Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Fried Chicken posted:

I managed to find an unpaywalled copy, but it is very poorly formatted, it looks like they just scanned the hardcopy to .txt and didn't do any cleanup. I did my best but I couldn't quite sort the last bit

Hahaha, of course the dweeb likes Chestertonian distributism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Technically yes they should have lost their color but then it's a fantasy world so it doesn't necessarily follow the same rules. I don't think it's ever explained why Drow are black other than "dark" being used as a common descriptor for the nasty races. Granted that also goes into old folklore that has roots in fear of the night. Trolls, monsters, elves, etc. that live in dark places and are dark so they're hard to see at night are a very common trope in folklore and literature in general. Doesn't have much to do with racism, in that case; it probably has to do with predators hunting humans in the dark before fancy things like electrical lights got invented and the fact that humans as well tend to be lovely to each other more when nobody can see what's going on. So it turned into "be careful when you're in a place you can't see anything because something might try to hurt you."

Sometimes it's racism. Sometimes it's just camouflage. In the case of D&D creatures stuff that lives underground can generally see in the dark so they aren't prone to putting lights up. It's a good survival mechanism on their part to be dark because then they can see you but you can't see them.

They did explain why Drow have black skin. First they were cursed for their sins, then they miscegenated with demons.

That's not even getting into Mystara's weirdly anti-Semitic underground elves.

• Locked thread