Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

uvar posted:

My Sweet Satan by Peter Cawdron was pretty disappointing. A mysterious satanic message comes from a tiny moon of Saturn in the 2030s, and a spaceship with small crew is sent to investigate. NASA tells the AI (who is secretly self-aware and somewhat evil) it might have to destroy the ship if there's a threat so it mutinies and kills the crew.

Literally 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Please do not conflate millennia-old and "universal" religious and cultural traditions with fandoms for corporately owned intellectual properties, thanks.

What is Thor classified as?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Someone writing a King Arthur story in 2021 is not coming from the same place as Geoffrey of Monmouth or Thomas Malory and is probably writing fanfiction.

So Botticelli's The Birth of Venus is fanart, since it was created a thousand years after people stopped believing in Venus.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

No, because the concept of fandom can inform a 21st-century author but is not applicable to a painter in the 15th century.

I think you're trying to draw a much harder line than really exists.

I mean, yes, Dante was a devout Christian, but there's nothing in Christianity about some Italian girl you crushed on becoming a holy being who can compel the Virgil to guide you through the underworld (pausing in Limbo so all the great writers can call you a genius), or about having to throw poo poo at Cerberus and hide from Medusa, or about demons using farts to communicate.

Likewise the comedy Greek plays where Hermes shows up to crack some wry comments and get the audience giggling weren't holy venues for worshiping the God of Trade. Several philosophers got mad because the casual titillation of the stories the common folk enjoyed was seen as disrespectful to the gods.

Or, for a different angle, Morpheus was not a god worshiped by the Greeks or Romans. Ovid invented him and he became popular and widespread enough that now we go "oh yeah, Morpheus, the God of Dreams" and use it as a reference to classical mythology. What is that but a fanmade character becoming canon?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Look at this. It's worthless, fanfiction, a dime a dozen from a writer on the net. But bury it in the sands for a thousand years, it becomes priceless.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"It's not fanfic, it's not fanfic!" I insist as Dante writes about Virgil summoning an Archangel who then blows up the Furies by shouting at them.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Jan 22, 2021

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Dante not having access to the right websites is the only reason none of the circles of hell involve being vored by a six-titted cow-woman

Gluttony, Cerberus.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Well, now I want to read Inferno.

In case this was serious/for anybody who might want to, I recommend this translation: https://www.amazon.com/Divine-Comedy-Wicksteed-Unabridged-Translation/dp/0394701267

It strikes the right balance in preserving the poetic grandeur of the epic, without descending into snarled forced constructions from trying to fit English into Italian rhyming patterns.

Also it's not the godawful Longfellow translation, which is poo poo.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The man who invented the clitoris in 1973

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yet somehow GT turned out better than DBS.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Stexils posted:

Gaius Sextus Sexhaver held his manhood and beheld the hooded man

*angrily crumples up manuscript*

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The best example is Rama II basically going, "Oh all those space colonies mentioned in the first book? They are no longer a thing and everybody just decided to move back to Earth." It couldn't be more blatant that the co-author needed the crutch of relying on the stereotypes of different nations and couldn't be bothered to adjust his writing to the setting.

God, the Rama sequels were such complete trash. I'm struggling to think of another series which such a hard and fatal drop in quality after the first one. Maybe Jaws?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I assume there is something in the brain of SF authors that just make them start writing hosed up sex stuff after a while.

My theory is that it's because scifi is The Boundary-Breaking Genre, that's its 'job', if you can say a genre has a job. It's for exploring the far reaches of what societies and technology could become. But by now, the boundaries that needed to be broken largely are, or are in the process of. Original Star Trek was blazing a trail just by having a black woman as part of the bridge crew, to the point that MLK himself advised Nichols to keep playing the role when she considered leaving the show.

Can't get those kind of kudos for just being a decent person nowadays, gotta go wild, gotta shock the audience, also in this scenario you're a horrible pervert with a very poor concept of what boundaries should stay up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

It sounds like a guide to caring for a pet gecko

Dear goons, I went on a date today. I gave her a bug and then she licked her own eyeball. I think things are going well. Is it too soon to buy her a hot rock?