Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's the Temporarily Inconvenienced Millionaire effect. They were told from elementary school that they were smarter than the average kid, and more often than not, the were. Every now and then this would get them bullied by the popular kids and they'd tell themselves "Just wait until I graduate college, then I'll invent something big and buy and sell all your asses" Then they made it to their twenties and thirties, but they're not Bill Gates yet. Something had to have gone wrong.

I'm not saying they should have realized the game was rigged and joined the Marxist revolution, in fact far from it. I'm saying that they could have been happy with a decent white-collar job in a field they love, where all their needs are paid for and their families will never go hungry, but instead they want to rule the world and the world is not letting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crain posted:

Touch what? Who is he referring to?

Edit: Beaten

Justine Tunney. A techno-futurist-libertarian who believes in almost everything Moldbug believes in, but since she is a trans woman most of the Dark Enlightment rejects her for not being pure enough.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

David Corbett posted:

Err, what does HBD stand for?

Human Biodiversity. Basically a fancy pseudosciency term for "No Racial Mixing"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah come to think of it he did make a bunch of postcards of himself (Hitler fishing, Hitler driving down a country road, that kind of thing) to get his name out there when he was just the leader of a small political party no one heard of.

At least I think that happened, I may have misremembered something I saw on a documentary once.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Nessus posted:

It's not even the goat man, kids these days.

Yeah is this some new shock meme the cool kids are using these days:corsair:?

Because if it's not some random internet rear end and is in fact his own rear end or the rear end of someone he knows, I gotta respect his dedication.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They're actually kind of specifically interesting from this standpoint because they're basically a stereotype of Roma... except they're treated as completely awesome dudes who are basically The Best Race, and one of them is even a dev's (comedy) self-insert. They also worship cocaine.

I always interpreted Moon Sugar as more like opium than cocaine because of the cultural signifiers

Closer to topic, do DE types consider the Stormcloaks heroes or hate Skyrim's writers for making a nativist faction that they feel makes them look bad?

EDIT:

Thesaurasaurus posted:

With Lovecraft, it's easier to deal with the racism by focusing on the larger fear that consumed him, one that's arguably even more central to cosmic horror - the fear of one's own insignificance in the face of an indifferent universe, of realizing that your heritage and your greatest works are utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It's the fear of realizing that you're not the center of the universe and never were, and just how laughably-arrogant you were to ever think otherwise. Lovecraft and these idiots in the thread title feared the decline of the white race, yes, but underpinning that is terror at the subconscious realization that the very concept of race is an arbitrary little cluster of boxes with little to no bearing on reality and everything they grew up believing is a comforting, self-serving lie to make them feel significance in a cosmos that couldn't give less of a poo poo.

I want to frame this statement

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 9, 2016

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm not sure I saw any of the NRx or post-rationalist types even mention video games before Gamergate happened and they were all suddenly huge gamers standing against the invading progs.

Basically members of both movements were desperate for someone, anyone to just take them seriously for five seconds that they fed into each others' insanity.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

"Machiavellian analyses of liberal democracy"

The gently caress is this?

Basically the idea that no one is actually a liberal, there are only white people who are too afraid of being called "racist" to stand up and people of color who are secretly plotting white genocide.

If this sounds more like ordinary Freep silent majority bullshit than anything from someone born after 1980, you are correct and it makes NRx's attempts to distance themselves from garden-variety conservatism all the more precious :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ddraig posted:

The Prince also has a historical context about when it was written (Machiavelli was trying to get in good with the Medici) and is pretty different in tone to his other works.

I guess if you only read The Prince and don't understand why it was written you too can become a petty tyrant, but that's not really what Machiavelli was about, in the wider context of his oeuvre.

Yeah it's important to remember that The Prince was written as a manual on being a benevolent dictator, with emphasis on benevolent. Because that's what the Medicis paid* Machiavelli to write. Every other political work he published was about how Democracy is awesome and we need more countries with democracy

*While he was in their custody. I feel like that's an important detail people forget sometimes

• Locked thread