Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Tbh you sound like a dumb American who is slightly less dumb than other dumb Americans you happen to converse with.

What kind of person doesn't know that there are many different types of "white people"? In America, of all places? You can't walk several steps without encountering many variants of "white people". Dutch, Irish, Italian, Greeks, Polish etc.

I hate to break it to you, but your profound insights on basic entry level trivia are pretty well known to most of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sharkie posted:

So what's a "tribal nature"?

I'm tempted to say "Has friends"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you want to look at it from a purely scientific point of view, those with lower IQs naturally deviated towards groups of other like-minded stupid people, which of course made survival that much more difficult for them in purely evolutionary terms as it's been well established that being part of a group with shared resources is much less likely to insure successful survival than those smart people who decided to go it alone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OwlFancier posted:

What, as in, you do absolutely what I tell you but I make no pretense of trying to construct a functioning state?

Seems straightforward if nothing else.

I'm guessing it's a loose band of people with no specific cause, doing what they want, taking what they want, and generally living in anarchy with a central leader figure that gets the spoils.

I'm guessing they're thinking of Genghis Khan and the Mongol Horde, but lack the historical context to realize that this isn't true about them at all.

I imagine it being like one of those roving biker gangs you see in post-apocalyptic media. I imagine they think they're going to be the guy sitting on the throne of a tricked-out land cruiser that's raping and pillaging all they see, when the reality they'll be in the hold, about to be sold into prostitution.

e: It always strikes me how much, and in what degree, seemingly "rational" (i.e. self-described athiests, which many free-market proponents/libertarians tend to be) people have an almost god-like veneration of the Free Market above all else. I'm convinced that if you were to take any Christian/Religious text and replace the word "God" with "Free Market" it would probably read almost identical to some of the screeds these people come up with.

quote:

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with the Free Market.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to the Free Market.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Free Market about it.
"Free Market, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 14, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Woolie Wool posted:

Murderous rage and thin skin have been characteristics of nobility throughout history.

And ever since Vicky, haemophilia.

That's what inbreeding gets you, folks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was just about to posit my thesis of "Cingulate: Super Stud?" to the New England Journal of Medicine, too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Still worth reposting because they're hilarious and are a fair and balanced critique of Dark Enlightenment thinkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbnAJR-vZA

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness if I had a skull I would probably want to look at it a lot, skulls are cool.

An actual human skull might be a neat talking point, particularly if you know the back story and assuming you didn't collect it yourself (i.e. it's not the skull of your girlfriend who mysteriously disappeared), but a rubber skull is just embarrassing on so many levels.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Why is that those who are so concerned about passing on their bloodline always look like such genetic disasters?

Is it some deep yearning that you can't explain that is, much like sunken fish eyes, a product of many generations of inbreeding? Some sort of deep rooted evolutionary behavior that kicks in when your family tree looks like a stump in order to branch out more?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He also complains about welfare queens and social parasites leeching off the work of others but one of his major sources of revenue is a Fallout fan-fiction with the names changed.

It's like Ayn Rand spending her life decrying handouts and being a genuinely sociopathic human being and then spending the last years of her life claiming welfare.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Even though I find it hard to think of a less deserving human being I really don't begrudge Rand for that. The reason it exists is to provide security for people, which also means the occasional nutjob, but that's cool - they have a right to not starve to death too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're going to go completely batshit, at least own it. David Icke is a lunatic, but at least he's a lunatic with the courage of his convictions.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Guavanaut posted:

And he ended up being right about a couple of things by sheer volume.

Seeing as how they don't usually let the royal babies be seen until their carapace can take root he may be right about more things yet.

e: David Icke is actually quite interesting since his beliefs have been taken on by a lot of white nationalists who believe that when he's talking about the world leaders actually being lizards in human form they think that he is naturally referring to the Jews.

Even Icke has distanced himself from this by saying "No, when I say they're giant lizards in human skin suits I mean they are literally giant lizards in human skin suits"

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 23, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hbomberguy you're my favourite person <3

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think it's nice that he's at least honest in that he is "trained" as a Historian as opposed to actually being competent, or even qualified, as it seems he's got his entire notion of Chivalry and Chivalric Orders from popular Romances as opposed to actual historical record, which is pretty bleak, dismal and doesn't paint them in a hugely positive light, assuming you see "being of benefit to society and the advancement of humanity" as a positive, of course, which I'm not sure he does.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, he clearly has issues. It's almost tempting to have a degree of sympathy for him, but then again he has a plastic skull called McArthur so gently caress him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hbomberguy posted:

Are there any weird MRA/Dark enlightenment conventions or meetups in the UK?

For future videos I want to travel to these places to document the hilarity.

I recognise I'm signing my death warrant here but still.

A friend of mine laments that Fathers4Justice has become rife with those types. That might be a good starting point.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oh for fucks sake Wales, pull it together. I know we had crazy periods like believing that the Welsh had somehow made it to America and some natives were actually Welsh, but this is a new low.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Guavanaut posted:

It's also a movement that wants to undo the enlightenment, which it sees as a liberal conspiracy, but at the same time claims that they're not racist because their race realism is scientific. Which is itself a epistemological system that comes entirely out of enlightenment philosophy.

Maybe they're just dumb.

It seems like these regressive movements always go further and further back as the source of the world's problems.

Have any wanted to try to undo the renaissance and be plunged back into the middle ages? That would be quite impressive, even by internet nutjob standards.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pictured: The Ultimate SJW

You could break rocks with those rims.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Salvor_Hardin posted:

For the unenlightened, be sure to check the CardID in the URL :allears:

Nice.

I was part of a group of nerds in high school and I was the only one who wasn't really into Magic and I suspect that this was a good move on my part.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They literally haven't thought that far ahead.

I imagine it's like Galt's Gulch or whatever where everything is perfect and everything is plenty somehow and food magically appears and they can get on with their lives doing amazing, inventive things rather than the reality of them toiling in fields or dying of dysentery due to nobody having any idea how to make effective water sanitation systems etc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Even if MRA types got to be super studs that had all their needs taken care of and sex on demand they would still never, ever agree to that because it would be a woman making the decision.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OwlFancier posted:

If I recall correctly the redguards in the original games had some... pretty :stare: racial stat modifiers.

Redguards being TES black people.

Tbh I've always had problems with D&D's "race" system mainly because of poo poo like this. It's become the de facto system for virtually all RPGs and it's lazy, hackish and has the potential to be incredibly offensive.

I'd much rather it be a species thing where different species genuinely do have different abilities rather than the current stuff where "black" races get +1 to speed or some other stupid poo poo.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Drow are weird. I used to be a D&D nerd and it always seemed to me that they were specifically designed to push the buttons of reactionary nerds given that virtually everything they're associated with is considered detrimental to the 'traditional' way of doing things. They're known for their miscegenation (often with demons or other 'impure' races), are a matriarchal society where men are literally considered chattel and often build societies where non-Drow are considered slaves and have absolutely no rights. They also have incredibly high birth rates, which is another :rolleyes: thing.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

"lol look at these idiot nerds who are inappropriately preoccupied with race what losers"

*pontificates about racial injustice in role-playing computer games*

Glad to see that you too believe that culture doesn't exist and that man is a self-contained entity entirely dependant on themselves. Where did you learn this? College?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That's some gift you have, getting all that from a sarcastic jab. Impressive. Or, it would be, if it wasn't total bullshit.

It usually makes me slightly defensive when I hear some variation of the "Well, who are the real nerds, nerds? :smug:" argument because it often comes from people who really should know better.

It's also usually an attempt to shut down discussion because of the mistaken belief that certain aspects of culture are so ridiculous as to escape scrutiny. I absolutely know you know better because I've seen you rally against people attempting to do this particular tactic with religion.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You're asking too much of them to actually read the people they're claiming to emulate.

Machiavelli, at his heart, was a pragmatist. A pragmatist of his time, which is vastly different from a pragmatist of today, even if the general goals are the same.

He wasn't really a cartoonish villain who would twiddle his pencil thin moustache and rub his hands together cackling which I'm guessing is what the DE see in him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Prince also has a historical context about when it was written (Machiavelli was trying to get in good with the Medici) and is pretty different in tone to his other works.

I guess if you only read The Prince and don't understand why it was written you too can become a petty tyrant, but that's not really what Machiavelli was about, in the wider context of his oeuvre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jack Gladney posted:

Dignity is a pretty fundamental need. There are conditions under which one's own powerlessness can be exploited to deprive them of their dignity, including some in which one's hardships are simultaneously reduced or removed. There are also ways of helping another person that do not assault his or her dignity.

Pretty much,. The entire Asian concept of "face" is pretty much this.

• Locked thread