Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Helsing posted:

The fascist movements you refer to attempted to cultivate a mass base and seize political power. The ambitions of the NRx movements seems to revolve around utilizing technology to do an end run around any kind of serious political mobilization. It's a fascist version of the singularity, which is perhaps another way of saying that it's fascism for shut ins who would rather photoshop themselves as Magic the gathering cards rather than try to seize state power.

It's hilarious that they think the problem with ein Reich, ein Volk, ein Fuhrer is the existence of the volk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like how it goes down below ancient Egypt as if we became literal cavemen during the medieval period. As if any sort of technology just vanished during that period. Yeah totally, we forgot how to use iron and wrote in hieroglyphs again, right? Let's just totally ignore that metalworking and masonry got progressively (but slowly) better during those several centuries. As did seafaring. Let's also just assume that people dressed exactly the same for like 800 years and nobody painted anything or made a statue anywhere.

History isn't party of STEM and is therefore useless.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Unlike Atwater though, they are profoundly stupid so their dog whistles are extremely transparent.

It reminds me of the MRA/redpill/gamergate types who like to try and pretend to be"sjws" and say stupid poo poo to discredit their enemies, but are too goddamned dumb to be convincing and are always baffled as to why they were caught out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If I believed there was an international unstoppable conspiracy of Jews, I feel like I'd be awfully reluctant to piss them off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

So has anyone mentioned this?

quote:

This blog advocates a 'Gentlemanly' form of Anarchism - a throwback to the 'Tory Anarchism' of Albert Jay Nock, H. L. Mencken, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Evelyn Waugh.

Unreservedly part of the reactionary Right, it is a reconciliation of the libertarianism of Murray Rothbard and Hans-Hermann Hoppe, the liberal aristocratism of Edmund Burke, John Randolph, Benjamin Constant, Alexis de Tocqueville, Lord Acton, and Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn, the conservatism of Russell Kirk, Richard Weaver, and Robert Nisbet, and the radicalism of Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, Benjamin Tucker, and Lysander Spooner.

Anarcho-Monarchism stands in opposition to the totalitarianism of the State, the cultural stagnation of egalitarianism, and the atomistic individualism found within a hedonistic and highly commercialized society.

so ssssssseeeeerrrrrrrriously what is up with every dude who is socially conservative and believes in Private Property Uber Alles, Uber Alles Private Property thinking they've invented some kind of new idea?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Like, how can you move in these circles and think you're doing anything original or unique? You say there should be a tiny class of all-powerful property owners who everybody else must obey and bow down to? Goodness, what startling originality of thought!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Basically American Cold War propagandists went out of their way to persuade people that "capitalism" just means trade or exchange or choice, and millions of mouthbreathing idiots and smart people without access to or interest in actual economic theory alike swallowed it completely.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

According to her own Objectivist philosophy that was the state's fault for being soft and offering her welfare. Of course a rational human being would accept.

It's not a gotya by her own moral code, it just shows what her own moral code was like.

When Rand says that everybody should live by the standard of "what is best for me?" the "me" refers specifically to her.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I have Ricthofen's War! It's fiddly garbage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm going out on a limb here but I bet it confirms a lot of things he wants to be true.

It's just a WWI dogfighting hexes and counters game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Or if you are Zach Snyder.

The way he rewrote the flashback scene with the child murderer and the dogs pretty much says everything about Zach Snyder.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Anticheese posted:

Red Baron was a cool game back in the day.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Well, the libertarians have HHH, I guess these guys figured they needed Mankind to keep up.

EDIT: Also, someone made an infographic about thick-rimmed glasses being "problem glasses" and claiming that "not all SJWs wear problem glasses, but all people who wear problem glasses are SJWS".

Literally /pol/ Pot.

Aren't those glasses like absurdly trendy right now?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Zodium posted:

are you sure you didn't do it because there was no longer any question regarding the mutual exclusivity of deductive and inductive inference? i'm not sure what you want me to say about the paper since you only brought it up as some kind of defense for why deduction/induction is somehow useful dichotomy for anything. i'm familiar with it but i'm not gonna re-read the whole thing because you made a "ACTUALLY, Websters defines ..." style reference to it :shrug:

as a practicing Bayesian, I frequently update my beliefs according to Bayes' Theorem (pbuh), and after years of banging my head against an unyielding wall, I updated my beliefs to be that Bayesianism/frequentism is another pointless part of our inferential vocabulary. if anything it seems to be hindering methodological progress, so now I only speak of unqualified inference. I still believe that a Bayes factor interpreted as the relative change in plausibility for one model against a reference model is the most apt discipline for the problems behavioral science has to solve today for the simple reason that you can count all you want, but we're not at levels of plausibility where we can be confident the events we're counting are meaningful units. got a real Aether/blind guys feeling up an elephant situation brewing here in terms of theoretical commensurability, if you know what i'm saying

I like Gelman because he makes a little progress with his pragmatic eclecticism without making methodologists seem like a bunch of dicks, but it's a hard emphasis on a little there. we mostly are dicks, so it's good that someone puts on a face. it's also been tried before, and it didn't work after a lifetime of work by one of the most celebrated statisticians of the 20th century, and it's not gonna work this time either. inference is a discipline where there's always going to be room for, well, undisciplined behavior. pragmatic eclecticism is fine for people who are genuinely fastidious and highly knowledgeable, and basically terrible for everyone else because it's fundamentally unprincipled. Gelman unfortunately seems determined to be the next Cohen, which is too bad and hopefully ends less tragically because he's a nice guy.

welp, that's my two cent

I can't tell if this is a c/p from LessWrong or what.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lovecraft is at his best when his villains are some variant on "holy poo poo, the cosmos is huge and bizarre and there's no place for us in it", like Yog-Sothoth ("Time and space are one in Yog-Sothoth" is a lot more impactful when Newtonian physics is still only just being displaced by Einsteinian relativity) or the way that humanity is just a particularly interesting thing to study for the unbelievably ancient Great Race of Yith, who came millions of years ago from another planet and will eventually abandon this one once they're done with it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There was an LF thread whose title or main point or whatever was to the effect of "In D&D race works the way racists say it does" that was pretty great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Okay. From this exercise, have we learned anything about "Race Realists"?

I don't think he's posted in this thread in awhile.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Actually, I think you'll find they call themselves autarchists now. :spergin:

The term "autarchist" is more accurate than he realizes. Kudos on actually understanding anarchism, I guess.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I think Onanist would more accurately describe a lot of :ancap: philosophy.

Onan pulled out during sex and that's a lot close to a woman than any of these winners are going to come.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

De Sade is hilarious from a certain perspective because he wrote book after book expounding this worldview he had and literally all of it is just him having this incredibly complex jerk off fantasy life.

In 2016 he'd be super into Sonic the Hedgehog, you just know it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

How much of his work was done from a jail cell, again?

Not enough.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Excuse me, the Eschaton is very clear that it is not our god.

Real shame about Stross discontinuing that series. I wonder if he's aware of Sandifer's book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Neoreaction: a basilisk" is really the first and last word in the field.

Seriously. Buy a copy off Phil Sandifer and be willing to skim the bits about William Blake toward the back.

• Locked thread