Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Danielewski's Only Revolutions - while I loved House of Leaves, this is just unreadable:

While this review is closest to my heart, there's apparently this happening in the book:

quote:

To give an idea of the degree to which this book sucked, here's the summary of a typical scenario from each character's perspective. And as much as you may think that I'm making this up because you don't believe that something this bad could possibly have been published, let me assure you that I am not. Let me repeat - you may find this scene summary to be offensive. It is Danielewski's scene, straight out of the book, not embellished, not made up:
He says: he has a big penis, she has small breasts, he satisfied her sexually and ejaculated massive quantities of come all over her, and then he drove the car with great skill, and she got car sick.
She says: he has a small penis, she has large breasts, he performed poorly sexually and ejaculated a tiny amount of come on the ground next to her, and then she drove the car with great skill, and he got car sick.

I'm currently reading The Familiar, and while it's simply boring, it's not as crazy as the abovementioned, and it's sticking to Danielewski's gimmicks.

Another one though - Kingdoms of the Wall by Robert Silverberg - there's a village at the bottom of the mountain; every year 40 people travel from the village, trying to reach the summit. Some return, but they are either insane or stop talking. During the travel, the villagers find previous people that tried to climb the mountain, that have undergone mutations. The problems I've had with the books are - it, early on, starts to read like an RPG; throw dice to see how many of your people died in yellow river that you've stumbled upon; places where previous pilgrims have stayed have no sense - great, two of my villagers have merged together and one of them started glowing; but the biggest issue was this:

quote:

I had my first mating, for one thing, when I turned thirteen. Her name was Lilim, and as is usual she was a woman of my mother’s family, about twenty-five years old. Her face was round and rosy, her breasts were full and comforting. The lines of age were evident on her face but she seemed very beautiful to me. My mother must have told her that I was ready. At a gathering of our family she came over to me and sang the little song that a woman sings when she is choosing a man, and though I was very startled at first, and even a little frightened, I recovered quickly and sang the song that a man is supposed to make in reply.

So Lilim taught me the Changes and led me down the river of delight, and I will always think kind thoughts of her. She showed me how to bring my full maleness forth, and I reveled in the size and stiffness of it. Then in wonder I touched her body as the hot, swollen female parts emerged. She drew me to her then, and led me into that place of moisture and smoothness of which I had only dreamed up till that moment, and it was even more wonderful than I had imagined it to be. For the time that our bodies were entwined—it was only minutes, but it felt like forever—it seemed to me that I had become someone other than myself. But that is what making the Changes means: we step away from the boundaries of our daily selves and enter the new, shared self that is you-and-the-other together.

:pedo: aside - there are many sex scenes in this book and every time it's maleness, and every time it's awkward:

quote:

I understood. She had not come to me for Changes. She had a strange self-sufficiency, that woman: many Witches do. I forced myself back toward the neuter state, but it was difficult for me. My control kept breaking, my body slid again and again toward readiness. But I could tell that Thissa was in the state without breasts just now and I knew that if I touched her between the thighs I would find no aperture waiting for me. She was utterly neuter and intended to stay that way. I had no choice but to respect that. I struggled for control, and attained it, finally. We lay together calmly. Her head was against my chest, her legs were entwined with mine. She sobbed from weariness, but it was a soft, easy sobbing.

edit: I also haven't seen mentioned The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice. While I've not read the book, the reviews make it seem delightful read. And apparently it's being adapted as tv series. Yay!

canis minor has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

I got Only Revolutions for like four dollars new at a Borders and I feel like I overpaid. I've never tried reading it the "proper" way which is reading every seventh page then starting at the back and reading every fifth page or whatever absurdist way you're supposed to do it but seriously, what a mess.

It's a shame because that kind of ultra-meta-surreal storytelling is a cool idea but I've never seen it done well on the scale Only Revolutions attempted.

Only Revolutions reminds me of Tree of Codes by Jonathan Safran Foer, I don't know why though - maybe it's the randomness of words + one gimmick. Haven't read that one though as I don't really feel comfortable spending ~£150 on a book.

Seeing Bruno Schulz on Amazon reminded me of another book - Ferdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz. While the book is semi-coherent, there's a lot of... stream of conciousness inclusions. But the biggest problem of the book is the rear end. rear end is used everywhere, to quote goodreads:

quote:

The translation of this novel, as the introduction will pound into your head, attempted to maintain Gombrowicz style and nuances as best as possible. This includes using a variety of diminutives and not translating certain key phrases, including many of the Latin and french idioms that would have been intentionally left untranslated in it's native polish. This choice also gives us a great new word that you will use constantly, probably to the annoyance of others, after this novel: 'the pupa' . The pupa is a very encompassing word that most often literally means the butt. Yes, assess play a large part of this novel. There are hilarious bits of 'mommy's and aunties' peeping through holes in the fence around the playground to talk amongst each other about 'what cute little pupas, pupas, pupas our little darlings have!'. The pupa is used very freely, often times standing in for various ideas of immaturity and youth. This novel is teeming with immaturity symbolism, so keep a sharp eye out.

And to pre-answer a question "maybe he's writing about pupae?". Nope - he means rear end. Asses everywhere - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7MCrlZEQIpwC&q=pupa#v=snippet&q=pupa&f=false

There's also a scene, which stuck in my mind, about the rape (albeit non-literal) through ears:

To get it out of the way - it's not a bad book; probably I should return to it at some point (don't know if I'll will though, as it's a heavy read, and for that I simply don't have time), but having read it in high school I found it bad - the scene is absurd, the plot is hard to follow and asses jump at you from everywhere. To quote the book:

quote:

From the pupa, however, there is absolutely no escape.

edit: to clarify - he doesn't have obsession with asses, calves or mugs (other two appear as frequently). Those are symbols; taken literally though (and it's easy to take things literally when reading this book - that's my impression though from ~15 years ago) the book is grotesque.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Mar 29, 2016

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Mr Toes posted:

Good gods; Wheel of Time - I'd forgotten about that series. I think I gave up at book 8 or 9 after realising that I could not give two hoots whether or not the whole cast lived or died. They were all so irritating in their own unique ways - and half the time the plot only staggered onwards because someone suddenly decided to be ridiculously obtuse.

But you say that the guy who took over was better? Maybe I'll finish it off.

The plot in there moved so slowly - for example Bowl of Winds (in my country each book was split in two - this is one of the parts for Crown of Swords) described the events happening within 2 days through 500 pages. In the end I've not finished the series (I'm on Towers of Midnight), which I need to rectify at some point, but eh...

When I was a kid, I really liked Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison - unfortunately, however, we had only the second part of the series. Well - recently I found other parts on my brothers kindle, and I truly wish I've not. So, from this:

quote:

The Stainless Steel Rat gets married, but rapidly gets involved in something that so far has proven impossible in the galaxy - the planet Cliaand has successfully been invading other worlds. Jim is sent to infiltrate and investigate, and discovers the mysterious gray Men behind Cliaand's success, encounters a world of feisty warrior women, and becomes father of twins (James and Bolivar).

which is a very interesting approach to conquering worlds (it's economically infeasible) and a main character that is relying on, well, blowing stuff up, being unpredictable and generally coming up with most absurd plans, we get to this:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64398.The_Stainless_Steel_Rat_Joins_the_Circus posted:

Same as in one on previous reviews: fan of the Stainless Steel Rat and Death World series, felt compulsion to find another good book in the SSR series. No luck.

Weak, very weak book: worried and fatigued James DiGriz no longer acts as self sufficient, highly efficient, inventive, resourceful stainless steel rat, rather as helpless "damsel in distress" type, waiting for being helped by family.

Even the style is different: with fairly good storyline, it was made less complex, slow pacing, low tech (mobile phone, computer in the case, gas mask), polluted by "on lookout", cheap shots (with only very few real gems), no longer interesting.

General impression: sad and listless. What a pity.

:sigh:

And seeing mention of Dune reminds me of another series - Foundation:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/566429.Foundation_s_Fear posted:

Reasons I didn't like the book:
1) Foundation's Fear contains a contrived argument between sims (artificial intelligences) who represent Faith and Reason. Joan of Arc represented Faith, and Voltaire represented Reason.
2) Hari Seldon and Dors Venabili spend a significant length of time and pages on Panucopia. The recreational activity they take up is taking over chimpanzee bodies and controlling them via a form of digital mind control. The technology and this whole section seemed rather similar to the Avatar movie which came out years after the book and strikes me as being a potential source of inspiration for the movie. (Either that or "There's nothing new under the sun.") This in itself didn't wholly bother me, but they talk for pages and pages about the evolution of chimpanzees and what it may have to do with Hari's psychohistory theories.

Meanwhile, they become trapped in the chimpanzee bodies while doing the mind control and an evil man on the planet is trying to kill them.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

divabot posted:

The thing that really struck me about the Sad Puppies - and it’s something I haven’t seen anyone else note, so I’ll bother telling you - was Brad Torgerson’s lament that he could no longer tell from the cover of a science fiction novel what it was about.

No, really: a grown man, who purported to write books for money, lamented that he could no longer literally judge a book by its cover:

And I thought “you knob, you weren’t buying loving books at all in the seventies and eighties were you.” Do you know how generic the art on seventies SF paperbacks was. It might have a space station on it and actually be completely earthbound. An Asimov about bureaucratic political intrigue in a single room having spaceships shooting curiously visible energy beams at each other. (and not to mention the Asimov NON-FICTION book wih a giant killer robot on the cover. I forget which one, one of his F&SF essay collections.) Frequently, the publishers literally bought the art in separately and slapped it on any book that happened to need a cover that month. The covers never had any loving relation to the contents. They might as well have been labeled “extruded SF product”. What the gently caress are you blathering on about you insufferable gobshite.

Look at this poo poo. I want Torgerson's summary of each of those books purely from what’s right there.

The Sad Puppies’ particular backstab myth extended to this degree of just making bullshit up. And they wonder why everyone hates them.

Buahahah - I don't know if I've ever read a book where the cover would correspond to content in any way, especially given that polish covers are... unique, to the point where you can't tell what genre it is. For example:

The Ringworld Engineers by Larry Niven is about a bunch of aliens that go back to titular ring world (artificial world in shape of a ring). Yup, totally grasped the content in the cover.

The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny is a medieval fantasy; there's definitely no frogs (?) battling for control over a motherboard (?)

Foundation and Foundation and Imperium by Isaac Asimov

Sorry - there's one exception - Terry Pratchett book covers, produced by Zombie Sputnik Corporation:

In this case - Wyrd Sisters

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Deki posted:

Honestly I never thought raising steam was a bad book, just a bad Pratchett book.

And when the guy is so wracked from Alzheimer that he has to dictate the book because he cannot process text anymore, I'm willing to give him a pass for writing a merely okay book.

To me Raising Steam was too... goody good - everybody was getting the good ending, the main mechanic (I can't remember his name) always had a response for the press, and of course was going to end up with the Golden King daughter, the rail was going to be built without a problem, nobody from the main cast was going to die. It was a fairy tale - of course, being a Pratchett book this doesn't mean that much. It was still plenty enjoyable, even if it felt like it was meant for younger audience, (likewise to his Tiffany Achings books), it still upheld the quality of Pratchett's workmanship.

Regarding Xanth though - I must confess that during my youth I've read all of the books, up till Golem in the Gears, and enjoyed it. I don't remember pedophilia - I remember the bestiality though, albeit in the degree that if you didn't think about it, you wouldn't have noticed it (as, description of how Pool of Love works). I might be looking at it with nostalgia or naivete, but I'm still impressed that the translator managed to make readable a book based solely on english puns, with computer games fantasy thrown in the mix - as, a story where main hero was given a quest in the beginning of the book, he was doing these sidequests, and everything was predictable, with adventure game like solutions. I also remember that he put one of the fans of the book, a girl that's been a victim of a car accident, as a heroine in one of his books, although I think that was later on in the series. Certainly the books were... pulp

I had a look however at my home bookshelf and was reminded of a gift I've given my brother for Christmas - horror stories by Graham Masterton. My brother liked horror stories, and I didn't really know of any, and bought it upon the recommendation of the seller. Well - after my brother finished it I found that it foremost had descriptions of graphic sex: like for example a story about a master chef that is to serve this girl as a dish - so there are pages of descriptions of, as he's loving her, dishes that he can make of her vagina. The story wasn't even horrific - but it was certainly uncomfortable. Moreso, that I think was 14 at that point, and that I've given my (older) brother a raunchy book.

Also gently caress Brian Lumley - he's taken a book with great premise: a man talks to the dead, but he's not a necromancer (and dead revile them as it hurts them to be back in flesh), he can't command them, he's just a normal human that thinks he's going insane. The dead (as - ghosts) help him track down serial killers, get their things in order etc. Then he talks to MC Escher and learns how to travel through dimensions. Then loving vampires happen that introduce insane body horror - for example a human turned into toilet by a vampire. Instead of having any sort of technology everything is made of people - stretched and metamorphosed. If I remember correctly there were even horses and balloons made of people, because why not. gently caress these books.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Jul 15, 2016

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I was home for holidays and enjoyed a lot of rubbish fantasy - first, books by Paul S. Kemp from Forgotten Realms series about resurrection of Lolth. I remember this series being the best of the Forgotten Realms ones, but it's all so cringeworthy. Main characters constantly cast the most powerful spells they have, don't trust anybody and don't turn their back to anyone. This is made additionally hilarious with the entire D&D system not being translatable to polish, where bugbears and umber hulks are translated, but beholders are not (and for very good reason, as it sounds just stupid). But there are these constant moments where main heroes have these internal monologues about - oh, this [name] bring so powerful, it's not possible to defeat them, oh they are actually not that powerful, oh, they are actually very powerful, oh, they're not. Even more stupid were MtG books, though I don't remember them at all to ridicule.

The other one I read was by polish author - Andrzej Pilipiuk. I constantly had a feeling of deja vu, as if his stories were inspired by other. For example - there is this story where main character tries to find an origin of a book-box, which evoked strong comparison to Gibsons Spook Country, or the story about vampires in the arctic, similar to Dead Snow. But the infuriating thing about the stories was that they didn't lead anywhere. The main character finds a perpetuum-mobile and destroys it, nothing happens. The main character finds a mechanisms, renovates it, it turns out to be a music box, nothing happens. Main character helps students that awoke said vampires, nothing happens. There's no resolution, no reasoning behind the story. Also, one story is about salami made of special breed of donkeys, that turns out to be reimagination of Pinokio, which ends to be a tragical clash of ideas.

I hate-read his books, but my brother loves them and always recommends one when I come to visit.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Is he also the dude that wrote a short story that is a beat by beat retelling of a Silent Hill plot, down to the title being just a polish translation of Silent Hill? I feel like polish sci-fi has recently degenerated into endlessly regurgitating vidya game plots and steampunk. The entire business model of Fabryka Słów publishing house seems to be to poo poo as many of these turds out a year as humanly possible.

Sorry, doesn't ring any bells - I've only read some of his short stories though (2586 steps and this one - Liberty Bell), Jakub Wędrowycz chronicles, Cousins and parts of Deer's Eye, and at least to me his writing is insufferable. If we're talking about Fabryka Słów then Andrzej Ziemiański comes to mind with his Achaja or Toy Wars (both hilariously terrible), but I don't have any of those books near me, so I can't even quote some excerpts.

hackbunny posted:

This looks so stupid I know what to read next

To be fair he also predicted this

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The Young Woman was shaped like a Pear (Pyrus Communis). She was Exceptionally Rude. I attempted to Bond with her Socially by talking on the topic of Dance, which she indicated was a Hobby; however, her Knowledge was Limited; I suspect she was a Fake. Women are often Fake. My wife, Hotlips, is not Fake; for this I am Thankful.

Wasn't that Enhydra lutris? :raise:

edit: ah, otterguy... i'm dumb

canis minor has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Jul 31, 2016

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Why are online comics in the runner-ups for the Best Graphic Story? While I like Nodwick, why should four nerds talking about stuff win a fantasy award?

The second one I'm unfamiliar with, but when browsing it I've come down to this scene which sums up my thoughts:

I predict Oglaf winning next year

canis minor
May 4, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

People having hang ups against the books they had to read in school is so weird

There are books that are just dry. I remember that I've had to read a book for my literature class - as I'm a quick reader (if I enjoy a book I can go through it in a matter of hours), I thought to myself that I'll be able to spend a weekend on it and be done.
I've managed to crawl through 50-100 pages, because the book was so uninteresting and bland, and you basically had to remember every detail (as, what this person was wearing during the meeting with the other person and how many owlets were sitting on the windowsill, etc).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Captain Candyblood posted:

I was really disappointed when I finally read Earthsea. They're supposed to be major scifi/fantasy books and obviously le Guin is super well known, but I honestly couldn't tell why. I had 0 emotional attachment to the characters, no real investment in the story, and can barely remember the plot by now. I felt like she spent way more time talking about weird magical rules and whatever than she did actually telling a story. Not that I would call them BAD (as far as I can remember), they were just supremely uninteresting to me.

I feel that way about most older scifi-type books though. A lot of them are written in a similarly dry style and it's not for me.

I pretty much enjoyed Earthsea, especially Ged's journey to defeat the wizard in the Dry Land - how his influence is compared to a narcotic, and how he's slowly destroying the entire world, because, well, nobody wants to die. On the other hand Tehanu is terrible garbage and she should have left it as a trilogy.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Hate Fibration posted:

My absolute favorite stories that King wrote are actually his short stories that are just simple human drama. No horror.

Same here - my favourites to this day are The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Hearts in Atlantis even though there's this supernatural element with posters, it doesn't overshadow the main story, if that makes sense; it isn't even a horror story - what striked me when I've read it was the overall feeling that everything passes by, everything is ending. What else - Misery not so much, but Dolores Claiborne, yes, especially when the main "villain" of the book helped Dolores. Gerald's Game is great as well although degloving scene is a bit too much.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

I just finished The Girl on the Train and while it certainly wasn't the worst thing I've ever read, I'm gobsmacked that it was apparently the fastest-selling hardcover adult novel of all time when it was released. :psyduck: How...does that even happen?

Was it? I've listened to http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2016/11/27/069-the-girl-on-the-train/, haven't read the book (or seen ads for it), but then when I spoke with some people, the conversation would go towards "I've read this book about... well, this girl on a train" and now it makes me even curiouser and curiouser.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Jew it to it! posted:

Let me check my copy...I am still pissed I paid for this.

0 hits for Buffy. Oddly enough, 0 hits for feminist.

The closest reference to a Whedon female protagonist?

Jesus. So he made Kurt Vonnegut his favourite author exactly why? I think I'll have a read because the book sounds so absurd. On the other hand I'm risking dislocating my jaw from the amount of cringing

canis minor has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Aug 1, 2017

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I would think Chronicles of Narnia is something that's very close to Harry Potter - you've a group of kids amidst of a crisis, thrown into a magical world (that exists alongside the real one) that they are destined to save and a coming of age story.

vvv Aye, I was thinking about The Magicians as well, but the only common factor is the school of magic - The Magicians reads to me as more of urban fantasy setting, dedicated to adult readers.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Aug 24, 2017

canis minor
May 4, 2011

lifg posted:

Seveneves by Stephenson is not good. It’s barely even a book, it’s a series of technological solutions to problems, surrounded by a thin plot and thinner characters. This book might be fine if you read it expecting “The Martian 2.0.” But if you’re like me, and have heard nothing but superlatives about what Stephenson is doing to sci-fi, about his heavy tomes pushing the genre forward, then this book is a heavy let down.

Oh, I wanted to read it :( I didn't read anything by Stephenson and thought that it would be a good place to start. (Probably still will read it though)

edit: Can't decide if Gibson's Blue Ant trilogy is dryer or not than his other works - the anticlimaxes of endings made me reread Bridge and still can't decide.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Oct 23, 2017

canis minor
May 4, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

It's fine to discuss books about social issues and to some extent those issues themselves as they relate to the book but keep in mind this is a bad book thread not a thread for extended political discussion.

A bad book I read that I mean to try again is The Secret Life of Bees. We had to read it in school when I was 17 and I didn't get along with the teacher at all and I think reading a book as part of schoolwork is a surefire way to not enjoy a good book. Maybe it is just unenjoyable poo poo but I'd like to give it another try at some point. That said when I was 14 we were assigned To Kill a Mockingbird and I read that ahead of the classes and it was pretty good.

I didn't enjoy most of the books that I've read as school assignments - yet I love to read. I think it stemmed down to having to read a set of books in not enough time, with the extreme being Nad Niemnem (which is three tomes, ~400 pages, if I remember correctly, of very dry positivistic prose where people complain about their life all the time) to be read through the weekend.

The ones I did like though were The Trial by Franz Kafka and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (and I think I was 16 when we were assigned that)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Dienes posted:

Turn em' gay with dragon-facilitated, mind-controlled anal orgies.

:allears:

new thread title?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Keith Thompson doesn't belong in this thread. I'd like to read more of his stuff (especially about the necromancer with a machine womb or that kingdom where angels are machines), but afaik he does only illustrations and these synopses are just companions for his art (hopefully somebody will correct me on that)

Edit: also - this Clock of Doom reminds of Terry Prattchet's Thief of Time

canis minor has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/992291493506306048/photo/1

:boobeer: