Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

I know you guys are talking about Hans Herman Hoppe but whenever I see HHH I imagine the WWE guy, possibly supported by The Libertarian, Kane, running in to hit someone with a sledgehammer or chokeslam.

Opposed by Austin (avatar of the working class) and literally Mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

MrNemo posted:

In a way Rorschach is an idea of some Captain America figure in a world where Hydra has won and we've got world peace and order. He can't even stop to weigh up the pros and cons, he can't really consider the costs because that starts to take away part of what makes him a hero. Captain America can't compromise, which in comics makes him an idolised figure but once you change the context makes him a bit of a psycho.

Peace through genocide isn't peace in your Hydra example. Rorschach was right to try to expose Ozymandias. You can't kill your way towards Utopia. That's kind of what the HBD people miss,when they talk about the R/k selection strategies.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Abner Cadaver II posted:

none of this helps me understand how people who worship Reason & Science are believing in Atavistic Negroids in the 21st century

their prior beliefs (which conveniently enough they never bother to examine) lead to Bayesian (they don't actually know what this means, but they're cargo culting hard enough that nobody calls bullshit) certainty. they're ignorant louts who've learned to parrot technobabble. not even wrong, really.

Edit: Not Even Wrong would be a good name for a LW parody.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I'm interested in what you guys are talking about, but it'd be more interesting in it's own thread.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

...and I'm planning on reading Nick Land's old books before he founded NRX...

Land is definitely big in the genre, but I'm pretty sure Moldbug is the founder.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's partly because you can see all those contradictions and decide that the thing to do is fight them rather than embrace them. That's why the NRx hates SJWs so much. Nobody is worse than the person who sees the same problems you do and comes to the opposite conclusion about what to do about them.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Nick Land. As part of embracing the machine-god who lurks at the end of time.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Excuse me, the Eschaton is very clear that it is not our god.

That's because the Ubermensh psychos win. At least in Land's version.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Helsing posted:

...People instinctively understand something that we're not supposed to acknowledge publicly, which is that being the object of charity and pity is contemptible and is essentially a way for our "benefactors" to lord it over us.

nah, you're just broken.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Sure, but that dude is arguing that all charity comes from a place of contempt. It's very Randian. If you feel contempt when you give someone a couple bucks, that's an indictment of you personally, not all Humanity.

^^*edit* That there are a lot of broken people doesn't mean that it's not useful to point out that finding the needy contemptible isn't normal. Dollar tipper people are rightfully derided.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 5, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's not inherently demeaning, it isn't an unspoken societal rule (excuse me, instinctual (lol)) to pretend otherwise, and people who think it is are broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I agree. Not what the dude said. At all.

• Locked thread