Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I liked the Scrooge McDuck ones.

hear hear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

U.T. Raptor posted:

Crichton's books are mostly pretty terrible aside from Jurassic Park and maybe Congo (all of them are basically "Michael Crichton learned about a thing, here's a novel about his opinion on it"), and got worse over time. And then you get weirdly petty things like him depicting a real-life critic as a small-dicked pedophile in one of his last books.

This but unironically. It's basically generic grimdark nihilism written by a creepy old man.

was it crichton who made one of his critics a pedohile in his novel

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Did you even read the post you were replying to.

lol sorry, i've been 24 hours awake

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
maybe the worst book i've ever read was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_the_Sea

every woman with lines gets raped, the protagonist is a mary sue, when the protagonist sees some medieval thing the author drop a wikipedia article about it and the book is full of historical inaccuracies

it's not so bad that's it's good, it's just very bad

i have no idea why italians and spaniards have given it some awards, maybe they are just so corrupted

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Anne McCaffrey who wrote The Dragoriders of Pern also supported the notion that men turn gay if you rape them.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Okay, so if I just read the part between those 300 pages, I should be good, right?

apart from this post, you shouldn't ever listen for goons' opinions

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ZakAce posted:

I hate all that Sad / Rabid Puppy bullshit. Stupid right-wingers stinking up my nerd books. People like them took a dump on video games, what else are they going to ruin?

The thing is, science fiction readers aren't averse to voting for right-wing authors, as long as the work is good. Look at Orson Scott Card and Dan Simmons. Gene Wolfe is a Catholic like John C. Wright*, and yet people like his works, because he can actually write.

* John C. Wright is another Puppy author. I'd dislike him for that, but he also verbally dumped on Terry Pratchett (RIP), so gently caress him.

Orson Scott Card good?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

He was definitely big into the hippy dippy version of "free love" where everyone should just have sex with everyone else.

yeah, it's probably this

eg. many of the green party "free love" hippies have been outed as pedophiles in germany

well maybe "outed" is the wrong word, they didn't even try to hide it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A human heart posted:

You're missing out on Gravity's Rainbow.

and quran and bible etc.

also tviv and adtrw (well you don't miss much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Darkhold posted:

You're doing it a disservice. Rat King is excellent it's a horrific look into some of the worst camps in the Pacific theatre and the brutality of life there. Since Clavell lived it you can ignore the parts that are his sloppy love of capitalism and the parts of the story you don't like and just feel the rest of the world.

Rest of the Asian saga are hit and miss. Shogun is the best of the lot. Gai-Jin is so horrible you have to wonder what what going on there. Highlights include a rapist becoming obsessed with his victim. Her luring him in for a second rape and getting him killed when after the rape she screams for help. This takes place after the abortion of the first rape-baby...yeah.

King Rat is very good, but then again I'm a big camp novels fan. I liked Tai Pan too, haven't read other stuff from him, but Shogun is on my reading list.