Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

I'm not sure why this movement gets so much hate on this board, it's the only philosophic-political movement with any intellectual rigor to form in the last 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_29yvYpf4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
do they mean to sound like the illuminati or is that just coincidental

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Race Realists posted:

Speaking completely subjective here, I just feel theres this sort of weird fetization with the past in Contemporary American media.

I wish I could put my finger on it, I really do :smith:

It's not just the media, how many times have you heard "The 50s were great because union membership was high and the rich were taxed 90%"?

Hell, how many times have you heard "The 60s & 70s were great when people actually protested before they got sold out by <corporate interest here> with the Great Satan Reagan".

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 20, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Another factor that I believe is relevant is how many of these individuals have STEM backgrounds. They are interested in quantitative data, not qualitative data. For them, statistics about black people's average IQ or crime rates compared to white people are more or less absolute, and appeals to reasons other than "it's biological" fall on deaf ears. The fact that black IQ has been rising since the inception of records (and is rising more quickly lately) and that violent crime has fallen dramatically across all racial groups is also irrelevant. They are used to a field of inquiry where unambiguous material facts can be discovered, so they apply this to other fields and expect social facts to be objective rather than historically and culturally located.

People using data that fits their beliefs and ignoring the rest of it isn't a STEM thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guavanaut posted:

Is that the one where it goes into the future and the singularity is stopped by the Muslamic Dark Ages?

There's an older one that stops at the present day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peel posted:

I haven't seen this new one.

e: okay now I have lmao

Because I spent all this effort I'll post it anyway:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Inventing gunpowder but failing to use it correctly.

loving fireworks. Pfah.

Well, some tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8wiNv6laU8

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The enemy is both so unnervingly clever and brilliant that we can't put any plot, no matter how complex, past them and so incredibly incompetent that we'll defeat them any day.

Are there actual examples of them being portrayed as stupid though?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean like, I live in New York and don't have money so I've lived in some lovely neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure that at this very moment I'm sitting in the poorest congressional district in the United States. I've never been mugged and I can think of exactly two times in the last seven years since I moved here that I've felt even remotely threatened which probably happens that many times in that span to everyone regardless of where they lived. What neighborhood are these people living in that's so frightening? I don't get it.

Edit: not currently in the poorest district, but I did used to live there for years.

Is that the Jewish one, or were they just one of the poorest cities in New York?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ogmius815 posted:

It's the south Bronx dude.

Okay, I was thinking of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/nyregion/kiryas-joel-a-village-with-the-numbers-not-the-image-of-the-poorest-place.html

• Locked thread