Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've read some total shite.

Got through all 1000 odd pages of Atlas Shrugged. Just awful writing and dialogue, no nuance at all to the characters, they are all either evil simpletons or handsome supermen. I have no problem with fiction that the author uses to argue a certain philosophical point of view, even if I don't agree with it. But for fucks sake don't have characters just speaking entire essays and even a novella as monologues.

I read some Piers Anthony as a teenager. I think it was the Tarot series of books. I don't know if it was those books or others from Anthony or some other weird pervert sci-fi writer or even a fever dream, but I seem to remember a space-Catholic monk doing Judo throws on Bigfoot and Jesus being celibate because they botched his circumcision.

I know it's part of the canon of cool books as judged by the internet but World War Z was on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I just found the standard of writing to be very poor with WWZ. The different voices read like very facile impersonations and some are comically bad. Which is probably the worst thing for a book that is a collection of interviews.

Looking past that it's the hamfisted social commentary and masturbatory nerd fantasy stuff (blind Japanese swordsman, etc) that's no better than all the rest of the pulp comic book/fantasy/sci-fi shite out there.