Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Galaxy Quest is the only good Star Trek movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Bargearse posted:

Yes because the sequels were good

Lol. The sequels were a handful of cool scenes and some decent acting strung together by whatever plot the director was pulling out of his rear end as the camera was rolling.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also, I don't know what a zutara is.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Last Jedi yes, Force Awakens kinda, but I'm not sure how anyone can defend the writing of Rise of Skywalker. A major part of the plot came from a loving Fortnite tie-in.

Still blows my mind that Disney bought Star Wars for god knows how many billions of dollars, and instead of taking a couple of talented writers and have them sit down and write out a coherent plot for the sequels they just threw that poo poo at the nearest producers and said "we don't give a poo poo do whatever".

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Always Coming Home is my favourite book right now. Astonishing.

James Tiptree Jr also wrote some impressive stuff though I've never fallen in love with one of her stories exactly. I liked Clarke when I was a kid and just learning about science fiction, particularly his short stories. He's lumped in with Asimov for me in 'short stories good, long stories dull' and 'turned out to be a sexmonster'.
Clarke and Asimov were sexmonsters?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land as a birthday gift by a friend, and my question is how the gently caress do you manage to get obnoxiously preachy about agnosticism?? Jesus loving Christ.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
For some reason I've always found even offhand references to contemporary pop culture to be really offputting in written media. I dunno, it just feels cheap. Stephen King is really bad at this. Like, why the hell does the manic drumming that drives the citizens of Ludd to kill each other have to be the drum beat from Velcro Fly? Why the gently caress is the futuristic superweapon a loving Harry Potter reference? What loving purpose does that serve? Goddammit!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Commander Rambo Steelfist Schwarzenegger stood in one corner of the metal platform, wielding a terrifying erection.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

this prose is wild

That there sure as gently caress are words. I recognize several of them.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Made-up fantasy/sci-fi names for real things. Or things that are functionally identical to real things but have lasers or magic added for no reason.

Aw man, I adore Watership Down, but coming back to it years after I first read it, gently caress does that poo poo take me out of the story. We're already presumably translating the rabbit language into human speech. Why the hell do they say "silflay" instead of "grazing" ? Humans have perfectly fine words for time of day, you don't have to write "ni Frith" when we have "sundown" gently caress goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
In hindsight it's pretty drat obvious exactly where Adams ran out of the script from the radio series and started going off on his own - halfway through Life, the Universe and Everything . There's a pretty abrupt tone shift from campy and fun to surreal and pretty bleak. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish is just a weird book that contains little humour and feels disconnected from the previous ones. Mostly Harmless is, as someone said, just needlessly cruel.