Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

NLJP posted:

My brother loaned me Ready Player One and good loving lord is that infuriating bullshit of the most childish kind. It was so bad.

Apparently there's a whole thread about it in GBS but no way am I going to go in there. I like dumb escapist fantasy and science fiction, I've read many bad books that I kinda enjoyed but the whole shtick of being a total badass because you know all these obscure 80s pop culture references was just sort of sad. Plus the writing was awful.

That's the only one that really sticks out from the last few years. Thankfully I have a merciful memory when it comes to bad books in that I just tend to forget I've read them.

edit: oh hey what do you know, two in a row.

edit2: Ah I forgot The Dresden Files: "Urban Magician" Harry Dresden Private Eye etc. is too cool for all of your bullshit. Dames, trenchcoat gets into the establishment's face, scrapes through each situation in banter and blood, general fuckup but only so that he can shrug through it all but actually he's really miserable and man just awful all around. A pastiche of a noir sleuth meets Die Hard and magic. I got through three books of this now 15 book series for some reason (people told me that's when it gets good I think). Now all this might sound ok again as a dumb escapist fantasy (which, yeah, got no problem with that kind of thing) if it wasn't so miserably badly written. One of those I won't ever understand being quite as popular as it is.

Another one to thank my bro for. Thbro.

To get an idea, this is in the OP of the Book Barn Dresden Files thread:

"Badass"

gently caress you and your poo poo opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

He was probably deeply confused when Eve ate the apple with her mouth.

With her anus around her neck, Eve just had to make do in a pinch.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine RPO doesn't describe Buffy the Vampire Slayer as "the most feminist work of fiction in history" but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Let me check my copy...I am still pissed I paid for this.

0 hits for Buffy. Oddly enough, 0 hits for feminist.

The closest reference to a Whedon female protagonist?

RPO posted:

Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I’d first obtained it, but I’d immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

I would like to nominate the Dinosaur Lords by Battletech Emeritus author Victor Milan.

The cover is a Goddamn masterpiece and GRR Martin sang it's praises. It was hyped a year before it was released, and then...

It was poo poo. Dinosaur poo poo. Literally Dinosaurs farting and making GBS threads and dying to puny humans. Victor Milan created a new milieu of the world Paradise and he filled it with nothing but methane and poo poo.

This cover deserved a better story.

Sorry, there was alot of poo poo.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

AA is for Quitters posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Preacher-Mountain-Caesar-William-Johnstone/dp/0821751441

Preacher and the Mountain Cesar.

I'd read some of the other preacher books and they are decent western romps. Nothing too challenging. So I picked this up for free, and paid way too much for it.

This one though suffers from "post herbert dune" syndrome. Features an incestual hillbilly family, and a crazy guy who thinks the best place to rebuild Rome is in the middle of the mountains. Like straight down to gladiator games, and his 12 year old son is a sadist who gets off on people dying. Like actually gets off. As a12 year old.

I literally could not stop reading it because every page just got worse.

Thank you for your...input?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Alaois posted:

this is man who gets angry when Ready Player One and The Dresden Files are attacked in this thread

Thank you, but I had previously ripped Ready Player One and quoted passages as emphasis.

We have all purchased books we end up regretting. Ebooks just makes it easier to quote from our past mistakes. Another example was the book Dinosaur Knights, which I had hope for and had read the author's previous works as a teenager. Pretty cover, great praise for it, (Even from GRR Martin!), but it had little content other than lots of Dinosaur poo poo, piss and snot.

But thanks for misrepresenting me.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

PJOmega posted:

You know we're all capable of clicking "show only posts by user," right? Let's not be too ridiculous with our falsehoods.

quote:

Wheat Loaf posted:
I imagine RPO doesn't describe Buffy the Vampire Slayer as "the most feminist work of fiction in history" but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Jew It To It! posted:

Let me check my copy...I am still pissed I paid for this.

0 hits for Buffy. Oddly enough, 0 hits for feminist.

The closest reference to a Whedon female protagonist?

RPO posted:
Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I’d first obtained it, but I’d immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull.

This is praising Ready Player One? Oh, wait, I was pissed that I paid for it, I therefore must defend it.

Ninurta has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Sep 14, 2017

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Alaois posted:

christ you're a baby

Thanks for the reply.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Hint, scroll to your first post. You know, the one you where you got upset about RPO and Dresden Files being criticized. Seriously, this disingenuous little snit in't even entertaining as a meltdown.

Now, if you want to go full meltdown and entertain us for a page by all means go for it. Threads in a bit of a lull.

I like the Dresden Files. I do not like Ready Player One. Simple enough?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Everything I've read about Dresden Files seems like some fun supernatural ideas with the main character being probably the least interesting and original thing about it.

Also, every setting's Lovecraft ripoff ancient reality-destroying abominations always seem to be infinitely more boring conceptually than anything Lovecraft ever wrote. Even the black people.

Dresden is an aquired taste. It is Urban Fantasy Ramen. It starts generic and gets better in book 3.

For Lovecraft I would recommend either Lovecraft Country or the updated Beast of Red Hook.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

queserasera posted:

Has there been a book like Watch on the Rhine done competently? I'm a fan of "summoning the Deep Ones to stop Cthulhu" stories and they all suck. Like eating your favorite treat not realizing it's stuffed with something disgusting and now it's running down your shirt.

The Milkweed Triptych by Ian Tregillis sort of fits the bill of what you're looking for.

Book blurb: When the Nazis start running missions with people who have unnatural abilities—a woman who can turn invisible, a man who can walk through walls, and the woman Marsh saw in Spain who can use her knowledge of the future to twist the present—Marsh is the man who has to face them. He rallies the secret warlocks of Britain to hold the impending invasion at bay. But magic always exacts a price. Eventually, the sacrifice necessary to defeat the enemy will be as terrible as outright loss would be.

It goes sort of how you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Except for turning World War II into a setting for stupid magic/superpower nonsense, apparently.

MAD gone mad. You mad?

It makes sense if you actually read the books and not masturbate while complaining that SciFi isn't the Literature you're looking for.