Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
serious talk: I'd guess that these people don't stem from Obama as much as Clinton's first term, when Republican efforts introduced paleoconservative ideas to a lot of then 16-25yo young men

if you can't recall the mood of the time, remember that The Bell Curve came out in 1994 and the Waco siege in 1993.

now because Republicans gonna Republican, come 2000 and healthcare stopped being a federal conspiracy against your freedoms and turned into Medicare Part D. Also, Bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
serious talk: I'd guess that these people don't stem from Obama as much as Clinton's first term, when Republican efforts introduced paleoconservative ideas to a lot of then 16-25yo young men

if you can't recall the mood of the time, remember that The Bell Curve came out in 1994 and the Waco siege/Brady Act in 1993. NATO intervened in Bosnia 1992-1995, provoking a certain degree of clash-of-civilizational angst that NATO was siding with Bosnian Muslims instead of Serbian Christians before Huntington re-oriented the phrase or 9/11 focused mainstream attentions (hence lots of wild macrohistorical sketching). Intense debate over women in the military lasted from 1991 to 1993. NAFTA was signed in 1994; Pat Buchanan was a thing. The Clinton healthcare plan went down in flames in 1993.

now because party politics is party politics, come 2000 and healthcare stopped being a federal conspiracy against your freedoms and turned into Medicare Part D. Bush signed more free trade agreements. Bush appointed black people, women, and sometimes black women, into senior cabinet positions. Bush signed NCLB without acknowledging differences in student potential (cough IQ cough).

Now if you are a fairly normal fellow of Republican sympathies, you'd follow the mainstream as it tacked back to the center. However, some fraction of them instead went to dig themselves deeper into the hole. Some of those diggers became bloggers. Therefore.

ronya fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 2, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Helsing posted:

It seems like the Dark Enlightenment or NRx or whatever you want to call them are distinct from the paleoconservatives you're describing, even if they have some overlapping ideas and sympathies...

I think it's analagous to a center-left party playing up radical leftist theories when it is sitting in opposition; as soon as it regains power, it would disavow any unpalatable radicalism. Nonetheless those ideas would have had a brief moment in the sun, and radicals would dispense with remaining ties to the center (likely acrimoniously).

The question was why there is such thematic unity amongst these people. Wingnuts would spread out a little. You could argue that sexism and racism are fundamental impulses, but the emphasis on scientific racism/sexism backed up by invocations of pseudoeconomics clearly smells of Charles Murray, and even if one explains this away, there's still the bizarre penumbra of unrelated beliefs e.g. support for Austrian economics (shades of Lew Rockwell). These are pretty common amongst these lot! But atheism, monarchism, libertarianism/anarchism/monarchism is not universal. Vox Day is pretty darned theoconservative. Steve Sailor really loves America and picks different bases for his anti-immigration writing.

The main "moment" they share seems to be the early 1990s, when American politics was highly interested in scientific sexism and racism, dominated by claims to authoritative consensus economic policy in the triumphal post-Cold-War, post-monetarism/Keynesianism context, and prone toward conspiracism as trust in Congress fell dramatically.

• Locked thread