Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I submit a book called "Carrion Comfort." I honestly don't know why, I've read many other books that were written far shittier. It's just when I think about how awful the ending is, it completely obliterates the previous 90% of the book.

Seriously, the book shits the bed so bad at the end it stained the box spring. it would be like if you were watching a deeply detailed political machination movie with tons of dialogue, and then it ends with an 80's action hero dropping one liners and walking away from explosions smoking a cigar.

The entire novel is about these immortal psychic vampires with the ability to posses people. All the characters except two have this ability, and they basically fight each other by proxy in a big dick waving contest. there's two factions, with human detectives trying to figure out whats going on and basically being the proxy audience. It really is a figurative (and at times literal) chess match between two rival powers, complete with backstab, spies, intrigue, and what not. Think "The Hunt For Red October," but everyone has magic powers.

Then you get to the awful conclusion and just go "what the gently caress?!?" nothing makes sense, no acts like they should, and it wraps up in three trite pages.

As for Stephen King and the Dark Tower, you really owe it to yourself to read it. Towards the end of the series they recreate the Seven Samurai with characters throwing plates with razor edges, the Gunslingers, and a guy with a sling on one side. On the other side, they are fighting Doctor Doom clones riding robot horses who are wielding Light Sabres and throwing explosive "Golden Snitches" from Harry Potter. This is not even in the top ten of the weirdest things that happen. I actually did like it, I've read most of his works and there are direct plots in The Dark Tower relating to Green Dragon, The Stand, Salems Lot, The Talisman, Black House, Insomnia, And Stephen King getting hit by a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

and the ending is what?

The entire plot is that these immortals (they can be killed, they just live forever as long as they control people) use "pawns" to fight. one of the pawns went crazy and is killed in the first act. (or so it would seem.) The humans find a way to fight into the compound where the two remaining factions are meeting to decide the next game. One faction wants to escalate the game using world powers and nuclear weapons, the other side likes it small scale. Our plucky humans find a way to break the control, and after being literal pieces on a human chessboard kill one leader, and try to kill the crazy woman who they discover is still alive. After storming the compound, they realize crazy chic had doctors make a body double with plastic surgery and isn't there but they kill everyone anyway. This is from two characters that have been detectives through most of the book.

Fade to the ending where its revealed that crazy chic is far, FAR stronger then any of the other immortals. crazy chic (who hasn't really been doing much through the book except being cray-cray) is sitting on a nuke submarine that she now controls and its implied she launches nukes at the remaining immortals. Not only is it Deus ex machina, but it's ham-fisted and doesn't really make any sense. I guess the idea was a pawn could kill both sides? I dunno. Throughout the entire book her motivation was to run and hide. I'm fuzzy on the details, but it was like the ending to Hannibal but much, much worse.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've never been able to make it through Carrion Comfort. I'm usually pretty good at powering through bad books, but that one for whatever reason I just couldn't do it.

Thank whatever deity you may or may not follow. I've never read a book with such a bad final act. I even finished "The House of Leaves" with a better taste in my mouth, and that book is just a throw away episode of "the Twilight Zone" with extra poo poo thrown in to make you feel like you earned the twist ending.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Nah. The first book's worth reading, but just pretend he never wrote any more. Or at the very least, skip Wizard and Glass. There is no reason anyone should ever read Wizard and Glass.

I think it's because I read them as they were released, but Wizard and Glass was my favorite book in the series.

I also should give House of Leaves another read, I think the issue was I read it right after reading A Choir of Ill Children and Shadow at the Bottom of the World.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

Really? I read the first one, didn't like it, and I haven't read any of the others because every one I know says the series picks up with The Wasteland and I don't want to slog through The Drawing of the Three to get there.

I know its an odd series, but for me it was the perfect storm of timing and influences. When I was growing up Stephen King was my favorite author. I read all of his books many times, and started noticing that they all reference each other in small ways. Cujo is buried at the pet cemetery, for example. (obviously the real pet cemetery in the front, not the micmac burial ground in the back. ) it was never anything major, just little nods here and there. Sheriff Pangborne remembering the mess at Derry from IT, Salem's lot being the boogieman of towns in other books, that sort of thing.

I read the first three when I was an early teen, and then had to wait four years for Wizard and Glass to come out. That was when he really started showing what he was doing with the series, Randall Flagg makes a cameo who was the preivous bad guy in both Eyes of the Dragon and The Stand. It also had all the imagery that appealed to a young me. I just re-read all the books as the new ones came out, (along with all the books tied to it that came out in between Dark Tower books) and I just kind of enjoyed the massive world building with all fantasy genres bleeding together as a general question of fiction and archtypes.

I guess what I'm saying is I thought it was drat near perfect, even with the massive changes in tone that occurred after his car accident. All that being said, I can easily understand why ANYONE wouldn't like it, and it's a book series I never recommend to anyone.