Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Ryoshi posted:

The first books that jump to mind are the sequels to Arthur C. Clarke's subtle hard-science-fiction masterpiece Rendezvous with Rama. While RwR was a story of discovery and exploration as humanity suddenly realizes that they're not alone in the universe by way of a giant unmanned spacecraft floating through the solar system, its sequels Rama II, The Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed were increasingly ridiculous farces written mostly by awful hack Gentry Lee. In the first novel there were thoughtful discussions on the physics of BASE jumping in low-artificial-gravity environments, by the third novel a child in a teenager's body is playing with anal beads with a mafia don (who has reprogrammed a robotic version of Abraham Lincoln to mow down everyone at a nearby wedding with 1920's style Tommy guns). There's an entirely too long discussion on how best to breed the only woman for millions of miles to create a genetically diverse family, which is obviously problematic since one of the only available sperm donors is a devout Catholic. It's all sex and drama and presidential robot gangsters for hundreds and hundreds of pages and it never manages to be interesting even when one of the male leads is raped by a race of glowing sentient spiders.

This isn't even including the fact that the finale, the climactic sendoff to the thousand pages of Gentry Lee's writing, the payoff to the mystery of the builders of the cylinders and their true purpose, is literally 'God did it'. No pussyfooting around the issue, just 'God did it. Here's a video recording of the Big Bang, and of this station (where the cylinders were built and are coordinated from) popping into existence a microsecond later. Hope you enjoyed!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
For those of you who don't know Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is generally considered one of the great classics of sci-fi. The idea is that in the distant future, when earth has been forgotten for thousands of years, and humanity has grown into a galaxy-spanning empire, a mathematician named Hari Seldon develops this theory of 'psychohistory', which is sort of a large-scale economic/social/cultural statistical model of the entire human race. What he finds, though, is that his theory predicts the coming fall of the galactic empire, which will plunge the entire human race into a thirty-thousand year dark age. He figures out a plan, though, which will be able to shorten this dark age to 'only' a thousand years, and he establishes a secretive 'foundation' to influence the course of history. Asimov wrote five novels about the evolution and struggles of the foundation, and then two more prequel novels near the end of his life about Hari Seldon and the development of psychohistory. The first three are classics, the others are simply good, but I don't want to talk about them.

I want to talk about Foundation's Fear, by Gregory Benford. What you have there is pretty clearly a collection of stories and half-baked ideas that Benford was working on when he was approached to do the novel, which were unceremoniously bundled together and rushed to the printers with a big 'Foundation' sticker slapped on the front. The novel is ostensibly about Seldon continuing to develop his theory of psychohistory, but that part of the story is so tangentially related to most of what happens that I won't say a lot about it. So, there's a planet where they've been digging up old computerized sentient personality simulations of Earth-era historical figures (what?) so that they can make computer-Voltaire and computer-Joan of Arc have a public debate (what?) on whether or not robots have souls (what?). Voltaire and Joan of Arc, who are in fact the main characters of the novel, decide that they agree that robots do have souls, and then start having computer simulation sex in front of everybody watching (?????), and then escape into the planetary network of the galactic capital. There they dick around for a while and ponder their existence for three hundred pages, then they find out that there are aliens already living in the planetary computer network, who have abandoned physical form in order to live inside their Second Life accounts.

Also, at some point, Hari Seldon decides to go to another planet and Matrix his way into the mind of a genetically modified chimpanzee with a chip in its brain, so that he can try his hand at developing a simplified version of psychohistory. Also at the very end Seldon finds out that Voltaire and Joan of Arc exist, they agree to be his secretaries, and the computer aliens remote-control some toasters to prevent Seldon being killed in a political assassination. That's it.

This novel is a tragedy. It is very very bad. You know how for even really awful things, you'll still see a huge number of five star reviews? The astonishingly bad videogame Sonic 2006 has 36% five star reviews. This novel?

I feel vindicated.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My beef is that the "my sweet nerd hero owns those sociologists" part of Cryptonomicon is one of the worst things I've ever read, and I've read Dune prequels.

Also, Stephenson's insistence on exclusively referring to Japan as 'Nippon'. Also Stephenson frequently referring to women as 'females'. Also failing to give Alan Turing, a fascinating historical figure, any characterization other than 'gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy'. It is the neckbeardiest book.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

hackbunny posted:

I'm reading Stephen King's Cell. I'm at the "we only use N% of our brain" speech which I of course skipped to save myself from a cringe-related death. Does it get much worse from that point? because I had just finished kicking and shoving myself through The Dark Half (I have to make a post about that some time) and Cell seemed to start alright and free from the usual King-isms.

The great value in most of King's writing is his strongly-voiced characters, and their interactions and dialogue. Cell is all about everybody cutting themselves off from everybody around them and refusing to talk to each other. I think it's the only novel of his that I started, but didn't finish.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Pounded in the rear end by stock photo models coming to terms with their fear of their own latent homosexuality.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

muscles like this? posted:

I'm re-reading Rendezvous with Rama and while that book is good it is just reminding me of how terrible the sequel (not written by Clarke) Rama II is. You know you're in for a "good" book when the opening is a lengthy prologue to explain how a book set hundreds of years in the future and previously shown to have mankind colonizing most of the solar system is just like the late 80s. With all the hoops Gentry Lee had to jump through to change the setting you have to wonder why he even bothered in the first place and why he didn't just make an entirely new setting just with a similar premise.

Oh god yes. To quote the OP (and myself):

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Ryoshi posted:

The first books that jump to mind are the sequels to Arthur C. Clarke's subtle hard-science-fiction masterpiece Rendezvous with Rama. While RwR was a story of discovery and exploration as humanity suddenly realizes that they're not alone in the universe by way of a giant unmanned spacecraft floating through the solar system, its sequels Rama II, The Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed were increasingly ridiculous farces written mostly by awful hack Gentry Lee. In the first novel there were thoughtful discussions on the physics of BASE jumping in low-artificial-gravity environments, by the third novel a child in a teenager's body is playing with anal beads with a mafia don (who has reprogrammed a robotic version of Abraham Lincoln to mow down everyone at a nearby wedding with 1920's style Tommy guns). There's an entirely too long discussion on how best to breed the only woman for millions of miles to create a genetically diverse family, which is obviously problematic since one of the only available sperm donors is a devout Catholic. It's all sex and drama and presidential robot gangsters for hundreds and hundreds of pages and it never manages to be interesting even when one of the male leads is raped by a race of glowing sentient spiders.

This isn't even including the fact that the finale, the climactic sendoff to the thousand pages of Gentry Lee's writing, the payoff to the mystery of the builders of the cylinders and their true purpose, is literally 'God did it'. No pussyfooting around the issue, just 'God did it. Here's a video recording of the Big Bang, and of this station (where the cylinders were built and are coordinated from) popping into existence a microsecond later. Hope you enjoyed!'.

I mean, they're up there with the Star Wars prequels and the Brian Herbert/Keven Anderson Dune novels in terms of "Doesn't understand the source material in the least", plus they've got all of Gentry Lee's weird sex stuff.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
So, here's the thing with the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson prequels: they are bad. Thing is, that as time goes by, they get consistently worse. You read the first one, which is very bad, and then they keep piling on nonsensical bullshit that clearly demonstrates they didn't get what was cool about the original Dune books. I present an example:

So, in the first 'Dune', we are told that Leto's father, the elder Duke Atreides, was killed in a bullfight. This is something that says a tremendous deal about the society in which the story takes place, where not only would a major figure take place in such an event, but that there isn't any kind of advanced medical technology that could heal the wounds inflicted in such a fight. The first three Brian/Kevin prequel novels go through the backstory immediately leading up to the events of Dune, including that aforementioned bullfight, in which they reveal that it's a space bull with tentacles and acid for blood, which is loving stupid and overindulgent and completely misses the point of the original bit in the story. The Baron Harkonnen is a loving fat gross weirdo because he's a pinnacle of hedonism. He's fat because he loving loves eating food, he's a futuristic Caligula, at the pinnacle of excess. In the Brian/Herbert prequels, it's revealed that Lady Jessica implanted a gene modification virus thing in him to make him fat. That's it! Again, it's loving stupid bullshit technobabbly sci-fi that completely misses the point of the original novels.

Then, in the double-prequels, we get to hear the story of the Butlerian Jihad, the vaguely-referenced event in the original books that led to the outlawing of all thinking machines. These are such a blur that it's hard for me to even remember. The way the story gets told here is basically 'evil robots took over the world, so now we're not going to let there be robots anymore'. There's an evil robot-overmind called Omnius that's taken over all of humanity, and there are a privileged few humans who got to stick their brains in robotic bodies and become 'Cymeks'. Everybody else is downtrodden peasants. Much like the Star Wars prequels, loving everything that happened in the original books gets some nod in the Butlerian Jihad novels. The story of the swordmaster school in which Duncan Idaho was trained gets told (electro-swords for fighting robots, see above for 'loving stupid, completely misses the point'). The invention of the space-folding technology that allows rapid interstellar travel gets described, and it turns out the guy who 'invented' it just took credit for his assistant's work. This assistant later gets vaporized by a cymek, but Doctor Manhattans herself back into reality. Then she founds the Bene Gesserit order. Then she founds the Guild Navigators. Then she fucks off to nobody cares where (this will be important in a bit, unfortunately enough). Also, Omnius puts on gladitorial fights with the cymeks. I don't loving know why, other than to have descriptions of 'cool' robot battles with lasers and explosions. Also, in maybe my favorite part of the whole story, there's a whole drawn-out conversation where somebody asks the robot overmind why the robots don't just live on moons and planets with atmospheres that aren't habitable by humans, and the overmind doesn't have any good answer, basically going 'well, it's the principle of the thing!'. Poking holes in your own dumb-rear end plot doesn't make you look clever, book! Also the Harkonnens are there, and there's one of them who's a total dick for no reason, and he founds the dynasty of dickish-Harkonnens. Also, some Fremen are there, and they have a SANDWORM BATTLE, where they bonk their sandworms into each other until one of them dies. At the end, the robots all get destroyed, but manage to send a signal out into deep space, setting up the inevitable sequel. gently caress those books.

Double-gently caress the sequel. So, allegedly, according to Brian Herbert, his dad left a lock-box full of notes on what he wanted to do with Dune 7. Heretics and Chapterhouse allude to some force on the edges of the Galaxy that was driving the Honoured Matres back into the old empire, so there was a lot of speculation as to what it might be. Fuckin', it's the robots. It's the loving robots. So there. Now, at the end of Chapterhouse, the uber-Duncan Idaho who remembers all of his past clone-lives, and some other people, escape on a big ol' spaceship. In 'Hunters of Dune', it turns out that somebody has a null-capsule full of DNA samples from all the major characters of the original Dune novels! So we loving clone everybody. Paul Atreides is there, both Letos are there, the whole loving gang. Remember what I said about having to shoehorn in everything that was in the originals? Meanwhile, the villains of the story (who at the get-go seem to be the face-morphing people that the Tleilaxu keep cloning) have their own one of these null-capsules, so they clone their own Baron Harkonnen, and make themselves an Evil Paul Atreides, that the Baron will raise up to be super evil. Meanwhile, you know how the Tleilaxu have been trying to make synthetic spice for 5000 years, and never succeeded? Somebody gets the idea to, instead of cloning the spice, clone the sandworms. Apparently, nobody ever ever thought of this. And it works! They genetically engineer sandworms that actually like water, call them seaworms, and set them to work on some planet. There they make [b]ultra-spice[/i], which is like regular spice but a billion times more potent! gently caress you Kevin Anderson and/or Brian Herbert. So, the face-dancers spring their plan, but the plan fails because actually they've been played by the actual villains, the robots! The stupid robots are back from the edges of the galaxy with a gigantic fleet. How did they manage to turn a radio signal into an actual physical robotic device? Who the gently caress cares! Then the lady from the prequels who invented the warp drive and the Bene Gesserit and the guild navigators shows up and blips all the robots out of existence. That's it. I cannot think of another example in all of fiction of a better example of a Deus Ex Machina. Oh, then to wrap everything up in a nice bow, the evil Paul Atreides eats some of the ultra-spice, so he can become God or whatever, and he gets trapped in a vision of the universe, starting at the big bang, evolving to the present second, and then starting over. So he takes a bunch of drugs and goes catatonic, basically. That's it. That's your story. Night night.

I understand there are actually a couple more BH/KJA books, but I just can't. I can't.

Wikipedia posted:

Heroes of Dune is a planned tetralogy of novels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson set in the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. The potential series was initially referred to as Paul of Dune by the authors as early as 2004.[23][24] These novels were intended to "fill in the story" between Frank Herbert's early Dune novels.[23]

The books in the series are:

Paul of Dune (2008)
The Winds of Dune (2009)

Half of the story of Paul of Dune takes place between Frank Herbert's Dune (1965) and Dune Messiah (1969) as Paul’s Jihad rages, Shaddam seeks to regain his throne and Princess Irulan accepts the "task of building the legend of Muad'Dib." She in turn chronicles Paul's early years (between the 2001 Brian Herbert/Anderson prequel Dune: House Corrino and Dune), which feature "his friendship with Duncan and Gurney and Duke Leto's War of Assassins against Grumman."[24][25][26][27] The Winds of Dune (originally announced as Jessica of Dune)[28][29] chronicles events between Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah (1969) and Children of Dune (1976).[30] The final two novels in the series were to be called The Throne of Dune[30] (formerly Irulan of Dune)[28][29] and Leto of Dune (perhaps The Golden Path of Dune).[30] However, in a July 2010 blog post Anderson announced that these novels had been postponed due to plans by Herbert and Anderson to publish a trilogy (later known as Great Schools of Dune) about "the formation of the Bene Gesserit, the Mentats, the Suk Doctors, the Spacing Guild and the Navigators, as well as the solidifying of the Corrino imperium."[31]

Plot

In Paul of Dune, Paul Atreides's childhood lessons in the political intrigues of the empire are juxtaposed with his current struggle to secure his control over it. His Fremen armies are spread across the universe in attempt to bring rebel worlds to heel, and Paul avoids one assassination attempt only to nearly die in another.[32] In The Winds of Dune, Paul's disappearance into the desert has left a power vacuum, and his closest advisors struggle to determine what path his empire should take.[33]

Great Schools of Dune is a prequel trilogy of novels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, set in Frank Herbert's Dune universe. A sequel to the Legends of Dune trilogy (2002-2004), the series takes place nearly a century after the events of Brian Herbert and Anderson's Dune: The Battle of Corrin (2004), in which the Army of Humanity finally defeats the thinking machine armies of Omnius. Now, the fledgling Bene Gesserit, Mentat and Suk Schools, as well as the Spacing Guild, are threatened by the independent anti-technology forces gaining power in the aftermath of the Butlerian Jihad.[2][35][36] The Great Schools of Dune trilogy, first discussed by Anderson in a 2009 interview and later named by him in a 2010 blog post, chronicles the early years of these organizations, which figure prominently in the original Dune novels.[31][36][37][38][39][40] Though the third and final novel was originally identified by Anderson as The Swordmasters of Dune in 2009,[37] in 2014 Brian Herbert and Anderson confirmed that its title would be Navigators of Dune.[41][42][43] On July 27, 2015, Anderson previewed the cover of Navigators of Dune on Twitter and noted its 2016 release.[44]

The books in the series are:

Sisterhood of Dune (2012)
Mentats of Dune (2014)
Navigators of Dune (2016)

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I understand reading one Dune prequel, maybe two if you can't take a hint (I gave up 20-30 pages into The Butlerian Jihad and never gave the rest a second thought). Lamprey Cannon's depth of investment in this crap just baffles me, even as "hate-reading".

Well, you have to understand, I read 'Dune' when I was in elementary school, so by the time I started picking up the prequel novels, I was in middle school. Most of the things that I mentioned, like acid-blood tentacle-bulls and robot gladiator fights, are really cool to a typical middle-schooler. I remember actually pre-ordering the last of the prequels, 'The Battle of Corrin', the year before I entered highschool, but even by that point, some of the dumber things in those books were starting to stand out to me. It wasn't until years later, I think I was home from college, that I decided to check out the sequel books, and after I started reading those, and it was *so clear* how awful they were, I had this flood of memories, and all of the embarrassing bullshit that I'd overlooked or enjoyed in the earlier books when I was 13 came back to me. I did feel it necessary finish 'Hunters' and 'Sandworms', just because it was such a hilarious MST3K-level trainwreck (and partly just to see how it ended).

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

gradenko_2000 posted:

This was me, except with the Star Wars EU.

Mammals that can suppress the force
A literal clone of Luke Skywalker
A Jedi that got so good at the force that she was able to extract poisonous nanites from Mon Mothma
A warrior-assassin race that served Darth Vader out of gratitude for keeping their planet barely alive, except the robots that were "fertilizing" the soil were actually keeping it deader than it should have been
A new superweapon that could destroy entire star systems by detonating stars, hidden inside a secret base in the middle of a cluster of black holes

All very cool to younger me, until I got older and got to the Yuuzhan Vong and went "hey, they're not even really fighting the Empire anymore, what gives?"

Worth noting: this is from a Star Wars EU novel by Kevin J. Anderson!

Also worth noting: Kevin J. Anderson looks exactly the way you'd expect he would!

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
And that isn't even mentioning the thing that's the titular 'Foundation's Fear', in that there are aliens living inside the Trantor computer network. They gave up their physical forms and uploaded themselves to their second life accounts, or something, because humans were going to bulldoze their planet. I don't think they even show up until the last fifty pages, and then they don't really *do* anything.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Stuporstar posted:

A couple cyberpunk-era authors have attempted pop music centered novels that I know of, but whether or not they're complete pieces of poo poo is up for debate. I read Norman Spinrad's Little Heroes over a decade ago, and the only thing I remember apart from him predicting computer-generated pop stars was that it was mostly a vehicle for Boomer nostalgia about the good old days of rock and roll vs. them damned kids and their MTVees. There was just enough self-aware comedy in it that I'd have to reread it to determine how bad it really is.

Then there's Bruce Stirling's Zeitgeist which focuses on the slimy manager of a barely-talented Spice Girl's troupe who are getting murdered, but then quickly ditches the whole conceit to become American Gods-lite with the shady dude being the son of some ancient myth man, a plot about corrupt politics in the Balkans, and I don't know what the gently caress. But despite it being an incredibly hard book to describe because it veered all over the place, it wasn't a complete piece of poo poo. I'm the kind of person who stops reading books I hate, and I actually finished that one without feeling totally ripped off—faint praise, I know.

My girlfriend at the time sold me on the premise of Radio Freefall by Matthew Jarpe. I'll quote the summary:

quote:

In the tradition of Robert A. Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress but with a healthy dose of cyberpunk: Radio Freefall is about a plot to take over the Earth by power-mad, sociopathic computer-geek billionaire, Walter Cheeseman. It’s up to a strange cast of rock stars and oddballs to stop him.

Aqualung, a mysterious blues musician who also has superhuman tech skills, might be the catalyst for the resistance–or he might just be the pawn of artificial intelligences.

To thwart the takeover, the orbitals and the moon colonies secede from Earth. And then something like the Singularity happens, but no one is quite sure.

This is a novel of cyberpunk and rock and roll, of technology, artificial intelligence, and wild riffs off of Heinlein all mixed into an explosive debut.

Basically, there's a super AI hiding inside the internet, and the guitarist known as Aqualung stops the villain by telling him the password that he says will allow him to control the AI and thereby take over the world, except that the password *actually* takes the limiters off the AI and lets it roam free. A little bit like a Rock & Roll Neuromancer, except very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

pookel posted:

I'm thinking of all the long-awaited sequels to cult classic/fan favorite books, and I can't come up with a single one that wasn't terrible. Has it EVER been done well? Tehanu was awful, everyone said the new Harry Potter book was awful (I haven't read it myself) ...

Doctor Sleep is a sequel to The Shining, 36 years after the fact, which has been received very well.