Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wild Animus is fantastically bad. The author gave away anywhere between 50,000 and 5,000,000 of free copies all over the place. It's absolutely everywhere, but nobody has ever purchased a copy.

quote:

i got this as a freebie at the final Phish concert.

quote:

This book came to me very awkwardly, they dropped a copy of it in the front yard and i read it

quote:

Oh, that's right, our book group got a bunch of copies for FREE from the publisher along with smoked fish.
It's a bizarre self-indulgent story about NOT THE AUTHOR who quits his boring job for the maaaaaaan, goes up into the mountains to become a shaman, and starts dressing like a ram while getting high and having awesome sex and being the best ever. To quote Goodreads:

quote:

Venture capitalist puts id firmly in anus. Becomes furry. Blathers.
A more detailed story of the full weirdness of the book and how it's distributed (hell, I was given a copy by a stranger in a cafe in Wellington, New Zealand in maybe 2011. It's still going, and it's going further afield) is here.

quote:

Not to mention the audiobook, which was also given away in huge quantities. In 2009, a librarian used the WorldCat database to determine which sound recording was available in the greatest number of libraries in the world. Harry Potter books came in at second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth. Number one? Yep. Wild Animus.

While I'm here, I should also mention Tyra Banks' debut novel Modelland. The official theme song should be enough to let you know what you're in for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjC-L2O3I4g

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I got this as part of some ebook bundle and couldn't get through it, then later found out that it's supposed to be really popular. I'm still not convinced that the people who say they like it aren't pulling some kind of elaborate prank, because really?
It's terrible, but it's easy to see why it's popular. It proposes a world where getting rich, getting the girl and being the most famous man in the world all come down to how much bullshit pop culture trivia you've memorized. It's pure wish-fulfillment. It's an insufferable nerd's wet dream. That guy who incessantly quotes Firefly at inappropriate times finally gets to pretend that all the time he's wasted watching TV and reading comic books is actually worth something.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If we're on terrible Fantasy, here is a great page where Terry Goodkind gets thoroughly destroyed.

quote:

She is almost raped at least 9 times throughout the series, but always manages to escape/be rescued in the nick of time. On one occasion, she is attacked by a chicken that is not a chicken, but evil incarnate. It has an evil cackle.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is inexplicably popular in the Book Barn. I picked it up because people kept recommending it, and was greeted by the bastard child of Dragonball Z and GRRM at his worst. The very first chapter has the protagonist raping two women, then locking them in a barn and lighting it on fire, then laughing about it with his buddies while the women scream in the background.

This is framed like "whoa what an edgy bad boy we've got here he's so cooooooool" but it's so horrible and over-the-top that you end up hating the guy very quickly. He's given a TRAGIC BACKSTORY to explain why he's such an rear end in a top hat (he got pushed into a bush and it hurt real bad) but it never really justifies the over-the-top horrifying poo poo that he does. At one point he tears out an enemy's heart and eats it. Not for any particular reason -- just because I guess he's hungry?

If that isn't enough, it is super anime. It is the most anime book that I've ever read. I don't really know how to go into a lot of detail there but everybody is incredibly young and handsome: Jorg, our protagonist, is 14 years old and the most handsome man alive and also the best fighter and general and at one point he stares down a ghost and it RESPECTS HIM SO MUCH that it leaves him alone. He is also, as mentioned, a rapist, a murderer and a cannibal.

It reads like it was written by a 14 year-old boy overdosing on Adderall while writing down all the HARDCORE stuff his mom JUST DOESN'T UNDERSTAND and masturbating furiously. I kept reading it because the Book Barn said it got better, but it never did. I mean, it got comparatively better from the way it started, but it never stopped being pure garbage.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Evfedu posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Prince of Thorns, and King of Thorns moreso. Emperor of Thorns... eh. Also feel the guy with the bearded nerd-atar is mis-characterising the books, but w/e.
Howso? I'm legitimately interested to see a positive take on them. People kept telling me they redeemed themselves and everything makes sense later on, but I just couldn't bear it any further than the first book.

Also my av is Ted Berrigan and he does not belong in the bad book thread. :colbert: I did pick the gooniest looking photo of him I could find though.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

Speaking of crazy popular bad fantasy, the loving Kingkiller series. The author has succumbed to his fame so hard that 2/3 of the way through an trilogy that promised to show the rise and fall of an epic hero book 2 ends with hero still in his mid teens at magic school and hopelessly in love with a courtesan who sees him as a nice guy. Also sex ninjas and the hero bangs every girl he comes across and is so good at sex his first time he beds a fairie goddess known for killing people via sex and overwhelms her. And the third book is essentially non-existent as the writer takes on tons of RPG/D&D/Kickstarter writing projects and attends every con in existence.

Oh, and I forgot, the "unreliable narrator" is the defense used by fans for the terrible scenes.
There's a 70 page sex scene in the second book. Kvothe (the protagonist, and really obviously an idealised version of the author) stumbles into the realm of the queen of the sex faeries, who is so good at sex that it drives men insane. At one point, in a reflecting pool, Kvothe sees a vision of the girl he likes. She's being beaten by her boyfriend, who is a MEAN JOCK. Kvothe basically goes "bitch deserved it for not dating me I'm such a nice guy" then goes back to sticking it in the queen of the sex fairies. He spends 1000 years in her sexy realm having awesome sex with her, then she says "oh my god you're so good! You're the best at sex ever, Kvothe!" and while she's passed out from gettin' hosed good, he escapes the fae realm.

After that, he goes north to the realm of the sex samurai, who teach him the art of war and also free love.

He's like 15.

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jul 19, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I am having the alternate experience and want to crack open my copy just to see how long I can stand it.
Did I mention that before he had the best sex in the entire world because he's just that good he was a virgin? Never even touched a titty, then suddenly he's getting into the strangest strange ever and coming out on top.

Did I also mention that this book is 994 pages and a whole lot of that is Kvothe worrying about his finances? I swear the whole first 1/3 of the book is him schlepping around campus and thinking about the money he doesn't have. He moons over this one girl he can't have, while every other woman in the book is secretly into him but he just doesn't realise it.

If Rothfuss spins around with book 3 and says "surprise, Kvothe is totally full of poo poo and is just kind of a loser blowhard" then I will do a total 180 on these books. The whole gimmick is that he's like 30 and telling his story back to a random bard-scribe-dude, so it's possible but I don't think it's very likely.

There are actually pretty good aspects of it; Rothfuss writes very nice prose, and the world and the magic are pretty interesting. In the first book, the good things overpower the bad. In the second book, they take a backseat to terrible sex scenes and author wish fulfillment. Rothfuss kinda galls me, because he's clearly talented, but he really needs a loving editor to slap him around and say "this does not belong in the book." Cut 80% of the campus poo poo and 100% of the weird sex, then cut the Nice Guy bullshit. It's 994 pages, so it's not like it was gonna be too short. Actually do something with the cool plot arcs with the Chandrian and the weird present-day horror movie poo poo that's going on while Kvothe narrates. It's frustrating that so much good poo poo gets set up, then totally ignored for more Kvothe being sad that girls don't like him.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Did you even read the post you were replying to.

When it comes to popular authors Crichton may have been a nutjob and King may have ended a book dedicated to his son with a preteen sewer gangbang, but nobody can touch Dean Koontz's creepy love affair with golden retrievers.
Ahaha Koontz is great. I reread The Taking recently, and there's a huge amount of far-right subtext in there that I missed the first time. Characters are constantly going "it's the end of the world and it's not global warming at all! Bet those atheist scientists are feeling silly right about now."

At one point they're driving along in a huge gas-guzzling SUV, and they manage to escape some bad poo poo. The narrator then goes "man, imagine if we'd been in a prius lol liberals are terrible."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

It's OK, it's so ridiculous that it's worth pointing out twice.

Pretty much every Dean Koontz novel is about a stoic manly-man solving problems with guns. Time-traveling Nazis? Genetically-engineered bioweapons? Satanists committing mass murder with the help of the spirit world? Just shoot them a whole bunch!
Well, the Taking is a little bit different from that.

It's the biblical apocalypse, except demons are actually aliens. The book ends because the Good Christians kept their faith and resisted the devil, and after all the heathens and liberals have been abducted/dragged to hell, our protagonists are left to recreate the world the right way. They never actually really fight back, they just kinda survive thanks to their faith.

And yes, there is a gratuitous golden labrador.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Has anybody read the Iron Druid books? Amazon kept recommending them to me for ages and they looked like hot garbage.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

The main character, a millenia old druid, at one point talks about squeeing, verbatim, upon meeting Neil Gaiman at a con.

Stay away.
Ugh, what is it with urban fantasy writers having Gaiman cameo in their story? I mean, I like the guy's writing okay but it's really obnoxious. It ruined the second Shadow Police book for me that the author felt the need to have Gaiman hog a huge amount of pagetime because he's so nice seriously you guys. He straight-up murders one of the protagonists, and it's still somehow played off like he's such a lovely man. There is also a scene where the grown-rear end detective protagonist squees over him, yes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I might catch some flak for this, but I could not stand Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It feels like it desperately needs an editor to clean up all the twee prose tics and it also just needs to get to the loving point. There's only so much "rich people attend parties with other rich people who they do not like but are icily polite to" I can take before I give up.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If you think the Wraeththu books are bad, the RPG will ruin you.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

this is a pretty bad book:

I should read this to my kid, right?
Badrear end book. It's different. It will make your kid awesome. He'll make homemade weapons and fight monsters and poo poo.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I don't think digital copies exist, but paper copies have gone down to 15 cents.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Scandalous Wench posted:

I need a goony takedown of Eat, Pray, Love so hard. Please make this happen!
I've never read it, but I did live quite close to Ubud, which is apparently one of the big locations in the novel.

The book has loving ruined the town. Not in a weird snooty hippy way, but in a "all this tourism money has gentrified it so hard that most of the locals can't afford to eat" kinda way. I meal that would cost 7000 rupiah (70c USD) in Surabaya costs upwards of 20,000 in Ubud. Compared to everywhere else in Indonesia, the prices are ridiculous and it's swarming with homeless. There's a very real feeling of resentment from the locals and I don't blame them at all.

Also in the weird snooty hippy way though, the town is overrun with obnoxious "spiritual" couples who are furious that they're not the only other white people there. They wanted a cultural experience, dammit. They wanted magical foreigns to make their souls complete.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
"Fun" Ubud story: I went there with my sister to chill out during Eidul Fitri and all the other white people just ignored me. I went back alone later and suddenly all the white guys were super aggro. It was this weird hostile thing where they were all watching me like hawks and holding their wives closer.

I'm pretty average looking and was just minding my own business, but I got treated like some sorta Fabio dude who was trying to steal their wives away. I just wanted to sit somewhere pretty and read a book. If you're a white guy in Ubud without a woman nearby, the rest of the white people lose their poo poo. Because of Eat, Pray, Love you see, it's a romance town and nobody could be there because it's got nice temples to walk around in or anything. I was working in Eastern Java and Bali was a nice change of pace but goddam the Australian frat bros have ruined Kuta, and the "spiritual" yuppie couples have ruined Ubud.

on the plus side, the vet's office has renamed itself "Eat, Spay, Love" and I got a little laugh out of that.

rant over, but I've spent a lot of time in Indonesia and I have strong opinions about Bali.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
We need to go deeper

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Nov 12, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Chuck Tingle is a wonderful genius who has no place in this thread, but after bringing up Piers Anthony I feel like we need some more levity in the thread. Have some Best of Chuck Tingle.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
ooh, this talk of terrible writers who can't deal with people not liking their books reminds me of our very own Noah Murphy.

quote:

Two heroes and a heroine, identified by their eccentric appearance and ID pinned to their clothes, walked up the concourse with the heroine in the lead.

quote:

Liza began to convulse… and transform. Her smooth curves and breasts were replaced with rock-hard muscles. Her clothes were shredded as she grew another foot in height. Her skin tanned and her hair lengthened. The seat belt snapped and the sedan dented to accommodate her massive form.

[...]

“What?” Liza yelled in a deeper tone.

“I don’t mind,” Jonola said. “I’m naked too.”

Liza slowly looked down at herself.
a (former) regular in Creative Convention's self-publishing thread, Murphy is convinced that he's god's gift to fiction, and his lack of sales are because people just don't get his writing. He had a huge meltdown when goons "made fun of him" (read: gave him some pretty good advice to help him improve) and quit the forums forever, but the incident drove him to write This Book Will Fail about his experiences. The best thing about that book is the top-rated Amazon review:

quote:

Author Noah Murphy sets himself up as a sort of jaded, Byronic figure in an industry he describes as poisoned and slipshod; unfortunately with zero critical or commercial success to speak of, his diatribe reads as little more than the stream-of-consciousness ramblings of a spurned, lazy amateur. One must qualify their opinion in order to make the sort of hard-hitting statement about an industry that Murphy is attempting here, and his only tenuous claims to credibility seem to be a PR fiasco surrounding the laughable "novel" Ethereal Girls and the exorbitant amounts of capital he's pissed away trying to hock his previous sub-par efforts.

If Noah Murphy's benchmark for quality is the yardstick by which he measures the self-publishing juggernaut, then it's no wonder he has met with less than stellar results. Hilariously, he spends a chapter railing against what he calls "the sea of garbage" while continuing to produce work with atrocious covers, hatchet-work editing and a void of literary merit.

This book presents itself as a gonzo-style exposé of the notoriously unforgiving do-it-yourself ebook game; instead it mimics the experience of an awkward, one-sided conversation with the author himself at a party, in which he loudly rationalizes the stunning failure of his creative efforts to anybody who might be unlucky enough to wander within speaking distance. The meandering, cyclical, blame-everybody-but-myself rambling of a wannabe mover-and-shaker with zero business acumen and even less self-awareness.

In short, don't bother

He also does his own (equally terrible) illustrations, and has a blog with important essays like Candy Crush Saga and the Erosion of the Middle Class.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I haven't read that, but it does remind me of this terrible cyberpunk novel I started where a woman is a corporate spy who needs to infiltrate a building. She goes into their bathrooms, then shits out a robotic cockroach that has wires going up her rear end, then it goes through the plumbing and lets her listen in on a meeting.

God, what was that one? It wasn't Piers Anthony but it was somebody in his ilk.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Biffmotron posted:

That'd be The Nano Flower by Peter F. Hamilton, who deserves a much longer post from somebody who actually remembers the details of his Night's Dawn series.

At least I hope that's the book. I'd hate it if that described the start of two books.
Yeah that's the one. I gave up not far past that scene, but wikipedia is telling me I made the right choice:

quote:

Common themes in his books are sexually precocious teenagers, politics, religion, and armed conflict.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

malal posted:

I submit a book called "Carrion Comfort." I honestly don't know why, I've read many other books that were written far shittier. It's just when I think about how awful the ending is, it completely obliterates the previous 90% of the book.

Seriously, the book shits the bed so bad at the end it stained the box spring. it would be like if you were watching a deeply detailed political machination movie with tons of dialogue, and then it ends with an 80's action hero dropping one liners and walking away from explosions smoking a cigar.

The entire novel is about these immortal psychic vampires with the ability to posses people. All the characters except two have this ability, and they basically fight each other by proxy in a big dick waving contest. there's two factions, with human detectives trying to figure out whats going on and basically being the proxy audience. It really is a figurative (and at times literal) chess match between two rival powers, complete with backstab, spies, intrigue, and what not. Think "The Hunt For Red October," but everyone has magic powers.

Then you get to the awful conclusion and just go "what the gently caress?!?" nothing makes sense, no acts like they should, and it wraps up in three trite pages.
and the ending is what?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Stephen King's stuff is all connected in pretty weird ways. The dimension Pennywise comes from is the same place the government opens a hole to in The Mist, and probably the same place in From a Buick 8.

For a really weird connection, there's a line in The Shining that seems to indicate Cthulhu is behind it all. Danny has a vision of something gigantic, with tentacles for a face, reaching out over the Overlook. It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line, but it's definitely in there.

Then of course The Author Stephen King gets hit by a van and a bunch of characters have to drop everything to save him. I have a very love/hate relationship with Stephen King.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of bad bestsellers, [b]The Da Vinci Code[/b ] is an utter trainwreck of amateurish bad writing built on a foundation of a D- understanding of history at best.
The best takedown of Dan Brown remains this gem.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, PYF kinda went insane for a while. A lot of people (myself included) got a bit caught up in it. I can't speak for the others, but I feel like a loving idiot in hindsight.

The very first TVT thread was definitely a mock thread though - I was the OP. It was entirely for laughing about Troper Tales, but once the thread ran out of funny ones and started digging into the forums, poo poo went really off the rails. Staring into the abyss etc etc. We really should've just let the threads die after we'd finished with Troper Tales.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I want you to imagine a man over 6'3, immensely hairy, wearing a suit and carrying a well-worn hatchet.

"Vinnie's the rat," he says -- his voice is high and girlish -- "and when I find him, I'm gonna emancipate his head from his body."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I think the thing we're all really overlooking is that Grimm got nominated.

You know, the show where X-Files meets Supernatural in the budget aisle and they get married in Vegas three hours later.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Elohssa Gib posted:

My best guess is "Think of the Children!"
The problem is the opposite. I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but a British author did an amazing blog post about the different regional covers of his books. The example he gave had the UK cover with a spaceship, and the US cover with a woman in a v-neck latex catsuit lying on her side. Apparently his American agent said US audience weren't interested in spaceships.

edit: it's Saturn's Children by Charles Stross

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Jul 6, 2016

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

hackbunny posted:

This looks so stupid I know what to read next
Required listening.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He's not wrong. 90% of everything is crap, and it seems like 95% of readers eat it up with a fork.
Whoa, Ducktales is 10% of everything.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
:love: I can almost forgive him for words like "Walpurgian" and "Retroeschatonaut"

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
We're allowed to discuss terrible authors, right? Because this nobody hack is suddenly getting so much attention that it crashed his blog. He's become one of the most reviled people in fiction basically overnight.

https://intheinbox.wordpress.com/2016/07/27/how-to-get-yourself-blacklisted/

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You forgot that most words aren't bolded (say bold 10% of the words) & also a very few should be in italics or underlined. It's gotta resemble the cadence of speech you see...
The Young Woman was shaped like a Pear (Pyrus Communis). She was Exceptionally Rude. I attempted to Bond with her Socially by talking on the topic of Dance, which she indicated was a Hobby; however, her Knowledge was Limited; I suspect she was a Fake. Women are often Fake. My wife, Hotlips, is not Fake; for this I am Thankful.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The best response to that has always been

(source)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Dril Pencils is the best.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Neil Gaiman showing up as a character in the Severed Streets was annoying as gently caress as well. There was no reason it had to be him, but it was there so the author could write the word "squee" in his otherwise pretty excellent book.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Crosspost from the terrible headlines thread; some authors do NOT take criticism well.

the author's blog, from a post called 'The Benevolent Stalker' posted:

That evening, I went through her many Facebook pictures. “Maybe this one?” I asked in a chat message.

“It’s not opening,” she said. “What photo is it?”

“You’re wearing a low-cut black lace-trimmed top. On your pink lips, a mischievous smile is playing,” I described.

[...]

A couple of weeks before our University Challenge audition, she unfriended me on Facebook. I was a little shocked and asked her why.

“You’re kinda freaking me out,” she explained. “You’re a good guy but you’re being far too forward.”

“Are you still doing University Challenge with us?” I asked.

“Only as a friend, but nothing more,” she replied.

For some reason, I then decided to tell her how I really felt; that I had become infatuated with her, and that I was in love with her. With hindsight, of course I wouldn’t have done that. In fact, I would have done almost everything differently but, at the time, I felt compelled to do what I did.

She pulled out of the team. We found a replacement and failed the audition anyway (I doubt that her inclusion would have made a difference). My dream of winning University Challenge and impressing the maiden was shattered.

[...]

I wrote love letters to her. I still had her address from the forms that she filled out for University Challenge. I felt a bit guilty using that information, but I wasn’t turning up at her door or anything.

[...]

Every great romance is about two partners who are utterly obsessed with each other. Romeo, Juliet, Tristan and Isolde are people who are so passionately and powerfully in love that nothing else matters to them. But what if that feeling was felt on only one side? What if Juliet had rejected Romeo? Would he become a stalker?

[...]

Are the Beatles creepy stalkers? Of course not. How about Sting?

“Every breath you take,
Every move you make,
Every bond you break,
Every step you take,
I’ll be watching you.”

[...]

On Valentine’s Day 2014, I sent her another card, with an elaborate drawing of a wild scene. In it, she became the character Ella Tundra, and that is how The World Rose began.

Seven months later, when it was complete, I decided to try to make my book known by getting into the national news.

[...]

I would like to reiterate that I was not plotting to kidnap her. I was planning on asking her if she would be interested in pretending to be kidnapped

[...]

“How?” she said. “How are you here?” She turned and snapped me on her phone before hurrying away.

I didn’t even get to tell her about my plan.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Megabound posted:

And then trains with polyamorous sex ninjas.
Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

pookel posted:

My ex and all his fantasy-nerd friends raved about Name of the Wind. I read a couple chapters and was bored and irritated. I see I'm not alone in finding it off-putting. Maybe it helps to be a guy to appreciate it?

Note that I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and didn't find it boring at all, for comparison. The first 150 pages are slow-moving, but still interesting.

I also loved Ready Player One, which I see is an unpopular opinion in this thread. But then, I'd heard no hype when I read it, and didn't know anything about it in advance, and was delighted to discover that it was set in my childhood.
I feel like RPO captured a certain 80s nostalgia pretty well, but it has nothing beyond that. It's fun if your childhood was at the right time; the backlash is because a whole lot of nerds online are trying to spin it as the best piece of literature ever written when it's pretty blatant nostalgiawank. There's nothing wrong with enjoying it - you just need to be honest about why.