Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Flowers in the Attic

You can love your sister, but you shouldn't love your sister.

I enjoy this podcast about terrible books: I Don't Even Own a Television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It does seem to be a feature of scifi in particular that you'll be happily reading a book and suddenly BAM the author's dick slaps you right in the face. I started to read the Uplift trilogy lately and like three pages in he's drooling over a lady in a bikini bringing him a sandwich and siiiigh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My favourite terrible book is The Fall of Lucifer, book one in the Chronicles of Brothers series. I bought it because I'm a sucker for stories about angels (not lovely inspirational poo poo, actual awesome angels) and my God, it's awful. Everything is just so overwritten. They're insanely popular and I honestly don't really understand it.

It's hard to pick out passages that convey the full, dragging weight of Wendy Alec's prose but I will try:

quote:

Lucifer stood, an imperial figure. His monstrous black war chariot, riding on the shafts of thunderbolts, the huge silver wheels sprung with the sharpest war blades, was pulled by eight of his finest dark-winged stallions, their manes intertwined with platinum, caparisoned as for war, glistening black as the night.

And then, for a fleeting moment, the sun's rays broke through, the clouds dissipated, and Gabriel could see Lucifer's lips moving incoherently with the incantations of the damned. Gabriel did not turn to him, but saw his stallions' shadows on the clouds as the war chariot thundered past, the crimson emblem of the infernal flame on hell's flag flying proudly.

He passed so close that Gabriel's white mare trembled and snorted at the putrid reek of his satanic wizardry. Gabriel turned his head from the damning presence.

quote:

Lucifer hesitated, mystified. He frowned. "...not the code for angelic DNA."

His palm ran like quicksilver over the angelic writings...a look of horror crossed his face. "It's His genetic code!"

He turned the page, his hand trembling. He watched the animated hologram, ashen-faced, as an almost exact female replica was surgically cloned from the male Homo sapiens prototype. Sharing the same DNA.

The hologram zoomed in on a fertilized egg. Lucifer watched incredulously as the image progressed from an egg to a foetus to a baby.

He looked up, dazed. "It's going to replicate!" he muttered feverishly. "He's duplicating His gene... in matter!" He ran his hand distractedly through his hair. "Th--they'll be immortal... intelligent... cognizant."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hey it's Good Friday! So I went back into the book, and I found the bit where Satan enters the garden of Eden to tempt the humans to fall. Yeah her theology is pretty wack but I don't mind that in itself. I just mind her writing. I should note that he only turned into a snake to sneak in, he turned back into a hot dude in order to talk to Eve.

quote:

Eve blinked, her thoughts in disarray. "But Yehovah said that if we eat of its fruit, we shall surely die."

"You shall not surely die. Indeed, in the day that you eat of it your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be filled with wisdom and multiple discernments, just like a god."

Eve stared at Lucifer, transfixed. "Why-- I should like to be as a god..." she whispered, with an unfamiliar glint in her eyes.

He raised the fruit to his mouth. "You shall be even as I am." He took a large bite and swallowed. Then he smiled his old magnificent smile and passed the fruit to her.

She raised it to her lips and caressed it avariciously. She bit deeply into it... greedily. The juice gushed down her chin.

I didn't add those ellipses. They were there in the text. Here's a bit of the great flood. Such imagery! In this book she blends magic and high technology to give you angels who use iPads, basically.

quote:

Michael and his warriors surrounded the ark like a shield as the great waves of muddy water jettisoned high above Earth, hurling up asteroids. The violent floodwaters unleashed their boiling frenzy upon all those on the Earth-- men, women, and the Nephilim desperate to escape its wrath.

quote:

The angelic host waited on the ocean waves astride their huge stallions, silently watching the ark for signs of life. The great vessel had suffered tremendous external damage.

Jether and Xacheriel also watched, stony-faced, from the portal of the universes, intent on the door of the ark. Xacheriel put his head in his hands. "The whole race..." he muttered. "An entire race... wiped out." Dry sobs racked his ancient frame. The body scanner pulsar showed no reading.

A sombre Jether placed his hand gently on Xacheriel's shoulder, restraining his own tears. He watched the ark silently.

Xacheriel raised his head, dazed. "The calculations were meticulous," he mumbled.

He turned to Jether, who stood at the portal, open-mouthed in astonishment as he stared at the vast, flaming rainbow that covered the firmament directly over the ark.

Xacheriel followed his gaze. Then he swung around to the body scanner. It was pulsing. The pulsing grew stronger. He started to chortle euphorically. "Rakkon, get me the pulsar matter scans!"

And then Jether laughed-- a loud, deep, joyous laugh that would not be stopped. "Yehovah!"

chortled euphorically

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful. The perfect car crash of imagination and incompetence.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I can't remember if I've bitched about this before in this thread but nothing ruins an otherwise-decent scifi book for me more than the author's dick just slapping itself all over the page. It's not even that egregious, it's just something that annoys me to no end. I tried to read the Uplift trilogy and then the first time a woman appears, on like page four or something, the book immediately drools all over the swimsuit she's wearing like, gently caress offffff

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thank you for posting China Mieville. :kimchi:

I recently tried to read a book I grabbed for 75p at a charity shop, 'Seeds of Earth' by Michael Cobley. I was in the mood for some basic scifi. It's not horrific, it's just - really badly written. The prose is clunky and tin-eared and the dialogue is poor and-- it reminds me of when I tried to read 'The Da Vinci Code'. I know these things are successful because a lot of people don't give a poo poo about prose quality, and I'm not saying they should or anything. It's just kind of sad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like how the sexism comes creeping across in that post. Goodness, the professional women weren't looking very pretty when you talked to them, heaven forfend.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I read Unwind and the scene where they actually do it to one teenager was very effective and still bothers me and I kind of hate the author for doing that. Because as explained above by other people, the whole thing is stupid as gently caress.

I read through Divergent hoping there'd be some kind of twist, like *everyone* is actually told they're divergent so they're all playing this weird cat-and-mouse with each other, but nope. It's as stupid as it looks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

there wolf posted:

Anyone ever read the YA book King wrote for his daughter?

If that's The Eyes of the Dragon then for my money it's pretty good. But I like a lot of King books that other posters have said they hate so don't take my word for it. He's a real YMMV author.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Patrick Rothfuss thread over in TBB has convinced me that Name of the Wind is basically just Twilight for boys. Twilight is awful but the fact that it's 'for girls' definitely attracted some more vitriol.

Oh and The Host is okay but ends with a chick who is repeatedly described as tiny and childlike getting together with a much bigger man and it feels a bit weird.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My favourite not-there subplot of Twilight is how Carlisle Cullen is a completely crazy person who is trying to force his century-old family into acting like a Regular Human Family. We play family baseball! THAT IS WHAT FAMILIES DO. GO TO SCHOOL. KIDS GO TO SCHOOL. We are a happy family. A HAPPY FAMILY.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The book itself isn't really terrible, but there isn't a good book thread outside of the pretty dead book barn, and as a children's book it's saddled with a lot of bad characters, but I just reread Krindlekrax by Philip Ridley, released in 1991 which I haven't read in 17 years. I revisited it because I remembered enjoying it as a kid, and while the first half is a bit lacking due to most of the characters having a lot of bad gimmicks like the teacher who is reduced to tears by the mere mention of Shakespeare, or the main character's mother who when stressed always says "Polly-wolly-doodle-all-the-day" which is annoying as gently caress to read from the start, the main character, Ruskin Splinter, is a stone cold badass. He is a weedy little runt with an almost inaudible voice, but he has the heart of a lion and the balls of a rhinocerous. He is 11.

:3:
I know it's not really what the thread is for but it's nice sometimes to see someone enjoying something so much. I enjoyed reading this, thanks friend!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Here you go, if anyone actually wants to know.

Dr Thomas Meade, Spearfish physician and the first to testify, told of examining the child shortly after arrival with Lawrence County officers, Spearfish police and highway patrolmen at the Eddings house the evening of Jan. 25. He told of finding the child in a fenced enclosure under the basement steps, wearing only an undershirt. Dr Meade described Scott David Eddings's appearance as "bewildered, friendly but frightened". On first examination he noted one of his hands were swollen as if circulation had been impaired; that the child walked with a limp, had a small cut on his cheek and a bruised leg. A later and more extensive examination disclosed that the child had multiple bruises on both legs, both old and fresh; an abnormality of the scalp. Dr Meade said perhaps the most evident thing he noticed was the fright and furtive glances that the child made each time someone came down the steps into the basement.

Other observations by Dr Meade included... one-half of a large safety pin hung from a hook in the concrete block which the child demonstrated by pricking it into a small wound in his arm; and a screen-type apparatus which the doctor said was apparently used to hold him down.

loving monstrous.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So, The Addams family?

Gomez Addams is the only good billionaire because he will literally just give anyone money if they ask him for it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Robert Pattinson read the Edward book and based his performance on it which is why he hates the character so much

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SimonChris posted:

This isn't a terrible book as a whole, but I was reminded of this:

"the well-built Surgeon oscillated into the Commander's cabin..." indeed.

That second passage is solid evidence for why *men* shouldn't be allowed aboard spaceships to be honest :D

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I wrote a picture book about a dragon and a rabbit who were best friends. That's all I remember but I'm sure it was excellent.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I handed in a New Kids on the Block fanfic when I was 11 or so. Teacher was highly amused but let me get away with it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well slap my groan :monocle:

I don't think I've ever seen that actually happen before! Good shout, Literally A Bird :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Susan Calvin, a recurring character in Asimov's stories, shows hints of that future growth. She is shown to be stern and competent, but in true Asimov fashion, he always bumbled things with her. In the short story "Liar!", which I otherwise really like, she has an emotional breakdown that, while reasonable for the situation, is also incredibly badly described by Asimov's prose. There are other such events, including one where she becomes particularly (and uncharacteristically) motherly toward a malfunctioning robot who had earlier nearly killed someone, despite her every other appearance ending in her having a dangerous robot destroyed or otherwise decommissioned.

There's a good character to be had there if you ignore all of Asimov's musing that she obviously cares so much about robots because she didn't have babies.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

...that being?

Game of Thrones.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I remember that book going insane for bit characters, like that bishop JV-J stole the candlesticks got this endless and tiresome section which I suppose was meant to expound upon his piety but coming off a musical where his scene is like two minutes during a cool song it seemed interminable.

Yeah I love that book but my God he goes on. I see people complain about Dickens or Stephen King being meandering and I'm like, I know a worse guy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Nah there's a particular scene where Dany gets terrible diarrhoea as part of other stuff that's going on. It's gross but not much more gross than other things in those books, but it definitely sticks out in people's minds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tommyknockers is the only King book I could never get through. Though I've dropped out of reading his stuff lately, I think the last one I read was Doctor Sleep. He's got a lot better at writing women over the years.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He put a sex scene in the "detective novels except the last one where it's Aliens from the Internet" trilogy just because ?!?!?!?

It wasn't even a Really Perverse Stephen King sex scene, just completely unnecessary.

I didn't say he wasn't a weird writer in some ways, I just think he's better at writing women now. Though are those the Mr Mercedes books you're referring to? I've managed not to read them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I am baffled as to how anyone takes away 'Jay Gatsby's behaviour is okay' from that story though. I mean it doesn't work out great for him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

lord funk posted:

If there's one thing high school English class taught me, it's that each novel has one and only one correct interpretation, and you'll get points off if you don't know it.

One time in an English class - I was about 13 or 14 I think - we were offered a snippet of a poem that goes:

A violet by a mossy stone half-hidden from the eye
Fair as a star, when only one is shining in the sky

The teacher asked me which image I thought most beautiful and I chose the star, and she immediately asked three or four other people, who all agreed the violet was the prettier image and I was wrong.

Apparently I'm still annoyed about that. Also it's Wordsworth I just discovered from google.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Darkhold posted:

I started The Sandman series on Season of Mists and was blown away how it seemed like a fully realized universe with such a deep backstory that was only hinted at. I felt so stupid when I saw it was actually a solid 1/3 of the way into the series. So I went back....and found that it pretty much starts like that as well.

I read Sandman according to which volumes showed up in my local library, so I actually started with The Kindly Ones. Honestly it still felt awesome slowly putting together the story as I read more and more of them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

(Also, how many good looking authors are there? I'd take the shot, too.)

China Mieville is hot to a degree that startled me the first time I saw a pic of him. However even if I could, I would not sleep with him, because apparently he's a bastard.

I think I could date someone who wrote awful fiction so long as they didn't require me to lie to them about it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I paid actual money for the novelisation of Re-Animator and it's actually very good? I mean, for a novelisation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The back to the future novelization is insane and north's takedown of it is great

I ordered this book when I was 13 back when you had to go to actual bookstores and place an order and they imported it from the US for me. At GREAT COST (for baby me).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

packetmantis posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Nah, there is a novelisation of the movie that was an adaptation of some short stories. It adds some character background and a few events that aren't in the movie and generally rounds things out and it is not written horribly. I would not advise anyone else pay money for it but it's honestly not bad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's a YouTube channel that goes over the differences between novels and their film adaptations and I always thought it'd be neat to do the same thing for films and their novelizations.

Lost in Adaptation!

I like that channel. It's fun times.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPtiXdv7RoU8IkrJeNY73qw

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

spite house posted:

I remember the novelization of "Terminator 2" being surprisingly engaging, and it included the deleted scene with the learning-chip switch, without which the entire third act of the movie makes very little sense.

The best thing about the Re-Animator novelisation is that it reveals that West is actually *Canadian*. No wonder he's so invested in reviving the dead, they're all necromancers up there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Carnival of Shrews posted:

This is a call-out to the original story.

West isn't Canadian in 'Herbert West -- Reanimator', but in 1915 he volunteers as a doctor for a Canadian regiment in Flanders, taking the narrator along with him, in search of a plentiful source of fresh corpses (the US would not join WW1 until 1917, and West clearly didn't want to miss out on valuable research time).

Oh that's right, I forgot about that little snippet. I remembered the wartime bit but forgot the Canada connection.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jenny Nicholson had a video where she tackled terrible neocon book 'Trigger Warning' that might be worth a watch if you're in that mood.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DARE I DO

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Which one, I swear fifty books and movies came out "Triggered" or "Trigger Warning" or some poo poo

By 'William W Johnstone' who I think might not actually be the author at this point, I forget, I'd have to watch the video again.

e: found link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I will always stan for Ursula K. Le Guin when it comes to sci fi, as examples of some of the first feminist sci fi. Some of it has aged a bit awkwardly, but she didn't stay entrenched in her ideas on sex and gender, and you can see the change in them over time through her writing.

Always Coming Home is my favourite book right now. Astonishing.

James Tiptree Jr also wrote some impressive stuff though I've never fallen in love with one of her stories exactly. I liked Clarke when I was a kid and just learning about science fiction, particularly his short stories. He's lumped in with Asimov for me in 'short stories good, long stories dull' and 'turned out to be a sexmonster'.