Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I sincerely hope there is a chapter on cheese.

I’ll check when I’m back home in a day or two. There is a part about restaurants, how Asian people think bright loud restaurants are happy, while white people like quiet dark restaurants and how it’s good to mix it up to keep your white lady happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Snowy posted:

I’ll check when I’m back home in a day or two. There is a part about restaurants, how Asian people think bright loud restaurants are happy, while white people like quiet dark restaurants and how it’s good to mix it up to keep your white lady happy.

It sounds like a guide to caring for a pet gecko

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Snowy posted:

well gently caress, they got me there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is the woman on the cover supposed to look disdainful?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Carthag Tuek posted:

is the woman on the cover supposed to look disdainful?

She looks like somebody just told her the name of the book and she can't bother to hide her disappointment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fifty Farts posted:

She looks like somebody just told her the name of the book and she can't bother to hide her disappointment.

"ugh, you told me this shoot was gonna be for your portfolio"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

It sounds like a guide to caring for a pet gecko

Dear goons, I went on a date today. I gave her a bug and then she licked her own eyeball. I think things are going well. Is it too soon to buy her a hot rock?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd be shocked if Seanbaby doesn't own a copy.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Tunicate posted:

There's a rational naruto RPG which of course is highly rational because every character action has to be written out in pseudocode, because that's what rationality is, only doing things that are explicitly spelled out like a beep boop robot.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/marked-for-death-a-rational-naruto-quest.24481/

last update Jan 21 2024 wtf. nearly 10 years of rational naruto

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cumpantry posted:

last update Jan 21 2024 wtf. nearly 10 years of rational naruto

Wtf

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Tunicate posted:

There's a rational naruto RPG which of course is highly rational because every character action has to be written out in pseudocode, because that's what rationality is, only doing things that are explicitly spelled out like a beep boop robot.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/marked-for-death-a-rational-naruto-quest.24481/

Like, I haven't read the work, but I jumped to several random pages because I was interested in what the 'pseudocode' you were talking about was, and I didn't see any, in either the thread updates or the reader posts. Maybe it's there somewhere, but from what I could see, the closest thing was just people voting on plans, a thing that happens in a forums CYOA - here on SA we tend to bold votes, over there they have bold and an [X] symbol.

I read the Update 0 and part of Update 1, and one of the first thing I see in chapter one is

quote:

Because I am a ninja I met your father, and he is my heart. And because he is my heart, we had you."

It was at that moment that he knew he would become a ninja, so that he could meet his own heart.

When he was three, poppa took him roof-running for the first time. He clung to his father's back, shrieking in glee as they raced at blinding speed across the rooftops. Poppa leapt between roofs like a joyful Monkey God, traveling in the blink of an eye from one to another. Sometimes he ran on the flat, sometimes he ran sideways on a wall, and once he hung upside down under the eaves of a tall building. Hazō's shirt flew up, baring his stomach, and he eeped in delight. His father laughed and slung him around in his arms so that he could blow a giant raspberry on the boy's stomach, drawing a giggling shriek.

Cringe, possibly, I'm not defending the quality, but this doesn't really seem like the criticism of pseudo-rational 'robotic' behavior holds water?

edit: I kept reading, you mean these?

these are skill checks, friend, they have them in D&D and similar

you check the numbers you have against the enemy or situation's numbers, it's a randomization method the determine the general outcome of actions

John Lee has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Feb 3, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bro it has been several years but if i recall correctly the character follows plans to the letter with no other agency, and there was big drama when a plan which was just
[X] get a spandex training suit
won and the character immediately dropped everything he was doing, ignored all other priorities and beelined directly to getting the training suit, despite it making no sense in context and messing stuff up

The drama was the stupid people voting for the training suit didnt understand this was the obvious outcome

I poked in some point later and the votes had complex series of if/then contingencies.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Feb 3, 2024

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:colbert: clearly the problem then was the RPG creator not realizing that obviously if an option is presented for obtaining a spandex training suit, people are going to want to go obtain a spandex training suit, and Naruto was just going to have to find his way back to the main story paths after the people obtained the spandex training suit for which they had clamored

SPANDEX TRAINING SUIT has entered your inventory. Equip? y/n

y, of course

Great. You return to your mission, already in progress, while wearing your new SPANDEX TRAINING SUIT.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Currently reading a real bait-n-switch, unsure if I should put it down in disgust halfway through or hate-read it to the end. You guys ever finish a book out of a wrongful sense of pride, refusing to give up despite knowing it's totally rubbish?

Either way, I'll write up a post later. I'm angry about it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Serephina posted:

Currently reading a real bait-n-switch, unsure if I should put it down in disgust halfway through or hate-read it to the end. You guys ever finish a book out of a wrongful sense of pride, refusing to give up despite knowing it's totally rubbish?

No, my bestie does this but I will ditch a book so drat fast. There are too many other things to read.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I'm split on that. Sometimes I'll push through and read the trash, sometimes I'll just throw in the towel. I guess a it depends a lot on how much being boring is part of the train I'm not liking it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Serephina posted:

I used to always finish books I started, but somewhere in my 20s I realised that I could just read something good instead and have never looked back. If I'm 10% into a book and it hasn't grabbed me (and I haven't been warned in advance that it starts slow but gets good later or whatever) then I'll chuck it and try something else. If I'm three quarters of the way through and I realise I just don't care any more? Drop it. Read something else. Too much stuff to read/watch/play to waste time like that.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tiggum posted:

I used to always finish books I started, but somewhere in my 20s I realised that I could just read something good instead and have never looked back. If I'm 10% into a book and it hasn't grabbed me (and I haven't been warned in advance that it starts slow but gets good later or whatever) then I'll chuck it and try something else. If I'm three quarters of the way through and I realise I just don't care any more? Drop it. Read something else. Too much stuff to read/watch/play to waste time like that.

It took me until my 40s to figure this out. :( So much time wasted on books that were either utterly forgettable, or so terrible they still haunt my waking hours.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

Three in particular:

The Devil's Rooming House: The True Story of America's Deadliest Female Serial Killer. True crime about Amy Archer-Gilligan, who liked to poisonn people. Hate-read it because of how amateur the writing was.

The Man from the Train. Bill James' book claiming to solve the Villisca axe murders, claiming it was a nationwide serial kkiller. Hate-read because James' premise was complete and utter bullshit, with cherry-picked "proof" and I wanted to see how beyond ridiculous the reveal was. James is actually a respected baseball writer, but this was garbage enough to make me retroactively hate everything he's ever done.

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. I don't understand why this is considered a classic. Colonialism is bad, religious colonialism is terrible and still happens but this is so ham-fisted. None of the characters are people, but merely paper-thing archetypes throughout.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I read fast enough that by the time I realise a book sucks I've probably finished it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

wheatpuppy posted:

It took me until my 40s to figure this out. :( So much time wasted on books that were either utterly forgettable, or so terrible they still haunt my waking hours.

You and me, pal, you and me. I stuck with so many books (and TV series) because I thought I had to complete them or because there was a vocal group of fans proclaiming how great it was.

The big turnarounds for me were:

* Realizing that there was simply not enough time left in my life to read all the recommended, interesting or popular works.

* Realizing that many fans had abysmal taste and didn't value their own time

Last thing I remember hate-reading was Gavin Menzies 1421, the notorious book about how an ancient Chinese fleet supposedly explored everywhere and did everything. There are some interesting stories and anomalous facts that start the story off but the book gets more and more out there until it's just pure fantasy by the end.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I thought I had to finish an entire series out of spite once, I really enjoyed the first book and then the second was awful but I was like hey maybe it's a fluke I'll read the third one and it was even worse and then there was a fourth book and I thought might as well finish the series and then it ends on a cliffhanger and I found out there was a fifth book at which point my friend talked some sanity into me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

21st Cherry boy posted:

I thought I had to finish an entire series out of spite once, I really enjoyed the first book and then the second was awful but I was like hey maybe it's a fluke I'll read the third one and it was even worse and then there was a fourth book and I thought might as well finish the series and then it ends on a cliffhanger and I found out there was a fifth book at which point my friend talked some sanity into me.

Aww, you stopped right before it got good again!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

21st Cherry boy posted:

This sounds like the Hitchhiker's Guide "trilogy" except the second one wasn't really that bad.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tiggum posted:

Aww, you stopped right before it got good again!

Something I have literally heard. "Yeah, the sequels dip but it gets good again at book 7 ..."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nonathlon posted:

Something I have literally heard. "Yeah, the sequels dip but it gets good again at book 7 ..."

Yeah people keep telling me this about Wheel of Time (funny enough the place where it "gets good again" changes) but life's too drat short and I have too many books on the stack as is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This sounds like the Hitchhiker's Guide "trilogy" except the second one wasn't really that bad.

I thought Life, the Universe And Everything was a pretty solid continuation of form.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. I don't understand why this is considered a classic. Colonialism is bad, religious colonialism is terrible and still happens but this is so ham-fisted. None of the characters are people, but merely paper-thing archetypes throughout.

Huh, I remember liking this when I had to read it in high school, though I dunno if that was just relative to other required reading. I'm also the only person I know who really enjoyed Great Expectations though so I might just be weird.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Even with the Dresden files I tend to say "it'll get good in book 3, mostly"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I read this one a bit ago and just realized I never mentioned it here (where it belongs) - the Hunger Games prequel, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I only found out it existed while I was rereading the trilogy for the first time in quite a while. They generally hold up pretty well, but man, this book feels like the most pointless fan-fictiony garbage.

Just the premise alone - President Snow was a figurehead villain, I never once thought it would be interesting or worthwhile to delve into his backstory. That actually made me a bit more curious in a way, like maybe the author had some big concept to make him intriguing. Nope, his younger self isn't particularly interesting or likeable. He just kind of meanders through the story, acting selfish and occasionally doing schemes to get himself ahead. And the secondary character, his would-be love interest, just comes across as artificial.

All the story beats feel like things I've seen a million times before. It just chugs along with generic YA stuff and hamfisted retreads and references to things in the original trilogy, especially when it wraps things up at the very end. It really feels amateurish, like a fan project that wanted to reference the older books, but without any originality or idea of how to make Snow interesting in a way that would change how I view him in those stories. I'm not an uberfan of the originals, but I like them fine, it's just weird how big the drop in quality was for this one.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Tiggum posted:

I've been doing this left and right with audiobooks. I've gotten 70% through one when there was a big split personality reveal and I stopped listening. I wouldn't even call myself a fan of thrillers/mysteries, theyre just comfy to listen to at work, so I listen to quite a few and drat near half of them have some kinda split personality thing and it makes me so fuckin mad

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can't listen to books on audio. I've tried, but I just have this mental switch kick in from when I was a kid and got read to at bedtime so as soon as a book starts, I'm yawning and trying not to pass out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I lucked out in enjoying audiobooks, between listening in bed and while doing low brainpower stuff, I get through hours a day that I wouldn't have time for if I had to sit down and read visually.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Somehow I just plain can't focus on sound-only media. Audiobooks just pass plain through my brain without being retained at all, same for podcasts.

But yeah, also count me in as somebody who often sticks with bad books to the end against my better judgement. I guess part of it is that I've rarely read books where there was a singular moment that made me decide it was capital-B Bad (looking at you, Lev Grossman). Much more often it's just a case of a book having a lot of aspects that I usually enjoy but me never quite connecting with it for reasons I often can't even really articulate. Which of course leads to the eternal siren song of everything maybe finally coming together in the next chapter after all.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you have a lot of trouble processing audio only stuff, and don't have a reason already, maybe get checked for ADHD, it was one of the things my shrink said to convince me to test.

More on topic, I'm finally giving myself permission to just not finish books and it's been life changing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought Life, the Universe And Everything was a pretty solid continuation of form.

i don't remember which of the hhgttg books is which, but whichever one is the extended joke about cricket, woof

e: lol that's the one you are referring to. different strokes i guess

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Mar 5, 2024

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It was certainly better than Mostly Harmless which is at best pretty bleak and at worst entirely mean-spirited towards the entire series.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

darkwasthenight posted:

It was certainly better than Mostly Harmless which is at best pretty bleak and at worst entirely mean-spirited towards the entire series.

Yeah, Mostly Harmless is the only bad Hitchiker's book. It reads like Adams was depressed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeah, Mostly Harmless is the only bad Hitchiker's book. It reads like Adams was depressed.

I like how it just perfunctorily robbed the protagonist of the one positive development in his life, and not really in a funny or ironic way... just sort of randomly, cruelly. Ha-ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I didn't find Mostly Harmless noticeably different in tone from the rest of the series :shrug: Random, pointless, incomprehensible cruelty is a major theme of the whole series.