Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

"Christopher Paolini discovers furries"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh god, that's something I'd managed to forget about. What a ride.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about.

Dark Lady Celebrian, who Surreptitious Muffin was talking about, is a whole different kettle of insane fish.

Edit: Or DLC may possibly be a third unrelated insane person.

cptn_dr has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Aug 28, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Is that a sequel to The Day My Butt Went Psycho?

I remember that being way weirder than I expected.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Dirk Souls is a Clive Cussler book, right?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Say what you will about Homestuck, it's very much an experience that wouldn't work as solely a physical medium.

He says, as they prepare to do a print run of the whole comic.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I remember enjoying most of the Halo novels as a teenager. They were perfectly cromulent mil sci-fi, and not suuuuper fascist, which is a nice change.

At least, up until Karen Traviss started writing for them. Goddamn, she's terrible, even by lovely tie in novel and Star Wars EU standards.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm the urinating goblin

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Serephina posted:

As a kiwi, I'm laughing at the idea of a farmer being given a lengthy description as if he was some sort of exotic creature. Like Matt, from over in Hamilton? What's next, a lurid description of the salacious lifestyle of a retail clerk?

I mean tbh that's basically the foundation of half of classic NZ literature—farmers being sad. The other half is drowning near a bach.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Gideon's a blast. It's well written and cleverly constructed, and it's clear that Gideon dying at the end isn't "Hayes code" bullshit or whatever, for gently caress's sake. . It's the first book in a trilogy about necromancers, come on. Also Gideon and Harrow are far from the only queer characters, so it's not like it's punishing characters for having the temerity to be gay.

It's not ~~great literature~~ or whatever, but not everything has to be.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sisal Two-Step posted:

This is somewhat related, but my friend and I were chatting yesterday about Tor's new marketing push to market their books the way fanfic 'markets' itself to its audience. For example, in this review of Gideon the Ninth:

Or this tumblr marketing push for the upcoming novel Winter's Orbit.

"Slow burn" and "mutual pining" are both very popular tags on AO3.

I like a fair amount of what Tor publishes but Christ their marketing and publicity annoys the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

It's the crest for one of the necromancer houses from Gideon the Ninth - here! https://www.muddycolors.com/2020/07/the-skulls-of-gideon-the-ninth/

Mine's sixth, and I think someone is floating around with a seventh house av too

Yo (I'd have chosen 6th but you beat me to it)