Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The guys from Rifftrax already did a Let's Read of Ready Player One. It's astonishing that this book got good reviews from mainstream critics considering how bad it is.

http://372pages.com/episode-0-a-book-were-probably-going-to-hate

The movie is getting good reviews, probably because Spielberg knows how to inject tension into a scene and excised the horrible inner monologue of the protagonist talking about how much media he has literally memorized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you for that link. I love there’s entire podcast that revolves around throwing shade at the written work of Cline. It looks like they’ve finished the Let’s Read of RPO and moved on to Armada.

They've coined the term "Cline-ian" to describe particularly dumb sentences of a certain type and passages where tension is first set up and then dispelled before it gets the chance to have any effect on the narrative.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Honestly the same thing happens when I think about Twilight and it’s interesting to contrast the two books in terms of being pure power fantasies. So much potential just left rotting on the floor for the sake of individual wank. Although the more I hear about RPO the more I feel it’s on a Handbook for Mortals level.

I’m very grateful to whoever posted “372 Pages” first (unsure if it was here or another thread) but it’s a fun listen. I think it’s notable they remark on the more egregious offenses in the story (Aech’s identity, the use of “autistic,” the behavior toward Art3mis) despite not being a social justice-oriented review. I’ve genuinely had a tough time with the real-or-fanfic segments!

They're reading Armada now and have pointed out a new bit of awful Cline-ian writing.

The "I realized I was" which makes it seem like the character isn't in control of his body at any point. This goes along with the "I was already doing...". So he'll tell you what he should be doing, then say he was already doing that thing.

God it's awful.

He also has a penchant for "It would come to be known as..."

PJOmega posted:

It's really bad, but no it isn't H4M tier. You are right to point out similarities to Twilight, and that's actually why I harp on RPO in my social circle so heavily. It's still perfectly acceptable in polite company to rip on Twilight and 50 Shades and even people who enjoyed them won't rise to defend them. Fans of RPO however will get outraged at any criticism. And people will try to back it down. The only real dividing line is that it's seen as socially acceptable to rip on women aimed reading, but it's not "fair" to attack male orientated reading. And RPO is insanely aimed at men.

Also it's a loving garbage fire of a book that reads like a first pass on that writing prompt subreddit.

This is why I hate RPO more than Twilight. I'm also not the target demographic for Twilight, whereas I am for RPO and I resent this dreck being marketed to me.

Ccs has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Mar 16, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Swedish film adaption of the first book was good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The summer that A Girl With the Dragon Tattoo English translation came out you could hardly go a day without someone talking about it, or talking about how they'd seen the Swedish film, or how they were so surprised that Sweden was such a dangerous place because the Nordic countries always seem so safe. Or about the drama surrounding the author's death and the battle over the manuscripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/toyns/status/1023041773914992642