Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Amanda McKittrick Ros's writing was almost like a parody of purple prose. C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien would take part in competitions to see who could read her work for the longest time without laughing.

The opening of her second novel, Delina Delaney posted:

Have you ever visited that portion of Erin's plot that offers its sympathetic soil for the minute survey and scrutinous examination of those in political power, whose decision has wisely been the means before now of converting the stern and prejudiced, and reaching the hand of slight aid to share its strength in augmenting its agricultural richness?

quote:

She tried hard to keep herself a stranger to her poor old father's slight income by the use of the finest production of steel, whose blunt edge eyed the reely covering with marked greed, and offered its sharp dart to faultless fabrics of flaxen fineness.

quote:

Speak! Irene! Wife! Woman! Do not sit in silence and allow the blood that now boils in my veins to ooze through cavities of unrestrained passion and trickle down to drench me with its crimson hue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

pentyne posted:

There was also some book written as a bio of some hardcore black female gangbanger with some excruciatingly bad lines. Think "So this ghetto ho tried to jack my rock, so I popped her in the head with a fo-fo and let the block know who ran the streets" but it turned out is was some middle-upper class white girl and when outed she tried to claim it was a true to life depiction of what the lower classes experience.
Would that be Love and Consequences: A Memoir of Hope and Survival?

These "Read about my/someone I know's totally not made up horrible life" books are all so obviously fake. They're always so cliche and stereotypical that you gotta wonder why anyone's surprised when the truth comes out.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Jul 18, 2015