Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ayn Rand carried one hell of a torch for a guy convicted of kidnapping and horrifically* murdering a 12-year old. She called him:

quote:

....the amazing picture of a man with no regard whatsoever for all that a society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. A man who really stands alone, in action and in soul. Other people do not exist for him, and he does not see why they should.

I think that gets across the meme pretty well. It's lame to be a kid and have adults force you to do lame stuff, so that's why tyrannosaurs and murderers are cool.

*: of course there's no good way to do it but trust me when i say he found a really bad one

Morroque posted:

The continued legacy of Columbine is probably another topic unto itself. The thing continues to be brought up over and over again. I was hoping it might just pass into memory, but Dave Cullen's book on the matter somehow ended up on reading lists for a lot of high school English classes. Once that happened, it was off we go again. Now there are "columbiners" who weren't even in school when it happened.

I guess you hadn't heard about the Colorado university who banned a former teacher from their campus when someone pointed out he was the creator of Super Columbine Massacre RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"In college things I said made people uncomfortable. This was because they were brainwashed by political correctness. On the streets things people say make me uncomfortable. This is because they are my genetic inferiors. I walk a lonely, clear-eyed road."

I lived for a few months with folks in the Rationalist subculture, which intersects (includes?) this crap. Honestly, between the normalization of drugs, polyamory, sex-work, and (eegh) "cuddle puddles" at parties, I suspect they have above-average amounts of sexual contact for people in their demographic. Mostly they're nice folks, typical East Bay nerds, they mean well.

The DE sorts mostly make me a little sad. "Mind-killed" is a ridiculous way of putting it, but they do remind me of brilliant people derailed by mental illness or crankish obsessions. Robin Hanson is my favorite example: a no-poo poo economist (uhh I assume) who wishes the sheeple would wake up and recognize the long-term threat represented by the Hmong people's elevated rate of childbearing. gently caress, Yarvin is one particularly vivid dream away from being the next TempleOS guy.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 17, 2015

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I appreciate each of their videos coming with a memento mori built-in, because it reminds me someday they will die.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I finally remembered who all the psychotic talk about thal-skulls and melonheads reminded me of: Szukalski!

quote:

In 1934 the government of Poland declared Stanislav Szukalski the country’s ‘Greatest Living Artist.’ It built the Szukalski National Museum in Warsaw to hold his massive sculptures and dramatic, mythological paintings.

When the Nazis invaded Poland in 1939, they destroyed the museum and all of Szukalski’s sculptures and paintings. He fled to the United States, where no one recognized him as a celebrated hero. He lived in a small apartment in Glendale, California and made a meager income drawing maps for the aerospace industry. He devoted the rest of his life developing his theory of “Zermatism,” which centered on :siren:his belief that human beings were under the control of a race of human-yeti hybrids (the result of 'yeti apes’ raping human women):siren:. Szukalski wrote over 10,000 pages about Zermatism and illustrated his argument with 40,000 illustrations.

Basically, imagine if David Icke was one of the greatest artists of his time, and witnessed the fall of Warsaw. Also he's educated enough to be hilariously confident in his batshittery. Tell me this doesn't sound like something a NrX redpill turbodork would say:

a man that believes we're secretly ruled by psychic yeti half-breeds posted:

Being a professional man in numerous fields of intellectual activities, I have evolved a different attitude towards them than the layman, who keeps on repeating the same phraseology and terminology, thus sustaining the same, common attitude. Frankly, I am talented in many fields because my interests are numerous, so that I understand to a higher degree how they are interrelated.

Thus, when I say about myself that I am a genius, it is not self-praise, but a statement to describe a type of mindset: whatever it does in any field, it does well. A mind that peruses in many fields will comprehend better, and many things more, than one that is absorbed in only one. It becomes a universal mind.

I wonder how often delusions of this type recur. I feel like this isn't the only time I've heard nutbars complain that some kind of concealed, twisted, near-humans have body-snatched their way to power in the world and are cruelly persecuting the True Humans.

e: as wikipedia puts it

quote:

Szukalski used his considerable artistic talents to illustrate his theories, which, despite their lack of scientific merit, have gained a cult following largely on their aesthetic value. The irony of this would have likely infuriated the hyper-curmudgeonly Szukalski.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 23, 2015

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

As I understand it the "smoke" is how pissed people get at holocaust-denying and nazi-sympathizing, with the implied "fire" being the demotist conspiracy to denigrate and eliminate the noble aryan-thal race.

In essence, "people me not like hate thing, therefore...maybe thing true?! :smugmrgw:"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Alan Moore's primary inspiration for Rorschach was the lunatic objectivism of fellow Comics Guy Steve Ditko; for conservative creeps to enjoy the character is not entirely unlike their enjoying Steven Colbert. It's downright Borgesesque (Borgesian? Borgestic?).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's pretty easy to agree with Rorschach on your first read through Watchmen;

Or if you are Zach Snyder.

There's a great BBC special, "In Search of Steve Ditko", where Moore talks a lot about all this, and he says he's not surprised about Rorschach's popularity: the character's politics are "mad", but he has a "ferocious moral integrity." I'd add that the story is built around a horrific secret, the knowledge of which destroys an apparently equally-sociopathic character in the beginning, but doesn't even ruffle Rorschach at the end.

Obvious parallel to self-image of 'race realists'.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Understanding the psychology of Rorschach

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno if there's much room for "intellectual" xenophobia here in the UK between the EDL/UKIP and the generalized xenophobia inherent in the national discourse.

As opposed to the United States where

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

He can see big black cocks where there are none. That's why he appears to be obsessed with them. It's a neoreactionary trait.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I realized waaay too late that I should have just said "he can see cucks before they happen".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"Your arch-conservatism arises from being a small-minded, backwater yokel, whereas mine simply follows logically from my uniquely clear-eyed analysis of ethics."

They (well, Yarvin, at least) like who they like because they grew up in environments where privileged liberality was the default. Therefore, when rebelling and trying to define their own super-unique edgy identity, they lean conservative, but they don't bother escaping their classist prejudice against conservatism, they just daub together a protective hive of their own words, "proving" their position is so true and cool you can't even handle it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm reasonably confident he didn't make that card.

Here's one that definitely wasn't made by him, is much more informative, actually playable, and even balanced against an entire set:

quote:

Inspired by ribbonfarm.com, the Be Slightly Evil mailing list, and numerous discussions that have sprung from both, I started tinkering with designing MtG-inspired cards that would ideally introduce people to a person or idea through a judiciously chosen quote and a mechanic that illustrated the concept.

So, Moldbug is destructive, but has a kind of austere purity, he emboldens bad people, and brings confused not-so-bad people to their side. Also he talks about ~The Cathedral~ and is definitely a blogger, not a dragon. Even the abbreviated "NR" may be more informative than "NeoCameralist".

All of this is to say that even in the incredibly nerdy space of using magic the gathering cards to "introduce people to a person or idea", those dragon cards are Real Bad, meant more to self-aggrandize and befuddle than communicate and inform.

e: :engleft:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 1, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

How much of his work was done from a jail cell, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"Neoreaction: a basilisk" is really the first and last word in the field.

• Locked thread