Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

pookel posted:

Yikes, yeah. I didn't even know it was a widely known book. Someone loaned it to me and I thought it was pretty cool. I like it for all the reasons I like Stranger Things, basically.
Spielberg is currently directing the movie version of it. For a while there online it was pretty inescapable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Source your quotes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I dunno, the "mystery novel with a clairvoyant protagonist" idea earlier in the thread seems inherently self-defeating. Maybe you could do some kind of post-modern comedy with that, but I think that would end up counting as a substantially different premise anyway; you certainly wouldn't see it on the same shelf as Agatha Christie.
Nah you could easily write a straight mystery novel with that. You'd just need to be clever with the limitations you placed on the character. Hell, it's one of the better episodes of Fringe - hardly High Art, but it shows it can definitely be done, and done well.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
A circlejerk is what happens when everybody disagrees with me.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I like to eat coldsores and everybody is like "man that's gross and really not healthy" man what a circlejerk.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Guys I think There Wolf might have terrible opinion about books and women, and frequently misses the point:

there wolf posted:

I don't understand why Valdemar gets hit with being a bunch of creepy rape poo poo by so many people, and then I realize most people probably have forgotten everything else because it's all so very boring. Alternately they've never read any Anne Bishop and thus have a poor frame of reference.

there wolf posted:

Nice moral standard but it doesn't explain why everyone thinks Valdemar is some crazy rape-fest. Most of those drat books past your standards with flying colors, and the ones that don't aren't any more gratuitous or exploitative than contemporary novels of the same time. I guess she portrays rape as a violent act instead of couching it behind coercion like mind-control and soul bonds with dragons so everyone's twelve year old brain thinks of it as extra-bad.
"Yeah these books have a lot of needless rape in them, but other fantasy books have more and handle it worse so what are you even complaining about, you children."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I like novels about upper middle-class white people whose lives are disrupted by melodrama. Now that's literature.

brb it's been 15mins i gotta go jerk off Mr Franzen

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The best thing about Divergent is that all the smart people are easily identified because they wear glasses, and so the good guys can just save society by killing the people in glasses.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Speaking of hamfisted satire, does anyone remember that one where black people ("coals") ruled cruelly over white people ("diamonds") and the black folks were all ridiculously monstrous, and the (very white) author said BUT MAYBE YOU'RE THE RACIST IT'S ABOUT HOW HARD BLACK PEOPLE HAVE IT

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Indigo Raven posted:

Are you talking about Save the Pearls? It's some really trashy YA novel where due to increased UV radiation, white people (pearls) have died out and have to wear honest to god blackface to survive in a society dominated by black people (coals) and other people of color (each race had its own cutesy precious stone based nickname).

I remember the author was planning to launch a huge ad campaign trying to turn it into the next Hunger Games but considering that I haven't heard anything about it other than a few snark sites cackling at it, we can see how well that went. :v:
That's the ticket.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Meet the author:

Oh what, she IS black?

No, wait.

Ooooooh nooooooooo.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Xarbala posted:

is that david mitchell
No it's Robert Webb.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Sounds like the TV show was the perfect adaption.
The TV show is actually better. Not even kidding. It's not great, but it has some merit as entertainment.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

I Killed GBS posted:

it also has the sexual politics of a viking attack
Fun fact: the Vikings probably had the best record of women's rights in medieval Europe. Sweden was the only country where sexual assault of a woman counted as a crime against a person, rather than against (her husband/father's) property. A lot of the RAPING AND PILLAGING stuff is later Christian propaganda that came out during the conversion of Scandinavia, to paint the 'heathen faith' as barbaric.

What I'm saying is that Dracula has worse sexual politics than a viking attack.

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Oct 30, 2016

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It took me forever to realise that Rivers of London wasn't some weird alternative name for London Falling. It turns out there's two early 2010s series, written by former Dr Who screenwriters, about London police detectives called Peter who unwittingly stumble upon the city's hidden magic, that are decent books but have trouble finishing in a satisfactory manner.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Being fair, the Name of the Wind is, despite some issues, a decent book.

When it gets to the Wise Man's Fear adaptation, then we get to start throwing tomatoes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Dienes posted:

I like reading Kvothe's lines in Zapp's voice.

"Each woman is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played."

If you've never done this, you're missing out. Reading Kvothe as Zapp Brannigan improves the whole experience immeasurably.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Publishers noticed at some point in (?) the late 80s (?) that fantasy novels between 80k-120k words sold a lot better, and started demanding authors pad their poo poo out. That's pretty much it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The latest episode of I Don't Even Own a Television reviewed some godawful piece of poo poo Five Nights at Freddy's novel...

...written (ghostwritten?) by a girl I had a huge crush on in high school.

I don't know how I feel about this. Um, I guess it sold well, so that's good! Ironically, she was exactly the sort of person who might say she doesn't own a TV, and mean it.
Holy poo poo, really? Would you be willing to talk about it in the IDEOTV Party Pit? Because I'm sure Jay and Chris would love to hear more.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I could, if you think it would be interesting, but I'd be very cagey about details because there were only, like, fifty people in our entire high school and I would be easy to identify. Do you have to pay for an account?
Nah, it's a (closed) facebook group. I dunno if that will be a problem in and of itself though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ideotvpartypit/

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If your dick is shaped like this you should get it checked

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Conservative kook Ben Shapiro wrote a novel.

Here's Chapo Trap House reading some choice excerpts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYp_6DcUzbU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Lol if you don't have heralds announce your pissing. I refuse to go into the bathroom if I don't hear trumpets first.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

that's why people don't like Ready Player One

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My favourite part is how, despite jerking himself off furiously over his pop-culture credentials, he obviously knows fuckall about music.

Oh wow, the Clash and the Police? Deep pull man. 'I know everything about anime. Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Spirited Away -- you name it!'

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Or not write genre.
ATTENTION ATTENTION BravestOfTheLamps is being smug about LITERARY VS GENRE again

this is VERY IMPORTANT and EVERYBODY CARES

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Uh, I hate to break it to you but in a later book he goes back there like twenty years later and rapes his daughter (who was born out of the original rape).

and the books could be so good but their use of rape is notably awful even for 70s fantasy

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Holy poo poo, seriously? The initial rape put me off ever reading those books as a teen, but somehow I never heard about there being a second rape, complete with (accidental?) incest. The level of wretchedness people put up with in nerdlit is still astounding to me, even now.

Clench racing is loving hilarious, though. It makes me miss the Eye of Argon sessions of my youth, although we always deployed lovely fanfic instead of the classic Theis.
It's not clear whether he knows or not, but he does it because she looks like her mother so uh

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

That series has one of the most unsympathetic protagonists of all time. I read the first three books, and I wanted my money back even though I checked them out of the library.
See, I kinda like the idea of a less sympathetic fantasy protagonist. Especially from that time period, when everything was all shiny and GOOD VS EVIL.

The problem is how quickly authors go to sexual assault and how it's always like, a one-and-done thing to show how BAD the guy is -- the women are never more than props used to prove a point. Thomas Covenant isn't as bad as Prince of Thorns in that regard (worst fantasy series I've ever read and it came heavily goon-recommend what the gently caress guys) but it ain't good.

Actually can we talk about Prince of Thorns again because it's really hard to explain how bad those books are. The protagonist is:

1) Fifteen years old
2) impossibly handsome, with flowing anime hair
3) the best tactician in all the realm
4) the best soldier in all the realm
5) so scary and cool that a ghost jumps him, then goes "oh no it's that guy k bye"

CW: sexual assault
In the opening chapter, he rapes two women, then locks them in a barn and sets it on fire. While it burns down, he laughs to his fellow soldiers about the smell of bacon.

At one point in the book, he rips out a necromancer's heart and eats it. There's no particular plot reason for this, and he gets nothing out of it. It's just there so he can shove his hand into a guy's chest and rip out his heart, then eat it and monologue about how cool he is because he loves the taste of blood.

And like, at some point fairly quickly it stops being shocking, and just starts being dumb. Like that game Hatred, it wants so bad to be edgy and cool and dark but the harder it tries the stupider it comes off. It reads like the author has watched a fuckload of anime but never reads books.

oh and TWIST at the end
a wizard did it. No really, he's so evil because a wizard did it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Serephina posted:

Wow, I didn't feel like responding since I'm sure someone else would point it out, but the sex was totally consensual, with Tom ignorant of her parentage (he's been gone for what they feel is 30 years), but Elena knowing fully who her dad was but didn't bring it up. Tom was horrified when he later finds out iirc. The 'rape-as-a-whole-concept' thing was put in very early in the first book, to show Tom as an anti-hero when everyone in the world assumes he's Jesus mkII, and his difficulty handling their expectations with his self-loathing. It's super-jarring, but sexuality is really not brought up ever again of a trilogy so Donaldson get a pass.
Huh. It's been about ten years since I read it and I remember some weird tension in the scene, but I'll cop to misremembering if that's the case.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Good old GAFF, my gateway into horrible fanfic and sporking. There's another old site that is still up, "Bad Fanfic, No Biscuit!" that has some short example "trollfics" written as examples of what not to do/poking fun at bad fanfic tropes of ten-plus years ago.

I still can't see "Celebrian" written out without cringing a little.
Holy poo poo I thought I was the only person who remembered Celebrian.

I'm not sure whether it's within the ambit of this thread to discuss her but that's a nugget of classic internet crazy that never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
See now I'm wondering whether we all know different crazy things about her. She was on a ton of different websites and seemed to get involved in a new piece of weirdo drama wherever she went.

For the record, what I know her for is claiming to be psychically bonded with a huge number (200+) fictional characters then getting really angry whenever anybody contradicted her headcanon, because she was 'bonded with their souls'.