into it. Confusing rules and overwriting are endemic to most pre-2000 RPG's anyhow, and I have muddled through those just fine over the years.

I eagerly await hearing what you think about it! Of the people I've played it with before, only one I still hang around with and it tends to be a hard sell for new people due to the enormity of the rules.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Queen Fiona posted:

I don't exactly have a lot of fond memories of that place. The only person from there I still talk to was my friend long before. Really, letting it lie is probably for the best.

Agreed.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's just like real life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's SRW the tabletop. Tactical robot combat on a grid with different terrain features and your pilots even get a set number of "genre powers" which use "genre points" and are basically like SRW's spirit commands.

You can also totally build Getter Robo. As in multiple separate mecha that combine in multiple different ways to create multiple different badass robots.

Sold.

• Locked thread