Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Florida Betty posted:

And you didn't even read the sequels. I'll summarize for you: Ayla goes off into the world on her own and invents everything now known to modern man (taming horses and inventing effective weapons and whatnot), and then finds a very attractive man who had never had pleasurable sex before because his penis was too gigantic for most women, but fortunately Ayla's apparently massive vagina was able to contain it. Naturally they are a perfect fit for each other. Then they wander around the world having lots of sex, which, if I recall correctly, involves a lot of licking each other's nipples in counter clockwise circles.

There's also detailed descriptions of mammoths loving for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Weatherman posted:

My mother sent me a copy of Digital Fortress, also by Dan Brown, shortly after I moved to Japan and was yet to source some bedtime reading material. I appreciated the thought, but once I finished reading the book -- and I had to force myself to finish the final third or so just out of some kind of completion OCD -- I put it straight in the recycling. I've only read one worse book, and that was something I picked up from a "take a book, leave a book" tray in a caravan park somewhere in New South Wales.

Dan Brown is a bad writer. I've never read or watched any of his other works, but I'm comfortable making that generalisation. The characters were one-dimensional and each had a single purpose; upcoming plot points were telegraphed to the point of "I can skip the next chapter because he's already implied what's going to happen"; the entire book read more like a screenplay to a Michael Bay movie; and the descriptions of technology were excruciatingly, ball-twistingly awful. We're talking "hack the Gibson" levels of bullshittery. Dan Brown does not understand software, nor hardware, nor cryptography.

I guess I wasn't the target market after all. Perhaps instead of appealing to techies, he was aiming for the "use Excel to write a letter, print it out, scan it in as a PDF, then rotate it, print it out again and fax it to Grandma" crowd. 1/10 would not use to line my birdcage.

I've read three Dan Brown books and they all follow the same formula:
1. An intelligent and sexy main character.
2. The plot takes place over 24 hours.
3. There's a henchmen with some disability/psychological disorder.
5. Its always a false flag operation. The villain is the one who gave the sexy and intelligent main character the task they have to solve.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best Discworld cover is Night Watch doing a parody of Rembrandt's The Night Watch.

Fun fact about the painting: it was paid for by a group of rich men playing soldiers. Rembrandt made fun of them by painting the shadow of the captain's hand so it appears that someone his grabbing the crotch of the other soldier. It was also never called the Nightwatch and isn't even set at night, but it got coated with a dark varnish that wasn't removed until the 1940s.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's not how umlauts works:argh:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

there wolf posted:

Earthsea is a major scifi/fantasy book?

It's credited with introducing the concept of "wizard school", that alone makes it pretty major.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

there wolf posted:

Yeah, but I always got the impression that wasn't that big a deal till Harry Potter came along and people started scrambling for way to call it an unoriginal rip-off.

The Discworld series, which also have a wizard school, was a pretty big deal before Harry Potter. But even without that the book has influenced people like Margaret Atwood, David Mitchell and Hayao Miyazaki. I'm not a huge fan either but there's no denying it had a major impact.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't think of any David Mitchell except the one who was a contestant on Numberwang.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

there wolf posted:

Are we doing a bad sequel/later in the series theme? I was pretty pissed off with Well of Ascention. Mistborn makes it pretty clear who the hero of book two is/should be, and yet she's spends a good chunk of it totally paralyzed by self-doubt and indecision. And then an honest to god evil twin of her love interest shows up and she can't choose between them! Turned me off Sanderson completely.

Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman was a weird sequel to A Canticle for Leibowitz. For one thing a major part of the plot was the main character's quest for a really tight pussy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Everybody hosed the pig's face.

"The Life and Times of David Cameron"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nostradamus predicted Trump. Also, yet another book about Nostradamus that ignores his delicious jam recipes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens is roughly the bit in bold, but written for laughs. It's one of the few collaborations I've read where the result feels like a successful 50:50 hybrid of each author's style. Not a bad book at all. As always with anything touched by the hand of Pratchett, Hell is a demented bureaucracy...and Heaven is also a demented bureaucracy, but far more condescending.

It's also the premise of Pratchett's Mort where hell is transformed into the bureaucratic nightmare where the Sisyphus analogy is forced to read he unhealthy and unsafety rules of pushing a boulder.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

that's why people don't like Ready Player One

That's a really white list...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

there wolf posted:

Twilight may be a pretty unoriginal romance story, but it's not a pure-stream regurgitation of girl-culture nostalgia in the least. That poo poo has yet to really escape the fanfiction ghetto.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

In my experience, the main difference between black and white nerds is that black nerds like Dragon Ball Z more.

Black nerds makes better music:

Also, the Matrix sequels are at least as bad as Crystal Skull and yet they are parts of the "holy trilogies".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, just have a drat fantasy setting where they also invented computers and guns if you want them that badly. Or just do Fallout.

Though there's a fun loophole usually used in anime where it's set on another planet that happens to be in a Wild West stage of incomplete/aborted colonisation so you can have wildly varying culture and tech levels without having to have a contrived post-apocalypse scenario. (though it doesn't always stop them anyway)

There's Hard to be a God where humanity discovers a planet resembles ours but is stuck in medieval times. So anthropologists travels to the planet to investigate why the civilization on that planet doesn't advance while trying not to gently caress it up with their advanced technology they fail miserably.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Farts and poo is basically a genre of children's literature.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I was just catching up on the funny pictures thread when I ran into this

EDIT: And I'm sure I was also near his gross nerd poetry but I ain't reading that to make sure it's that so good luck finding it

He listened to everything, except for rap.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Also he has Indiana Jones having more movies after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but none of the other "holy trilogies", which ends up being seriously lol after Fury Road revolutionized action films.

And there was apparently no more Star Wars movies after the prequels.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I got the Joe Haldeman "Peace and War" trilogy for my birthday. The first book, "The Forever War", is a sci-fi story about the weirdness of waging war across thousands of light-years against an alien enemy you cannot understand. Due to relativistic fuckery, a single battle that takes a few hours for the participants takes decades or centuries back on earth. The protagonist participates in a total of three battles. Every time he comes home the society he encounters is more and more alien. When the war ends he's the oldest human being in the universe, and has been at war for a thousand years.
There's some strange things in the book, like how it starts out in 1990 with space gates and power armour

In one of the editions Halderman wrote in the foreword that he could change the year but he specifically wrote the book as a comment on the Vietnam war so the he urges the readers to pretend that it's an alternate version of nineties instead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You could probably get a decent series of books about what's-his-face the doctor vampire living through the centuries and getting called in to solve crimes or some poo poo.

Dr. Acula?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dabir posted:

The old, really good ugly ones.

My favorite fact about those covers is that Kidby didn't get the "four-eyes" joke, so he just drew Twoflower with four eyes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The joke goes that Tolkein invented fantasy languages and then wrote novels for them to exist in.

That's not a joke, that's exactly what happened:

Tolkien posted:

The invention of languages is the foundation. The 'stories' were made rather to provide a world for the languages than the reverse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I actually managed to track down a copy with that cover.

Serephina posted:

The second option, clearly! Gave us such classics as Discworld's Josh Kirby covers, and this.

Famously Kirby misunderstood a joke in the books. Two Flowers is a character in the books that wear glasses, so he was called four-eyes. On the cover of the books he's in Kirby depicted him as having literally four eyes:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hellequin posted:

Philip K. Dick.

I think it's really weird how Blade Runner is so poetic while Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is so plain.