Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
That reminds me, I should finally get around to putting an index on that. And maybe updating it more than once than once in a blue moon.

Speaking of Sword of Truth, it's one of those terrible books that I love because it's just so flat out batshit insane. They're entertaining as hell because Terry Goodkind operates free of any restraint from things like "making sense" or "taste." There was Naked Empire, the book that, while being about wizards, was also a hilariously thinly veiled argument for going to war in Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
drat, that's awful :smith:

To go back to a less depressing topic, a while back a well-meaning relatives got a bunch of family members Three Cups of Tea. It's about a guy setting up schools in Afghanistan, and supposedly it's a true story. I think it came out a while back that it was a bunch of crap, but what got me is the distinctive prose of somebody who is being a writer at you as hard as they possibly can. My breaking point was a line that went something like, "Mortenson sat down to take a drink of water, but he couldn't drink in enough of the scenery around him."

Edit: And now, looking at the Wikipedia page a minute too late, I just picked on a guy who committed suicide. :smith: :smith:

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Jul 17, 2015

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's been a while, and I can't remember the book, but it was the guy who was featured on Oprah's Book Club and was later found to have fabricated 95% of his life. The entire thing reeks of stdh.txt yet for some reason it was a big deal for a year or so.

James Frey and A Million Little Pieces? I remember that. Oprah was pissed.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

There's a 70 page sex scene in the second book. Kvothe (the protagonist, and really obviously an idealised version of the author) stumbles into the realm of the queen of the sex faeries, who is so good at sex that it drives men insane. At one point, in a reflecting pool, Kvothe sees a vision of the girl he likes. She's being beaten by her boyfriend, who is a MEAN JOCK. Kvothe basically goes "bitch deserved it for not dating me I'm such a nice guy" then goes back to sticking it in the queen of the sex fairies. He spends 1000 years in her sexy realm having awesome sex with her, then she says "oh my god you're so good! You're the best at sex ever, Kvothe!" and while she's passed out from gettin' hosed good, he escapes the fae realm.

After that, he goes north to the realm of the sex samurai, who teach him the art of war and also free love.

He's like 15.

What really drives me crazy about the sex fairy is that she is in fact a monster who rapes people braindead. Everybody (except Kvothe, because he's special) who goes off with her comes back a drooling mess forever, and when she uses her sex magic on him, it's explicitly compared to a time when he was living on the streets and some older kids tried to assault him. Then he does some kind of magic thing and she becomes a harmless pixie dream girl. He doesn't do anything to stop her from preying on anybody else because if there wasn't a fairy around to magically sexually assault and mentally break people, the world would be less special.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Before they get captured there's also a delightful subplot where they're talking about having to repopulate the human race (because they thought they were alone) and the daughter mentions that she would be more than happy to sex up her father.

Seriously, what the hell was with Heinlein and incest?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

He was definitely big into the hippy dippy version of "free love" where everyone should just have sex with everyone else.

I remember a part in Stranger in a Strange Land that was all about their free love religion where you just follow your heart and get down with whoever you please, it's a healthy and beautiful thing, anything goes, be free! Oh, don't be gay, though. Gross.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

lenoon posted:

Don't Jubal and Valentine get it on in SiaSL? I feel like Valentine at least doesn't make any distinction between homosexual and heterosexual sex.

I'd think I would remember that, but then again, it's been long enough that all I really remember now is the polyamorous cult, a digression about a part in Gulliver's Travels where guys hit other guys on the ear with bladders to make them start listening to things, some cannibalism, and a part where Valentine is out being a magician with the girlfriend, and he keeps making her clothes vanish with Mars-magic, which struck me as a real waste of wardrobe. And the part early on where all Jubal's secretaries line up so Valentine can kiss then all in turn, and he asks about kissing guys too, and they say nah, don't do that, it's weird.

Rangpur posted:

In the opening pages, we are informed that the FBI assigns murderers a 'level' between 1 and 25 based on their level of sadistic depravity.

Man. Once you get up to that many levels, you'd have to start getting really, really specific.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

There are less erotic words than "knickers," but not many.

quote:

All the people of Bear City at least while they were in the city wore only the scantiest of clothing; small shorts, mini skirts and leggings.

Wait, does that mean Aristotle was wearing that too?

My favorite part is that there are more words devoted to the fact that her underwear is biodegradable than to the actual sex.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

[SPOILERS]

Endymion/The Rise Of Endymion by Dan Simmons. I loved the Hyperion books, so I thought these would be more of the same. Nope Just about 1,200 pages of a guy protecting Girl Jesus from the evil Space Catholic empire while being infuriatingly vague about her philosophy that is destined to unite humanity. When you finally read her sermon on the mount, you discover that her earth shattering lesson is "love each other."

I had actually forgotten that part, because the main thing I remembered her talking about was the stuff about the TechnoCore having a lot more different factions than anybody thought. So her big sermon that has been lead up to through the whole book, where she's finally going to come out and say the momentous, universe-changing stuff she was born to say, turned out to be about the technicalities of robot politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he also wrote a few Wild Cards stories.

At least one. It was about a joker who was a blob or tentacle monster of some sort. It lurked in subway cars and used its psychic power to transform women into similar blob-monsters so it could rape them.

Oohhhh.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there still a lot of popular sci-fi books with weird sex fantasies in a post-racial and post-gender Hugos

Kij Johnson won a Nebula and was Hugo shortlisted for Spar, a story about a woman stuck in a tiny escape pod with a blob alien she is constantly having sex with. Dialogue includes, "I loving hate you. I hate loving you."