Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'm not saying they should have realized the game was rigged and joined the Marxist revolution, in fact far from it. I'm saying that they could have been happy with a decent white-collar job in a field they love, where all their needs are paid for and their families will never go hungry, but instead they want to rule the world and the world is not letting them.

I'd say it's not just the world isn't letting them but more that the world didn't fall into their laps as they expected it would. It's not so much that the world is resisting them, so much as it doesn't even notice them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Race Realists posted:

I've noticed that sterilization is an Okay, Rational Solution to Ethno-Nationalists (particular White-Nationalists).

How would they go about it? Is that REALLY the proper way to deal with Poors/Minorities/Whatever group pisses you off?

It was last time these fucks came into power, why would you think they'd balk at it again?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bob le Moche posted:

They're angry that things aren't going their way and they will blame literally everything else in the world for it (women, foreigners, gays, leftists, etc) except the white men who own and control everything. They hate democracy, and anything standing the way of the ruling class imposing their absolute will and total control, or any form of resistance by those below them. The white men at the top are strong and enlightened and blessed with the truth and anyone who opposes them is an irrational cancer on the purity of western society.

As with any fascism, their beliefs do not arise in a vacuum, their worldview is our current ideology of power taken to its logical conclusion. Everything about our society tells them that they are correct: IQ statistics, the actions of the police, the value of different people on the job market, immigration law, the prison population, the riots in the streets, etc. All these topics that are uncomfortable blind spots or taboos for liberalism take on the allure of forbidden knowledge for them, they think of themselves as having pierced the veil, seen through the contradictions, connected the dots (hence dark "enlightenment").

Our society is what produces these people, and it will continue to produce them because the cultural factors that are responsible for producing these people are also the very same factors that are necessary for the continued existence of aspects of various aspects of our society such as the nationstate, private business ownership, our education system, the police force, the military, etc, etc... The justifications that we need to create for the existence of these institutions are the very same thing which ends up creating these people down the line.

I'm reminded of an essay from the early 1940s in which Dorothy Thompson, a regular writer for Harper's Monthly, speculated on just what was the appeal that drew people to Nazism (I'd link it but it's paywalled these days). It's not a perfect essay by any means, and gets way too sentimental at times, but I find much of her analysis interesting and insightful. In particular, there's one figure that sort of fits the neo-reactionaries we're talking about :

quote:

The saturnine man over there talking with a lovely French emigre is already a Nazi. Mr. C is a brilliant and embittered intellectual. He was a poor white-trash Southern boy, a scholarship student at two universities where he took all the scholastic honors but was never invited to join a fraternity. His brilliant gifts won for him successively government positions, partnership in a prominent law firm, and eventually a highly paid job as a Wall Street adviser. He has always moved among important people and always been socially on the periphery. His colleagues have admired his brains and exploited them, but they have seldom invited him - or his wife - to dinner.

He is a snob, loathing his own snobbery. He despises the men about him - he despises, for instance, Mr. B - because he knows that what he has had to achieve by relentless work men like B have won by knowing the right people. But his contempt is inextricably mingled with envy. Even more than he hates the class into which he has insecurely risen, does he hate the people from whom he came. He hates his mother and his father for being his parents. He loathes everything that reminds him of his origins and his humiliations. He is bitterly anti-Semitic because the social insecurity of the Jews reminds him of his own psychological insecurity.

Pity he has utterly erased from his nature, and joy he has never known. He has an ambition, bitter and burning. It is to rise to such an eminence that no one can ever again humiliate him. Not to rule but to be the secret ruler, pulling the strings of puppets created by his brains. Already some of them are talking his language - though they have never met him.

There he sits: he talks awkwardly rather than glibly; he is courteous. He commands a distant and cold respect. But he is a very dangerous man. Were he primitive and brutal he would be a criminal - a murderer. But he is subtle and cruel. He would rise high in a Nazi regime. It would need men just like him - intellectual and ruthless. But Mr. C is not a born Nazi. He is the product of a democracy hypocritically preaching social equality and practicing a carelessly brutal snobbery. He is a sensitive, gifted man who has been humiliated into nihilism. He would laugh to see heads roll.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Narciss posted:

I'm not sure why this movement gets so much hate on this board, it's the only philosophic-political movement with any intellectual rigor to form in the last 30 years.

I dunno, one of its chief proponents arguing her boss, the CEO of Google, should be granted god-emperor status in America, democracy should be discarded in favor of techno-nobility because coders, like the aristocrats of the Old Regime, are "naturally superior" to everyone else might have something to do with them not being taken seriously.

"Intellectual rigor." Suuuuure.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Human Biodiversity. Basically a fancy pseudosciency term for "No Racial Mixing"

Uhh excuse me, I think you mean to say that,

Narciss posted:

I'm not even going to touch this one.

Tell me more about what, exactly, you find you intellectually rigorous about these clowns? I get that their racism jives with the many failings and inadequacies that are the sum of your being, but is there more to it than that?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

wateroverfire posted:

It's amazing how much internet reactionaries and internet radicals have in common, at the end of the day. Like going off the deep end ideologically is a normal response to being unhappy with your place in the world but feeling powerless to change it.

Wait hold on you're blowing my mind here; so if the extreme right is wrong*, and the extreme left is wrong, then where is the truth exactly? Help me out here man.

*you don't actually believe this one but we'll play along for the moment.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fetishization of the 50s always made me laugh because they dont seem to get there is a reason the 60s happened next.

The 1950s, when men were men, women were subservient, gays lived lives of closeted terror, black people knew not to let the sun set on them in this here town, boy, and everyone lived in mortal fear of sudden nuclear annihilation. Oh, take me back to that wondrous age!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Gilded age" applies to more than one period of U.S. history, really. I think the main one is the 19th century which is another era ancaps, lolbertarians, and conservatives seem to pine for but the phrase really works well for any time considered America's golden age.

While the term has been applied to other periods, with some justification, it came about specifically because of social criticism of the post-Civil War 19th Century's unbridled capitalism and industrialism grinding so many people/social institutions to shreds in returns for gaudily ostentatious wealth that in the end benefited precious few.

More specifically, Mark Twain originated the drat phrase in his 1873 book of that name, The Gilded Age: A Tale of Today.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dahn posted:

I am suspect of their philosophy as well, but they may have some valid points.

Name one.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Part of that also goes to the "dark ages" being a period of relatively stagnant technology. A lot of people assume that stagnant technology means stagnant culture and no art at all which is just flat out not true. Yeah not much development or education was going on and most people were illiterate subsistence farmers but assuming that nothing at all happened anywhere is ridiculous. Medieval periods were also generally not quite as awful as people seem to like portraying them. Mostly poo poo was pretty quiet. If there wasn't a war or a plague going on people really just farmed, drank, and hosed. Which was, you know, most of the time.

The medieval period was hardly lacking for warfare. Hell, the church had to intervene with the Peace and Truce of God just to keep the knightly class from constantly tear-assing around France wrecking poo poo up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

Aside from the language used to justify the futurist ideology, what separates these people from third-way movements that have been around for forever?

I'm just seeing some run-of-the-mill fascists. You've got some enthusiastic modernists trying to recapture some former glory (or at least claim what is rightfully theirs), looks pretty similar to Italian Fascism. You've got some romantic, pagan-inspired enthno-nationalists, looks pretty similar to German Fascism. Then you've got a bunch of romantic Catholics who see theology as the breeding ground for a new thing that is neither Communism nor Capitalism -- which looks a lot like Fascism in Spain and Portugal. The only "new" element is the Protestant Fascism but both England and America had strong nascent fascist movements, it only looks new because we didn't trounce them in a war.

I don't have a deep understanding, but how is it not run-of-the-mill fascism?

That's more or less what it is, reskinned for the tech crowd.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Peel posted:

I wonder what they think Asia was up to during that period.

Probably a highly romanticized version of whatever they've gleaned from video games and anime, if anything at all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't think WWII would have gotten off the ground if Hitler had photoshopped himself as a Magic card.

He probably would have painted it by hand, when you think about it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cingulate posted:

I am 9 and this makes perfect sense.

Well good news! At your age, there's no end of things libertarians/an-*s think you should be able to consent to that the mean ol' state just won't let you!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

divabot posted:

uh I think you'll find the word is ephebotarian

:golfclap:
Not the first time I've heard this joke but it's still as funny as it was the first time.

SedanChair posted:

Actually your parents already signed.

Was it Rothbard that got around that particular problem by pointing out children were entirely free to try to escape and, if they somehow did, they were not bound by any contractual obligations their parents incurred, or was it HHH or some other maniac?

Regardless, I'd expect any of the dork enlightenment crowd to just respond with Immortan Joe's line about the sanctity of property.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

The gently caress is a cuddle puddle?

I have an idea but it's probably better for all of us if I don't explain what I'm thinking, and certainly better for me if I don't go looking for confirmation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ddraig posted:

Why is that those who are so concerned about passing on their bloodline always look like such genetic disasters?

Is it some deep yearning that you can't explain that is, much like sunken fish eyes, a product of many generations of inbreeding? Some sort of deep rooted evolutionary behavior that kicks in when your family tree looks like a stump in order to branch out more?

That_panel_from_Preacher.jpg

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hbomberguy posted:

Are there any weird MRA/Dark enlightenment conventions or meetups in the UK?

For future videos I want to travel to these places to document the hilarity.

I recognise I'm signing my death warrant here but still.

I imagine you'd get a similar mix at any given UKIP or EDL rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kemper Boyd posted:

Late to the party, but does anyone have any sort of thought about what made this whole MRA/crazy conservative/cuckosphere thing emerge initially?

Just a guess, but probably something to do with ethics in games journalism?

• Locked thread