Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
they're angry people who feel like they are naturally more intelligent thus they are compelled to dress up their anger in a ten thousand word rationalization

i wish you good luck and god speed with your thread, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Narciss posted:

I'm not sure why this movement gets so much hate on this board, it's the only philosophic-political movement with any intellectual rigor to form in the last 30 years.

this is a forum for making fun of idiots who think they are clever but obviously aren't

so, what do you like about the dark enlightenment? please tell us all about it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

do they mean to sound like the illuminati or is that just coincidental

they've read too many comic books and think that the best way to demonstrate that you are a powerful and interesting person worthy of respect is to like lurk in shadows and talk vaguely

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i buy the part where it's cosplaying weirdos who mask their general racism with like cloaks and latin and poo poo. racists with half a brain love mythology

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Series DD Funding posted:

The point is DE is, in fact, original thinking, or rather as close as you can get. It's applying and changing old ideas from different sources to new issues and situations.

i don't see it as all that original. It's common for 'great thinkers' to paper over holes in their philosophies with vacant appeals to the past, attempting to draw legitimacy in some kind of historic appeal

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Race Realists posted:

From my school courtyard

lmao what kind of racist goes to georgia state

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

oh for sure there are some freakshows there, it's a giant university, but i'd think the only reason a white supremacist would go to a mediocre majority black school in a majority black city is if they didn't get into UGA or some other first pick lmao

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alien Arcana posted:

I thought "gilded age" referred to the early 20th century, like before WWI. Is there more than one gilded age or is that one called something different?

there's only one Gilded Age in american history but you could use the phrase to refer to the fifties as well as a gilded age - a time of seeming prosperity and social harmony where the wealth is only given to a small subset of people and we just think there aren't any problems because we're ignoring them and pretending they dont really exist

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Does the "race gap" just mean "we are too racist to appeal to beyond here"?

i'm going to assume so given that they want to bring up lower average IQ of black people as an important issue that needs to be discussed in the mainstream

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Abner Cadaver II posted:

IQ: the universal intelligence measurement of choice for people who know jack poo poo about measuring intelligence!

Discussing that in the mainstream would be good if it got through people's heads that IQ is only valid or useful in very particular circumstances.

conveniently, these are the kinds of people who are already prone to believe in african racial inferiority

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

"This is what patriarchy looks like"

What? What does Aurini actually do? He doesn't actually make a living begging on patreon does he? Because I'd expect patriarchy to look more...I don't know. Like he has control of anything going on in his life. I feel like ostentatious posturing is a defense mechanism to losing control. Like you can't bring in a paycheck or maintain a healthy relationship but you can position your skull like so while sipping Libby's apple juice and pretend something's going right in your life.

he probably has some really boring job that pays him a median wage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBe09g3ALw

you're right in that he probably feels powerless and so is angry about bitches but this powerlessness is probably something far whinier than economic hardship like the right lady didn't sleep with him or he just feels generally shortchanged despite being an educated straight white male in 21st century america

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GunnerJ posted:

But on the surface, they can square the circle by saying they were forced to pay for all these things so they are justified in taking them when offered.

social security isn't a trust fund or a savings account, it's like a pension in that your benefits are defined by your past contributions but what you get back is currently being paid for by someone else. it's extremely similar to just using general fund taxes on welfare. since most people are only on welfare for a short time, and pay taxes before, usually during, and after they're on welfare, there's no way to deliniate who is the worthy welfare recipient and who is the unworthy welfare recipient. eveyrone pays into it, that's the point of taxes

there's a weird and unjustifiable double standard hidden in that argument you're pointing at, in that somehow ayn rand's use of welfare money to sustain her in hard times is magically more moral and rational than when uh anyone else ever does it

so if you take the "well i was forced to pay for it, so" escape hatch then you're really just demonstrating that you're willing to sell out your own ideology for whatever pension you can get from the government, which is actually an extremely objectivist thing to do. discard anything the second you don't need it, including the philosophy itself

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GunnerJ posted:

What does it even mean, or what does it reflect? Does having a BA in history make you "trained as a historian"? Like yeah majoring in history will train you in the methods of historical research, sure. It doesn't give you any authority. The results of your research do, whatever level of education you've attained.

i read it that he's hedging his bets out of some unconscious low self esteem, being 'trained' in history just means, like, you went to an archive and looked some stuff up and wrote about it. history degrees are pretty bullshit degrees (don't get mad gentle reader, i have a history degree). so when describing himself and his achievements, foremost of which was graduating from college after having read a sufficient number of books and writing book reports, saying "i was trained in history" sounds a lot better than "i have a degree in history" without going into the full lie of "i am a historian" because to say that you actually have to produce new works about history

so much about aruini screams identity crisis, like how he's constantly waving about all these tokens and symbols of manhood or how he bitterly hates women with opinions. people don't keep asserting that they're big strong manly men because they're confident in their masculinity, and they don't summarize their lives with a pretty standard milestone if they're confident in their abilities and achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm gonna put that on my resume

"Hello, yes, my name is Popular Thug Drink. I am a graduate of State University. I have five years experience with c#, two years SQL, am microsoft certified, and i have fifteen years experience with women."

• Locked thread