Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
They're angry that things aren't going their way and they will blame literally everything else in the world for it (women, foreigners, gays, leftists, etc) except the white men who own and control everything. They hate democracy, and anything standing the way of the ruling class imposing their absolute will and total control, or any form of resistance by those below them. The white men at the top are strong and enlightened and blessed with the truth and anyone who opposes them is an irrational cancer on the purity of western society.

As with any fascism, their beliefs do not arise in a vacuum, their worldview is our current ideology of power taken to its logical conclusion. Everything about our society tells them that they are correct: IQ statistics, the actions of the police, the value of different people on the job market, immigration law, the prison population, the riots in the streets, etc. All these topics that are uncomfortable blind spots or taboos for liberalism take on the allure of forbidden knowledge for them, they think of themselves as having pierced the veil, seen through the contradictions, connected the dots (hence dark "enlightenment").

Our society is what produces these people, and it will continue to produce them because the cultural factors that are responsible for producing these people are also the very same factors that are necessary for the continued existence of various aspects of our society such as the nationstate, private business ownership, our education system, the police force, the military, etc, etc... The justifications that we need to create for the existence of these institutions are the very same thing which ends up creating these people down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Bob le Moche posted:

They're angry that things aren't going their way and they will blame literally everything else in the world for it (women, foreigners, gays, leftists, etc) except the white men who own and control everything. They hate democracy, and anything standing the way of the ruling class imposing their absolute will and total control, or any form of resistance by those below them. The white men at the top are strong and enlightened and blessed with the truth and anyone who opposes them is an irrational cancer on the purity of western society.

As with any fascism, their beliefs do not arise in a vacuum, their worldview is our current ideology of power taken to its logical conclusion. Everything about our society tells them that they are correct: IQ statistics, the actions of the police, the value of different people on the job market, immigration law, the prison population, the riots in the streets, etc. All these topics that are uncomfortable blind spots or taboos for liberalism take on the allure of forbidden knowledge for them, they think of themselves as having pierced the veil, seen through the contradictions, connected the dots (hence dark "enlightenment").

Our society is what produces these people, and it will continue to produce them because the cultural factors that are responsible for producing these people are also the very same factors that are necessary for the continued existence of various aspects of our society such as the nationstate, private business ownership, our education system, the police force, the military, etc, etc... The justifications that we need to create for the existence of these institutions are the very same thing which ends up creating these people down the line.

Crain posted:

Everyone who isn't already rich has been doing worse lately. Things are getting better now, but it's not great for an average working dude. Especially in the tech industry (where a lot of this seems centered). So you have Average McWhitedude sitting in his cubicle in his kinda lame job getting nowhere. Then he see's minorities getting some support, women pushing for more rights like actual maternity leave/ fair pay, he see's homosexual marriage being legalized. And if he has no clue what privilege is, which is most likely the case, he goes "Well what the gently caress about ME!?".

All the while he fails to realize that everyone else is just catching up to him, not surpassing him. No one is pushing for programs and benefits that specifically target White Men because up until recently EVERYTHING was targeted at them.

It's literally thousands of people going "What about WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION!?" without a hint of irony.

:agreed:

Are there any people on SA that actually profess to be a part of this movement?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bob le Moche posted:

Our society is what produces these people, and it will continue to produce them because the cultural factors that are responsible for producing these people are also the very same factors that are necessary for the continued existence of aspects of various aspects of our society such as the nationstate, private business ownership, our education system, the police force, the military, etc, etc... The justifications that we need to create for the existence of these institutions are the very same thing which ends up creating these people down the line.

I'm reminded of an essay from the early 1940s in which Dorothy Thompson, a regular writer for Harper's Monthly, speculated on just what was the appeal that drew people to Nazism (I'd link it but it's paywalled these days). It's not a perfect essay by any means, and gets way too sentimental at times, but I find much of her analysis interesting and insightful. In particular, there's one figure that sort of fits the neo-reactionaries we're talking about :

quote:

The saturnine man over there talking with a lovely French emigre is already a Nazi. Mr. C is a brilliant and embittered intellectual. He was a poor white-trash Southern boy, a scholarship student at two universities where he took all the scholastic honors but was never invited to join a fraternity. His brilliant gifts won for him successively government positions, partnership in a prominent law firm, and eventually a highly paid job as a Wall Street adviser. He has always moved among important people and always been socially on the periphery. His colleagues have admired his brains and exploited them, but they have seldom invited him - or his wife - to dinner.

He is a snob, loathing his own snobbery. He despises the men about him - he despises, for instance, Mr. B - because he knows that what he has had to achieve by relentless work men like B have won by knowing the right people. But his contempt is inextricably mingled with envy. Even more than he hates the class into which he has insecurely risen, does he hate the people from whom he came. He hates his mother and his father for being his parents. He loathes everything that reminds him of his origins and his humiliations. He is bitterly anti-Semitic because the social insecurity of the Jews reminds him of his own psychological insecurity.

Pity he has utterly erased from his nature, and joy he has never known. He has an ambition, bitter and burning. It is to rise to such an eminence that no one can ever again humiliate him. Not to rule but to be the secret ruler, pulling the strings of puppets created by his brains. Already some of them are talking his language - though they have never met him.

There he sits: he talks awkwardly rather than glibly; he is courteous. He commands a distant and cold respect. But he is a very dangerous man. Were he primitive and brutal he would be a criminal - a murderer. But he is subtle and cruel. He would rise high in a Nazi regime. It would need men just like him - intellectual and ruthless. But Mr. C is not a born Nazi. He is the product of a democracy hypocritically preaching social equality and practicing a carelessly brutal snobbery. He is a sensitive, gifted man who has been humiliated into nihilism. He would laugh to see heads roll.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

down with slavery posted:

:agreed:

Are there any people on SA that actually profess to be a part of this movement?

There are terrible libertarians and every so often people who seem to come close to these ideas pop up in the Libertarian/JRodefeld thread.

But for people who are full blown into these movement: Not really (other than GamerGate). The people who operate in these movements do not do well with properly moderated forums. They need somewhere like reddit where you can sit around for half a year doxing people, then just make a new account 10 seconds after you get banned.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Bob le Moche posted:

Of course from their perspective the white man isn't in control of everything, or at least not the right sort of white man.

One of the constitutive elements of their anti-democratic worldview is same critique that early neoliberal thinkers like Milton Friedman and James Buchanan leveled against the postwar Welfare state, and in particular the Johnson administration's "war on poverty", which basically runs as follows: academics and journalists manufacture social problems, then politicians tax society's producers and redirect some of their wealth toward "special interests" such as ethnic groups, women, unions, corporations, etc. This creates a constituency who will now indefinitly contribute money and/or vote for the politicians / political parties who are redirecting income toward the special interest. Thus academics, politicians and special interest groups form a sort of positive feedback loop in which the size of government grows indefinitly, with the ever growing bill being shoved off onto the business men.

This has been a popular belief narrative amongst conservatives and some liberals for a long time (and it even has an element of truth in it). It's a major theme of Samuel Huntington's chapter of the 'Crisis of Democracy' report from 1975 and also a big theme of Ayn Rand's 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged.

The Dark Enlightenment seems to takes this line of thinking to its extreme conclusion and basically says "this isn't a perversion of democracy, this is the essence of democracy; the creation of a class of corrupt politicians redirecting the wealth of society to welfare dependent poors and the perverted arts." Therefore, they claim, democracy must be recognized as the downfall of western civilization.

There is, not coincidentally, more than a bit of overlap with fascism here (also, arguably, a dash of repurposed Leninism), which also claims that the apparent rulers of society are not really in charge, because there's actually some nefarious group of shadowy enemies pursuing a sinister globalist agenda who has taken power away from society's rightful rulers (who are, of course, me and people like me).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Helsing posted:

One of the constitutive elements of their anti-democratic worldview is same critique that early neoliberal thinkers like Milton Friedman and James Buchanan leveled against the postwar Welfare state, and in particular the Johnson administration's "war on poverty", which basically runs as follows: academics and journalists manufacture social problems, then politicians tax society's producers and redirect some of their wealth toward "special interests" such as ethnic groups, women, unions, corporations, etc. This creates a constituency who will now indefinitly contribute money and/or vote for the politicians / political parties who are redirecting income toward the special interest. Thus academics, politicians and special interest groups form a sort of positive feedback loop in which the size of government grows indefinitly, with the ever growing bill being shoved off onto the business men.

That mentality never went away. From reddit this morning, on a post called "Nothing is free":

quote:

Well yeah, it can be. If these people think free actually means no money involved, they'll continue to vote in candidates and vote for measures that give them more "free" stuff. The more "free" stuff people vote for, the more taxes we have to pay and when the average person is sacrificing 30% of their annual income and 110 work days a year just to pay off the government, a case could be made that more taxes could be a net negative.

Now I guarantee you this guy is totally fine with taxes paying for things, as long as minorities are left out.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Yeah, most of these ideas are pretty old. You can read discussions from the convention that drafted the US constitution and read the exact same sort of concerns being aired about how giving poor people the franchise will lead to the redistribution of all wealth.

The only really novel thing about the Dark Enlightenment is the fusion of a bunch of old school conservatism, white nationalism and libertarian economics with a lot of references to nerd culture. I don't really think this is a movement that is likely to take off. At best, it may be that some people who grow up reading this poo poo in High School and University will eventually become involved in mainstream political activity and perhaps smuggle a small amount of this thinking into the mainstream with them. Overall, though, I think the only reason we're talking about these guys is because of their relatively novel and attention grabbing rhetoric. They are more open about hating democracy, and they fuse that with a lot of references to Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, the Matrix and other juvenile entertainment franchises.

I think it's reasonable to speculate about the rise of reactionary movements but I doubt the Dark Enlightenment will ever gain any kind of mass following. They're too far removed from the issues that normal people give a poo poo about. I suspect there are other groups with basically similar ideologies who could probably develop into mass movements a lot faster than a bunch of internet spergs who refer to themselves as the Dark Lords of the Sith or the Numenorians or whatever the gently caress they call themselves now.

These guys are sociologically interesting but not particularly threatening.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
I know someone here has saved those "Dark Enlightenment trading cards" appears they got taken down from the original place they were posted.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

There's a pretty good thread in PYF on the Dork Enlightenment and I believe it includes some of those hilarious trading cards.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Crain posted:

But for people who are full blown into these movement: Not really (other than GamerGate). The people who operate in these movements do not do well with properly moderated forums. They need somewhere like reddit where you can sit around for half a year doxing people, then just make a new account 10 seconds after you get banned.

The forums they do best in are ones where it's fine to say women shouldn't be able to vote because they're stupid and irrational, but when a woman gets upset/emotional and calls them a "shithead" or worse a "misogynist", the woman gets banned.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
OP, what was the psychology of you choosing "Race Realists" as your alias if you revile these people so much and do not wish for them to gain visibility? Was that a mod's doing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bartlebyshop posted:

The forums they do best in are ones where it's fine to say women shouldn't be able to vote because they're stupid and irrational, but when a woman gets upset/emotional and calls them a "shithead" or worse a "misogynist", the woman gets banned.
Crain already said reddit :haw:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Crain already said reddit :haw:

Most of reddit doesn't moderate like that, though. You won't get banned from the subreddit, "just" dogpiled. Your voice will be downvoted heavily but still findable by others. On the other hand there are places where you can't participate at all or argue back against their ideas without implicitly legitimizing them as something polite society should respect and banter pleasantly about.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A lot of people are pointing to anxieties about race, but I am also detecting some anxieties about technology and some of their thoughts seem very similar to ideas expressed in the unabomber's manifesto. That also plays into what other people are saying about the idea that smart people think they are smart enough to know how to run society. This was something the unabomber clearly also felt if you read his writings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

A lot of people are pointing to anxieties about race, but I am also detecting some anxieties about technology and some of their thoughts seem very similar to ideas expressed in the unabomber's manifesto. That also plays into what other people are saying about the idea that smart people think they are smart enough to know how to run society. This was something the unabomber clearly also felt if you read his writings.
A lot of the Dark Enlightenment are technophiles though. There's a common thread that "society has been in social/moral/whatever decay since the 1600s, but technology has masked it so it looks like we're doing better. Once the poisonous effects of democracy have been overturned, the true glory of feudalism + modern tech will shine through."

The left also uses the masking effect of technology argument against capitalism, like showing that the poor aren't really better off compared to the rich now, even if they do have a cheap smartphone and a refrigerator.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bartlebyshop posted:

Its mostly started like /pol/, wizardchan and parts of reddit and after GG blew up, it started spreading to other Chan boards. It mostly just lurks their now. I honestly think alot of it was started in the beginning as troll groups and as hosed up jokes. eventually they started believe their own asinine bullshit. /pol/ was started as a containment board/ debate board eventually it turned into what it is today.

Its actualy sad because one of my best friend fell into this crowed and now he believes all the poo poo about how the rich bilderberg groups/rich jews are going force the stalinest progressive through false issues and russia and the rest of the BRIC nations will destroy the west or some poo poo. it sucks because he used to be extremely interesting to debate politics/anything with. and he learned most of it from /pol/.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 1, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Al Cowens posted:

OP, what was the psychology of you choosing "Race Realists" as your alias if you revile these people so much and do not wish for them to gain visibility? Was that a mod's doing?

Believe it or not, no revulsion here. Im mostly just fascinated by the whole thing.

The way they're so sure they have whole world figured out.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Believe it or not, no revulsion here.

Why not?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Watch this clip and replace "anti-semite" with "SJW" or "Cultural Marxist" and you've pretty much summed up the movement.

They don't just overcook a burger. :tinfoil:

Race Realists posted:

Believe it or not, no revulsion here. Im mostly just fascinated by the whole thing.

The way they're so sure they have whole world figured out.

Maybe you should put a bit of effort into substantiating some of the claims you've made so far, specifically:

1) These groups are growing at an "alarming rate"
2) There are significant numbers of women in these groups
3) The Dark Enlightenment and the rise of the far right in Europe are closely related

So far as I can tell none of these things are really true, but I'm open to persuasion here. What's your evidence?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm not sure why this movement gets so much hate on this board, it's the only philosophic-political movement with any intellectual rigor to form in the last 30 years.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

I'm not sure why this movement gets so much hate on this board, it's the only philosophic-political movement with any intellectual rigor to form in the last 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_29yvYpf4w

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Narciss posted:

I dunno, one of its chief proponents arguing her boss, the CEO of Google, should be granted god-emperor status in America, democracy should be discarded in favor of techno-nobility because coders, like the aristocrats of the Old Regime, are "naturally superior" to everyone else might have something to do with them not being taken seriously.

"Intellectual rigor." Suuuuure.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Narciss posted:

:allears: yessss finally

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

I'm not even going to touch this one.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Where does Justine Tunney fit into the dark enlightenment, op?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Narciss posted:

I'm not even going to touch this one.

Touch what? Who is he referring to?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Narciss posted:

oh poo poo, this thread caught a live one

I have so many questions. how do you play the card game? what's it like living with crippling brain damage?

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Crain posted:

Justine Tunney is a trans woman, and Narciss is being darkly enlightened about it with a low-effort dig on her gender identity.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Narciss posted:

this is a forum for making fun of idiots who think they are clever but obviously aren't

so, what do you like about the dark enlightenment? please tell us all about it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crain posted:

Edit: Beaten

Justine Tunney. A techno-futurist-libertarian who believes in almost everything Moldbug believes in, but since she is a trans woman most of the Dark Enlightment rejects her for not being pure enough.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
do they mean to sound like the illuminati or is that just coincidental

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

they've read too many comic books and think that the best way to demonstrate that you are a powerful and interesting person worthy of respect is to like lurk in shadows and talk vaguely

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Race Realists posted:

The main reason I even made this thread is because I feel these particular groups are growing at an alarming rate. Its gotten to a point where they cannot be ignored anymore.

The internet contributes a lot to this. Both in making it visible but also giving like minded people an easy way to share ideas and find things to be outraged about.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

computer parts posted:

100% intentional. These guys are the philosophical equivalent to channers cosplaying V for Vendetta or right wing gun nuts playing combat operator with Home Depot work gloves and air soft patches.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
serious talk: I'd guess that these people don't stem from Obama as much as Clinton's first term, when Republican efforts introduced paleoconservative ideas to a lot of then 16-25yo young men

if you can't recall the mood of the time, remember that The Bell Curve came out in 1994 and the Waco siege in 1993.

now because Republicans gonna Republican, come 2000 and healthcare stopped being a federal conspiracy against your freedoms and turned into Medicare Part D. Also, Bush

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

croc suit posted:

A more pertinent discussion might be why the rabid marxists on this forum so often turn out to be pedophiles and sexual deviants

oooh, who got caught now? Last one I noticed was the Star Trek guy

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Watch this clip and replace "anti-semite" with "SJW" or "Cultural Marxist" and you've pretty much summed up the movement.

They don't just overcook a burger. :tinfoil:

Maybe you should put a bit of effort into substantiating some of the claims you've made so far, specifically:

1) These groups are growing at an "alarming rate"
2) There are significant numbers of women in these groups
3) The Dark Enlightenment and the rise of the far right in Europe are closely related

So far as I can tell none of these things are really true, but I'm open to persuasion here. What's your evidence?

http://www.splcenter.org/home/2013/spring/the-year-in-hate-and-extremism

http://abcnews.go.com/US/militias-hate-groups-grow-response-minority-population-boom/story?id=16370136#.T7ZfdnlYsXw

It would appear they have grown in number in recent years. It might just be how they define it, but as far as I know the splc believes the number of people involved has grown as well. That's just in general though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/opinion/sunday/seth-stephens-davidowitz-the-data-of-hate.html

This article pegs storfront at 30% female, for what that's worth.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Err, what does HBD stand for?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
serious talk: I'd guess that these people don't stem from Obama as much as Clinton's first term, when Republican efforts introduced paleoconservative ideas to a lot of then 16-25yo young men

if you can't recall the mood of the time, remember that The Bell Curve came out in 1994 and the Waco siege/Brady Act in 1993. NATO intervened in Bosnia 1992-1995, provoking a certain degree of clash-of-civilizational angst that NATO was siding with Bosnian Muslims instead of Serbian Christians before Huntington re-oriented the phrase or 9/11 focused mainstream attentions (hence lots of wild macrohistorical sketching). Intense debate over women in the military lasted from 1991 to 1993. NAFTA was signed in 1994; Pat Buchanan was a thing. The Clinton healthcare plan went down in flames in 1993.

now because party politics is party politics, come 2000 and healthcare stopped being a federal conspiracy against your freedoms and turned into Medicare Part D. Bush signed more free trade agreements. Bush appointed black people, women, and sometimes black women, into senior cabinet positions. Bush signed NCLB without acknowledging differences in student potential (cough IQ cough).

Now if you are a fairly normal fellow of Republican sympathies, you'd follow the mainstream as it tacked back to the center. However, some fraction of them instead went to dig themselves deeper into the hole. Some of those diggers became bloggers. Therefore.

ronya fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

David Corbett posted:

Err, what does HBD stand for?

Human Biodiversity. Basically a fancy pseudosciency term for "No Racial Mixing"

• Locked thread