Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

grassy gnoll posted:

Somebody sell me on Battle Century G, please.

Do you like tactical combat, an emphasis on balance, relatively simple yet satisfyingly robust character creation and customization options, and of course giant robots?

Then you should check out BCG.

http://gimmicklabs.blogspot.com/?m=1 - Here's the site. Check out the reference document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

How does that simulate SRW or Front Mission gameplay-wise? Only question I have.

It's SRW the tabletop. Tactical robot combat on a grid with different terrain features and your pilots even get a set number of "genre powers" which use "genre points" and are basically like SRW's spirit commands.

You can also totally build Getter Robo. As in multiple separate mecha that combine in multiple different ways to create multiple different badass robots.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

This has my interest.

There's also separate pilot creation, and role playing your pilots during intermission nets you more genre points to use in mecha combat.

My favorite mechanic is escalation, though, where each round everyone adds an extra +1 to hit and is tied to finishing move abilities/weapons with names like Zweihander, Radiant Fist, and Missile Massacre.

And of course it's all effects based, so you're free to flavor anything however you want.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Ohhh that does sound pretty cool and I might try it... Although what I really want is a TRPG that is on the same "Real Robot" genre and related mechanics as Armored Core, Front Mission or hell, even Mechwarrior, although ever since Mekton (which was better played for Super Robot genre games any way) there weren't many of those.

Well, like in armored core, you load external components onto different external parts, but the difference is when you take damage, you lose points in layers. When a layer is destroyed, a corresponding part is disabled and you lose access to that part's components. Which part you lose is a decision either you or the enemy makes depending on an even vs odd roll. That's probably the most complicated part of the game though in terms of robot simulation.

At low levels in particular you can also get that real robot feeling just from the fact that you aren't flying an all powerful God machine since you have fewer points to spend on things that ignore or negate the above effects.

The main purpose of the game, though, is less simulating piloting a giant robot and more role playing an episode of a giant robot series.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Gonna write an Aaron Sorkin based TTRPG, except everyone is dragon people and robots and poo poo.

Nice roll with your witty remark. +2 power bonus to diplomacy with your ex-girlfriend/producer until the end of the encounter. Ooh, scathing take down. You have advantage against millenials and kobolds.

• Locked thread