Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

spite house posted:

Emma Donoghue's Frog Music is outlandishly bad, a horrible unpleasant slog full of characters who aren't even unlikeable in an amusing way and a plot that reads like the dullest-ever CYOA. A shame since Room was loving brilliant. What happened?

God yes. Was so disappointed in Frog Music.

On the topic of authors who should definitely do better, Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer is ridiculously awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

spite house posted:

Is that the one with the boring middle-aged white people who do it in the woods? I completely forgot I ever read that. What a fuckin dog.

That's the one. Put it down when the boring middle aged white lady told the boring middle aged white man he was into her because he could smell her ovulating.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Thinky Whale posted:

James Frey and A Million Little Pieces? I remember that. Oprah was pissed.

Frey makes his living now churning out young adult fiction. He does the "I Am Number Four" series.