Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ryonguy posted:

Great literature means everyone is miserable while discussing important things with the most obscure symbolism possible, and if you don't get it or like it you're an uncultured swine with bad taste.

You want fries with that persecution complex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ryonguy posted:

And to think I left out the joke about lit majors working at McDonalds on purpose.

Facebook uncle spotted

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Man things go even worse for Forrest McNeil in the novelization, I see

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

EmmyOk posted:

Oh yeah that's the good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkUqbkN8cPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0iiEjoDHE

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Fun fact: Theodore Sturgeon was the inspiration for Kilgore Trout before Trout started to be self-parody of Vonnegut

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zerilan posted:

What is dozerfleet?

A weird ultra-conservative probably mentally ill dude who has compiled every thought he has ever had about a TV show he'd like to see made into an exhaustive wiki

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Getsuya posted:

Highlights from the worst dregs of Japanese horror novels:

A guy gets addicted to buying girls on skewers. Opens a pizza joint to support his addiction but runs out of money. I think the twist ending is he buys one with his last bit of money and it’s a girl he knew from when they were kids.

Ogres are released from Hell and aren’t sure what to do with themselves so they just sort of derp around murduring everyone in grotesque ways. Eventually they discover sex only their bodily fluids are highly corrosive acid which leads to shenanigans.

Boys hire kappa to murder their little bro who is bullying both them and their dad. Somehow the little bro becomes a zombie and the POV switches to him as he seeks out delicious brains which will allow him to become a Real Boy again.

Edit: oh yeah and there was the one where a guy and girl discuss how horrible this new technology is that allows guys to make these order-made girlfriends who have false memories and who melt into biodegradable material when the guy gets tired of them. Surprise, the POV female character melts at the end of the conversation.

So Japanese pulp horror is a lot like British pulp horror, but grosser?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

girl pants posted:

This whole book is just poo poo a 13 year old boy would think is awesome. The main character is a Native American who is also a Marine and he can talk to wolves and a wolf kisses him on the forehead, twice. This is all the first chapter.

Man if only one native american fetishizing white guy martial artist got to live longer than he had any right to, I really would have preferred it be the Billy Jack guy

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it was Ebert said about the second movie, it's a bad guy fascist being fought by the good guy fascist.

Billy Jack would 100% punch a nazi

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
For the ally computation, above all things, encysts the life force of the individual. Here is caught and held the free feeling, the very heartbeat of life itself. A preclear is only placed in apathy by ally computations. The body can be almost dead in the presence of antagonism and still rally and fight. But it cannot fight its friends. The law of affinity has been aberrated into an entrance into the reactive engram bank. And that law, even when twisted with the murky shadows of unreason in the reactive mind, still works. It is a good law. It is too good when the auditor is trying to find and reduce engrams which are making the preclear ache with arthritis or bleed internally with stomach ulcers. Why can't he "get rid of his arthritis? Mama said, when she gracefully fell over a pig, "Oh, I can't get up! Oh, my poor, poor baby. Oh, my baby! I wonder if I hurt my poor, poor baby. Oh, I hope my baby is still alive! Please God let him live. Please God let me keep my baby. Please!" Only the God to which she prayed was the Reactive Mind, which makes one of its idiot computations on the basis of everything is equal to everything. A holder, a prayer for life, a thoroughly bruised baby's spine, Mama's sympathy, a pig grunt, a prayer to God, all these things are equal to the reactive mind and so we have a fine case of arthritis, particularly since our patient sought "survival" by marrying a girl with a voice just like Mama's sounded when he was in the womb. Ask him to get rid of his arthritis? The reactive mind says "NO!" Arthritis is a baby is a pig grunt is a prayer to God is wife's sympathy is being poor is Mama's voice and all these things are desirable. He's kept himself poor and he's kept his arthritis and he married a wife who would make a harlot25 blush and this is pro-survival: wonderful stuff, survival, when the reactive mind computes it! And in the case of the ulcers, here was baby poked full of holes (Mama is having a terrible time trying to abort him so she can pretend a miscarriage, and she uses assorted household instruments thrust into the cervix26 to do it) and some of the holes are through and through his baby's abdomen and stomach: he will live because he is surrounded by protein and has a food supply and because the sac is like one of these puncture-proof inner tubes that seals up every hole. (Nature has been smart about attempted abortion for a long, long time.) It so happens that Mama in this case was not a monologist, although most of Mama's activity on this line is a dramatization and has conversation with it; but it also so happens that Grandma lives next door and she comes over unexpectedly, shortly after the latest effort to make baby meet oblivion. Grandma may have been an attempted abortionist in her day but now she is old and highly moral and besides, this baby is not giving her any morning sickness: she therefore finds much to censure27 when she sees a bloody orangewood stick in the bathroom. Baby is still "unconscious." Grandma berates Mama: "Any daughter of mine who would do such a horrible thing should be punished by the vengeance of God (the principle of, don't do as I do, do as I say, for who gave Mama this dramatization in the first place?) and driven through the streets. Your baby has a perfect right to live: if you don't think you can take care of him, I certainly will. Now you go right on through with your pregnancy, Eloisia, and when that baby is born, if you don't want him, you bring him to me! The idea of trying to hurt that poor thing!" And so, when our bleeding ulcer case gets born, there is Grandma and there is security and safety. Grandma is here the ally (and she can become an ally in a thousand different ways, any of them based on the principle that she talks sympathetically to baby when he is out like a flounder,28 and fights Mama in his favor when he is "unconscious"), and when he grows to boyhood he can be found placing a large dependency on Grandma, much to the parental wonder (for they never did anything to little Roger, not they). And Roger will, when Grandma is dead, develop bleeding ulcers to get her back.

Whoever is a friend is to be clasped to the bosom with bonds of steel, says this great genius, the reactive mind, even though it kills the organism.

25 harlot: a prostitute.
26 cervix: a neck-shaped, anatomical structure, as the narrow outer end of the uterus.
27 censure: criticize severely.
28 out like a flounder: in a faint, unconscious. (Flounder is a slang term for the corpse of a drowned man.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Right away, I noticed their erections. Truth, I’d been looking for them, as had Waisi and Kobo’s twins, Rutvia and Makvia. All four of us poked each other and tittered. Behind us, Mother yanked on Waisi’s and the twins’ braids with her strong potter’s hands. She even yanked on my own scabby bristle, causing instant tears. We paid heed. Unwise while in the presence of so much masculinity to mock the phallus.

Yeli’s Dono still pranced beside me like one crazed.

“Lookit the thize of that one!” he bellowed. That’th a cock, hey-o!” He tugged on his own little thing beneath his dirty loincloth.

A venom cock, they’re called. I’d heard the words grunted respectfully among the pottery clan men. I’d also heard the words mentioned by women wearing a carefully blank expression cultivated to hide opinion. Understand, women do not revere the venom cock as men do. They see it for what it is: an uncontrollable reaction to an impending event, and a slightly foolish reaction at that.

Dono’s reverence was a mystery back then, made all the more mysterious by his assertions about what a venom cock could do: slay a woman! Cripple a baby! Turn pleasurers into deaf, blind, barren idiots!)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

grittyreboot posted:

PYF terrible book: That’th a cock, hey-o!

I think of this line every time I see a dick in a movie or TV show

End of Boogie Nights? That'th a cock, hey-o!

That gay efreet scene in American Gods? That'th a cock, hey-o!

Frost/Nixon? That'th a dick, hey-o! :downsrim:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

One of these things comes out every year now around Christmas, presumably because these kinds of assholes got tired of writing the same hit piece on Robin Hood.

They really hate that a book about the evils of the post-industrial revolution and the way it encouraged the development of heartlessness, cruelty, and greed on the part of those who were not made wretched and broken by the system is in the canon, and also a Christmas story to boot, so eternally popular.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

RoboRodent posted:

A bad movie rather than a bad book, but this year I watched "An All-American Christmas Carol" on Netflix. In this adaptation, Scrooge is replaced by a greedy welfare mother who has to be inspired by three ghosts to stop being a leech and get a job.

You shoulda watched An American Carol where three ghosts show up to teach Michael Moore that the iraq war is a good idea

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

AlbieQuirky posted:

Good extortion for soliciting donations from the rich. Remember there was a while where official Church doctrine was that you could buy your way out of Hell (indulgences).

You mean purgatory. There's no way out hell! :hist101:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There was a lovely old TRPG I saw once where if you had a character die and go to purgatory, there were rules for how much money your new character would have to spend in indulgences to make sure the previous one gets to heaven soon

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

AlbieQuirky posted:

It just reminds me of New Grub Street, where Harold Biffen's completely realistic novel, Mr. Bailey: Grocer, is such a total flop that he winds up committing suicide.

Not spoilering a 120-year-old book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtQNULEudss

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

You know, I’m just going to say it: “Wade Watts” is a real suspect name for Cline’s protagonist when the real Wade Watts was a black preacher and civil rights activist in Oklahoma who was friends with MLK, was Oklahoma NAACP President for a number of years, and followed a doctrine of Christian love that most famously converted a KKK leader away from racism.

We’re told in RPO Wade’s father named him that because he was a comic book fan and it sounded like a superhero’s secret identity (Deadpool wasn’t around yet and didn’t get his popular personality until the late 90s). RPO starts off in Oklahoma City. Although I don’t think Cline ever mentions Wade’s ethnicity or describes what the character looks like the actor cast is white and I’d hazard a guess most readers imagine Wade as white. I have a hard time believing the name was just pure circumstance and I’m honestly surprised no one has picked up on this, or at least in my search attempts I haven’t seen it mentioned in any reviews.

Seems reaching. Ernest Cline is an idiot, but I've seen no signs he's racist other than in kind of an ignorant fetishistic way towards the Japanese where he never really got out of viewing them the way 80s movies did.

I mean it's not like he's actually a white man named Jason Pargin who's spent his entire professional career using an Asian pseudonym

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PJOmega posted:

Because manchild nostalgia is a larger market than womanchild nostalgia.

Probably why the Jem and the Holograms movie failed

Well that and it sucked

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My only consolation is that Ender's Game remains a perfect gem untainted by any bad associations

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

13Pandora13 posted:

Another forum I'm in keeps trying to recommend Jordan Peterson and I'm getting pretty loving sick of it but they're exactly the type of assholes who would use the same argument style to endlessly needle as to why I think he's so abhorrent and I just don't have the patience anymore.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ryonguy posted:

Hmm yes explicit sex scenes are a noble and storied part of literature and not weird at all.

This Absolon gan wype his mouth ful drye;
Derk was the night as pich, or as the cole,
And at the window out she putte hir hole,
And Absolon, him fil no bet ne wers,
But with his mouth he kiste hir naked ers
Ful savourly, er he was war of this.
Abak he sterte, and thoghte it was amis,
For wel he wiste a womman hath no berd;
He felte a thing al rough and long y-herd,
And seyde, ‘fy! allas! what have I do?’

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Harry drew his guitar, Fuckslayer

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Penny Arcade guys suck and 90% of their comic is bad but I will never stop finding the this series of strips kinda funny https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/01/23/further-songs-of-sorcelation-part-four

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it was a hell of a whiplash for me, too. I'd come fresh off of Cryptonomicon, which I'd enjoyed quite a bit (despite some of the cringy STEMlordery), and figured I'd enjoy his at the time newest book just as much. But nope, there's just... barely anything in there. Keeps going round and round without much of a point.

My favorite bad bit of Cryptonomicon is when Stevenson has a STEMlord totally own a strawman social constructionist professor, in a scene I have seen in like twelve different SF books and short stories because SF authors really want to re-write some embarrassing conversation they had at a party to be Marine Todd but with scientism

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

nonathlon posted:

Depending on your definition. There's a lot of PKD early work that's rooted in an old fashioned almost 50s culture: lots of shlubby guys in suits and shrieking airheaded secretaries. Not so much misogyny as women just not featuring in any real way. I don't recall there ever being a female lead character in any of his books either.

The Transmigration of Timothy Archer has a female protagonist and I remember hearing people saying Dick wrote her better than he usually wrote woman characters.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr. Sunshine posted:

How would you characterize the Devine Comedy or Paradise Lost, if not as biblical fanfiction? gently caress, Dante even has self inserts and Mary Sues.

I feel like fanfic is a thing that very much relates to how people relate to art in the current capitalist society we live in and doesn't make sense to apply to a society where "intellectual property" would have been a contradiction in terms.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

My favorite part of this past Christmas was reading Kate Beaton's wonderful picture book The Princess and the Pony to my niece, but sure, I only have a problem with people on Twitter telling me how feminist it is to read Crown of Bones (book one of the Amassia series) instead of the Brontë sisters because I hate women and children.

Edit: The other thing is that nobody is arguing that Warhammer books need to replace The Odyssey in school curricula.

I mostly agree with this post, but I had a friend in high school who insisted they should teach the Drizzt books.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh my god Dickens is the most transparently paid-by-the-word author ever.

You know I started reading David Copperfield during this pandemic and in conclusion: gently caress both of you Dickens owns

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Gonna do a hot take here and say that Douglas Adams was only good when he stuck to the script of the radio play. The last half of "Life, the Universe and Everything" is just nonsensical, "So long" has like two jokes in the entire book, and "Mostly Harmless" is just miserable.
Dirk Gently isn't very good either, and the Netflix series is superior to the books.

My theory has always been he started getting bad around the time he befriended Richard Dawkins.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

nishi koichi posted:

this is incredibly depressing to hear, because i’m the patient tutor-type to my friends, and everyone should have that. i sincerely love teaching people. i’m sorry that happened to you

getting back to books, i recently learned of “chrome” by george nader (actor guy), and i’m interested in it as a piece of gay sf history, but i’ve heard it’s pretty dreadful

The guy who wrote this was in The Robot Monster.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, D&D was cribbed whole from Tolkein and the like and people cribbing from D&D didn't stop others from cribbing from Tolkein and his imitators instead.

It was more cribbed from Leiber and Vance. Gygax hated Tolkien and only included elves and dwarves under duress, because his players made him.

Tom Bombadil was his favorite character for the extremely dumb reason that he could beat up Sauron

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tunicate posted:

How about True Story?

You mean by Lucian?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

None of those are isekai because they aren't naked power fantasies in which the other world exists to be exploited by the protagonist.

John Carter of Mars and Gor might count then

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Hi thread.

So like a lot of folk I'm going through a lot right now, but what really peps me up and keeps me keeping on is reading about terrible fiction drama. I've smashed through the John Ringo Let's Read, I've watched the Lindsay Ellis Omegaverse videos. I need more. Any recommendations would be hugely valued.

Thanks thread.

Thread.

There's a podcast I like called Expounded Universe where the two hosts read through Star Wars EU books(and one Star Trek/X-Men crossover novel, and one Supernatural book). It's not all total poo poo but a lot of it is more than bad enough to scratch a "making fun of bad books" itch. The first season in particular is great for giving us Xizor, the worst best character ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Djeser posted:

I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who'd suggest Lucian of Samosata's True History as 'classic science fiction. It's classical...

I really wanna see an animator tackle his account of a battle in space. Wanna see the people riding on insects and vultures and all the ground troops fighting on webs spun between stars by giant spiders.