Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I read it seriously until it quoted Warhammer 40k and I went "Christ". Now I can look back on the whole thing and say "Christ".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

A Song of Ice and Fire. :smug:

That's a series of books. :smug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of the Louvre, I read Da Vinci Code as a teenager. Even if I was intrigued by the (totally dumb, in retrospect) ideas behind it, ultimately it's the definition of a hack-job. It's the book version of a dumb person pretending to be intellectual. Brown is a very self-indulgent author who tries to wow the audience with facts and his impressions of a cultured person.

Angels and Demons was the same. I distinctly remember the bit where Robert Langdon had an aside about his father and how he bought him a beautiful gift after Mom Langdon died and Daddy never appreciated it and he took it back. It was the clumsiest attempt to shoehorn sentimentalism into it. Oh, and he was saved from suffocation because of his Mickey Mouse watch? Did you know Mickey Mouse is Topolino in Italian? I bet you didn't!

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Aug 16, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Weatherman posted:

I've only read one worse book, and that was something I picked up from a "take a book, leave a book" tray in a caravan park somewhere in New South Wales

For a couple of months, I saw this beauty at one of these trays:

'Machiavelli Covenant' plot summary posted:

For five hundred years a despotic order of the supremely rich and powerful has kept a little known manuscript by the political thinker Niccolo Machiavelli hidden away under heavy guard: THE COVENANT, a terrifying blueprint for the gaining and keeping of true political power. Bonded by complicity in ritual murder and dedicated to a singular vision of global domination, the group, guided by Machiavelli's document, has prospered far beyond any dreams of power and avarice.
In Washington, D.C., former LAPD detective Nicholas Marten comes out of hiding when he learns his former girlfriend, her child and husband, a U.S. congressman, have been mysteriously murdered. Marten discovers her husband had just uncovered a top-secret and illegal bioweapons program, and when the feds fail to investigate, Marten resolves to go after the killers himself.
Meanwhile, on his way to a NATO summit in Warsaw, President John Henry Harris is confronted by a secret cabal inside his own White House who demand he authorize the assassinations of the Chancellor of Germany and the President of France at the NATO meeting. He angrily refuses, knowing full well that in doing so he has put his own life and the fate of the country in jeopardy.
Fleeing for his life, Harris joins forces with Marten and the beautiful but enigmatic French photo-journalist Demi Picard. Together they uncover the truth about the most devastating and powerful group the world has ever known. Swept from Washington to Paris, from Berlin to Malta, Madrid to Barcelona they flee a ruthless circle of the president's here-to-fore most trusted advisors, military leaders and transnational corporate chieftains all of whom want them dead. Out manned, outnumbered and outgunned, these three stand alone against the age-old secrets of THE COVENANT.

It's like a subtle but absurd parody of a Dan Brown novel. But it seems to take itself seriously. "A terrifying blueprint for the gaining and keeping of true political power," "Nicholas Marten," "Beautiful but enigmatic," "President John Henry Harris". Even the summary is horrible, it feels like the plot switches twice in the middle of it. Now that's bad.

I wanted to pick it up and read, but I dared not. It has since disappeared.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Mar 23, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

trickybiscuits posted:

I opened The Da Vinci Code and read about half a paragraph of somebody lecturing somebody else about history. Forget it; I get lectured enough by idiots in real life.

Oh yes, I think the books includes not one, but two flashbacks that are just renowned symbologist Robert Langdon lecturing. LIterally, lecturing. One of them is in prison as part of some program, because that's wacky!

quote:

Thrillers about the Cathars and/or Templar knights are enjoyable garbage, though.

I liked the Scrooge McDuck ones.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That bitch is the reason why Paul Kearney's W40K book Dark Hunters: Umbra Sumnus had to be pulped just before it could hit shelves, because "Dark Hunters" is such a distinct name that no two books could share the same two words in the title. Paul Kearney is one of my favourite authors for writing The Monarchies of God and The Macht but he just can't catch a break :smith:

Holy poo poo you horrible nerd.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing has warmed the cockles of my heart quite like the moment I opened the TVIV thread after the last finale and discovered that the show-watchers had realized that the show multimedia franchise was terrible. :unsmith:

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Jul 20, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
John Kessel has a much more magnificent and relevant takedown of Ender's Game that I've already linked: Creating the Innocent Killer. If you ever liked the book, reading this will make you a better person (I'm speaking from experience).

John Kessel posted:

The abused child, when grown and given the power to act out his own suppressed rage, is unable to identify with the objects of his rage. In extreme cases, as Miller says about convicted child abusers,“Compulsively and without qualms, they inflicted the same suffering on [others] as they had been subjected to themselves.” (21) Yet to the abuser it still feels as if he is being abused, as if the sacrifice is his, and the effects of his actions on others take a secondary place to the emotions he feels himself.

This, I fear, is the appeal of Ender’s Game: it models this scenario precisely and absolves the child of any doubt that his actions in response to such treatment are questionable. It offers revenge without guilt. If you ever as a child felt unloved, if you ever feared that at some level you might deserve any abuse you suffered, Ender’s story tells you that you do not. In your soul, you are good. You are specially gifted, and better than anyone else. Your mistreatment is the evidence of your gifts. You are morally superior. Your turn will come, and then you may severely punish others, yet remain blameless. You are the hero.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Do any of these "Ender = Hitler :hitler:" criticism account for the fact that Ender doesn't in fact feel like the buggers deserved what they got, suffers intense guilt, and makes sure that he is vilified by everyone else for what he's done? As someone who has read several Card books I'm 100% able to cope with the idea that he is a terrible person (he is), I'm just curious.

Ender is Hitler-as-Christ.

John Kessel posted:

Thus, Ender’s taking on guilt for the extermination of the buggers at the end of Ender’s Game, and in Speaker for the Dead, is in no way a repudiation of his earlier violence, which is still viewed as justified, but rather a demonstration of the “magnitude of spirit” Graff praised him for earlier. Ender exterminates an alien race, gets credit for saving the human race, gets credit for feeling bad about it, and gets credit for expiating sins which he did not commit. First he sacrifices himself emotionally in order to save the human race physically, and then after the buggers are dead he sacrifices himself morally so that others may feel themselves innocent. History records him as a monster. In reality, the monster is a savior.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's basically children's rhymes. Not poetry for children, but poetry by children. The flippancy is the same.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I know that! It's the classic short story Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote:

Jorge Luis Broges posted:

He did not want to compose another Quixote —which is easy— but the Quixote itself. Needless to say, he never contemplated a mechanical transcription of the original; he did not propose to copy it. His admirable intention was to produce a few pages which would coincide—word for word and line for line—with those of Miguel de Cervantes.

[...]

"It is a revelation to compare Menard’s Don Quixote with Cervantes’. The latter, for example, wrote (part one, chapter nine):

...truth, whose mother is history, rival of time, depository of deeds, witness of the past, exemplar and adviser to the present, and the future’s counselor.

Written in the seventeenth century, written by the “lay genius” Cervantes, this enumeration is a mere rhetorical praise of history. Menard, on the other hand, writes:

...truth, whose mother is history, rival of time, depository of deeds, witness of the past, exemplar and adviser to the present, and the future’s counselor.

History, the mother of truth: the idea is astounding. Menard, a contemporary of William James, does not define history as an inquiry into reality but as its origin. Historical truth, for him, is not what has happened; it is what we judge to have happened. The final phrases—exemplar and adviser to the present, and the future’s counselor —are brazenly pragmatic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I might catch some flak for this, but I could not stand Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It feels like it desperately needs an editor to clean up all the twee prose tics and it also just needs to get to the loving point. There's only so much "rich people attend parties with other rich people who they do not like but are icily polite to" I can take before I give up.

InediblePenguin posted:

I love Jane Austen and Patrick O'Brian but Strange & Norrel was loving poo poo and this is just an excuse. It's possible to mimic that style without being a lead brick of lovely prose.

Amazing, people with absolutely No Taste.

But seriously, I can see why the length can be a turn-off. What annoyed me was the anti-climactic last 100 pages.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lord funk posted:

What? If it weren't for the last 100 pages I might have written it off. I absolutely love the culmination of characters and events.

My wife and I watched the series, then she read the book. I think the book is more accessible after seeing the series.

Don't mistake, it was still good, just not satisfying enough.

Jerome Agricola posted:

I don't know how to make that ironicat thing.

But anyway, this is a really lovely way to conduct yourself in these sort of threads. It's not conversation or even arguing, just trying to score some imaginary points.

It was a joke, dude. Which is why it's immediately followed by "But seriously..."

But seriously, I managed it in like middle school, you scrubs better up your game.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Nov 2, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Posting about EU material is cheating, it's all terrible.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Tell that to the people who write VNs

E: To contribute to the thread, R. A. Salvatore's work is this for me- he's one of my favourite authors because his fight scenes are some of the best in the business and his better books are basically a series of excuses to get to those fight scenes. Every fight is described such that you know where everyone is, what they're doing, and why they're doing it, with a brisk style that I just love. Unfortunately, there's the rest of the books, and those sections always have the feeling of being things that the author really, really doesn't want to write, but he doesn't know how to get out of writing them.

I have to give a honorable mention to the translation of one of the Drizz't books I read as a kid. I assume that the word "evil" was translated as "mean".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

2011 called, they want their goon hate target back.

What is wrong with completely justified contempt?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think the first one started out as a sincere Tropes thread :lol:

e: Like I can understand that mock threads go insane

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Mar 3, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Royal bastard is trained as royal assassin in fantasyland, and is bedevilled by two cartoon villains. Characters are called Shrewd, Verity, Patience, and the like. Hobb wants to write about an everyman teenager who just happens to be a ruthless trained killer. How do you reconcile writing about a teenager who's mostly normal with also writing about a profession that requires ruthlessness and extreme control? You don't. So Hobb hems and haws around the actual business of assassination. The main character recounts stuff like "this noble was a abusive rear end in a top hat, I'm glad I used extra poison on him" instead of something dramatic like a scene of actually loving assassinating someone.

The worst part is that the story is still somehow compelling, so I can't just call it mediocre. It's a failure thats worse for its strengths.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Mar 3, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You forgot the homoerotic tension with every single other male character

This sounds like a redeeming feature though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well, it was kind of funny, but it included family members and particularly sexy horses iirc

This is sounding better by the second.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Gotcha, i already covered Da Vinci Code :smug:

Seriously, Brown includes two actual lectures as flashbacks in a thriller. They're both on the level of clickbait.

e: and a bit of crossposting for Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana. It's about a fantasy version of Italy divided between two foreign conquerors, and the rebels that try to overthrow them. Here is an excerpt:

Guy Gavriel Kay posted:

Nothing had come to pass as he’d expected. There was only one single element left of his original design for the evening. One thing that might yet offer a kind of pleasure, that might redeem a little of what had gone so desperately awry.

He turned, slowly, [...] at the lover of boys. He dragged his mouth upwards into a smile, unaware of how hideous he looked.

‘Bring him,’ he said thickly to his soldiers. ‘Bind him and bring him. There are things we can do with this one before we allow him to die. Things appropriate to what he was.’

"Imma torture some homosexuals" the ugly villain said.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Mar 3, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IconicIronic posted:

Probably gonna get poo poo for this, but I loving despise Faust, whatever format. It's often used as a major inspiration for anything about ambition and deals for power, but it's clearly about a guy who actually doesn't have any ambition and completely squanders his power. In all formats, he literally does nothing. I agree with Hannibal here, I root for Mephistopheles for having to deal with such a poo poo-heel for 24+ years, and have nothing but contempt for Faust. Fucker deserves to suffer for all eternity.

Books like Eragon/Twilight/50 Shades are godawful, but Faust, in all formats, is the only literature I flat out despise.

Congratulations, you have successfully deciphered the myth of Faust. You have gotten Kit Marlowe's Doctor Faustus. It is about a squandered life and how Christian virtue is greater than earthly vanities.

What you've missed, of course, that this what makes the story good and relevant. Might I recommend Todd MacFarlane's Spawn instead?

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Mar 23, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IconicIronic posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't held up as a story of ambition and power. I agree with you that it is exactly about squandering life, but all the works that have been inspired by it, including the whole concept of a 'Faustian Bargain', don't touch on that. It's true that my distaste for it comes from study, where it's clear an alarming number of people hold it as a perfect story of ambition and power.

I guess it would be more accurate to say I only despise the character of Faust, and just find the story disappointing.

It is a perfect story about ambition and power (and how it's vanity, vanity of vanities). You should judge it by the actual text rather than what you thought it was supposed to be.

There are a lot of other stories about ambitious antiheroes where their climb to power is the main appeal. Like Richard III.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

There are some books that make you realize that you will never be a writer, because you cannot compete with them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

This isn't 100% on topic but it is related, and it was too good not to share:

When Dickens met Dostoevsky by Eric Naiman.

I didn't know Jorge Luis Borges was still writing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
By default the worst book I've read lately is an art book called Pre-Raphaelites by K.E. Sullivan (in the obscure Discovering Art series). It's the worst because the author has also written the ominously-titled Alternate Remedies (impossible to track down), so I feel queasy with this innocuous book.

e: This was actually be supposed to go in Book Barn but eh

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Jul 24, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He writes well, the words flow well.

The protaginist saves a woman from harassment:

quote:

Ambrose stiffened and his arm slid off the back of the chair to fall at his side. His expression was pure venom. “When you’re older, E’lir, you’ll understand that what a man and a woman do together—”

“What? In the privacy of the entrance hall of the Archives?” I gestured around us. “God’s body, this isn’t some brothel. And, in case you hadn’t noticed, she’s a student, not some brass nail you’ve paid to bang away at. If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.”

[...]

There was a pointed silence from Ambrose, so I lowered my shirt and turned to face Fela, ignoring him entirely. “My lady scriv,” I said to her with a bow. A very slight bow, as my back wouldn’t permit a deep one. “Would you be so good as to help me locate a book concerning women? I have been instructed by my betters to inform myself on this most subtle subject.”

Fela gave a faint smile and relaxed a bit.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Sep 8, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Heh, why don't you go rape a woman instead of just harassing one :smug:"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He (Stieg Larsson) was also famous as a researcher of and activist against right-wing extremism. He was never able to marry, because a quirk of Swedish law would have then made it possible for Neo-Nazis to track him down. Thus after Larsson's death his girlfriend was screwed out of the series' rights and she refuses to release the manuscripts she still owns.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Sep 14, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Many books are unjustly forgotten, none are unjustly remembered - but it's still interesting to see those that were justly forgotten.

Here's a 19th Century writer complaining about the trash women's lit of the day.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Sep 24, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I read the plot summary and what the fuuuuuck

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

The decent parts of the books don't really translate to film

There's no way they'd ever capture the brilliance of the lute that said "sad".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as “Quothe.” Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I’ve had more names than anyone has a right to.

The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it’s spoken, can mean “The Flame,” “The Thunder,” or “The Broken Tree.”

“The Flame” is obvious if you’ve ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it’s unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

“The Thunder” I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I’ve never thought of “The Broken Tree” as very significant. Although in retrospect I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E’lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant “to know.”

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Every one of those sentences sounds like it should have "This Troper" in front of it.

quote:

This Troper's name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as “Quothe.” Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. This Troper has had more names than anyone has a right to.

The Adem call him Maedre. Which, depending on how it’s spoken, can mean “The Flame,” “The Thunder,” or “The Broken Tree.”

“The Flame” is obvious if you’ve ever seen This Troper. He has red hair, bright. If he had been born a couple hundred years ago he would probably have been burned as a demon. This Troper keeps it short but it’s unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes him look as if he has been set afire.

“The Thunder” he attributes to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

This Troper has never thought of “The Broken Tree” as very significant. Although in retrospect he supposes it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

His first mentor called him E’lir because he was clever and he knew it. His first real lover called him Dulator because she liked the sound of it. He has been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. He has been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. He has earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But This Troper was brought up as Kvothe. His father once told him it meant “to know.”

He has, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

He has stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. He burned down the town of Trebon. He has spent the night with Felurian and left with both his sanity and his life. He was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. He treads paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. He has talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of This Troper.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Dec 5, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

Have you actually read the book? Because it ends with Kvothe almost getting killed by some random mook demon at his run-down lovely country tavern because of a nasty and apparently permanent case of magical erectile dysfunction. The whole point really is that no matter what heroics he's done in the past, he's completely washed up by the time the first book starts and he begins telling this huge story about himself.

The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes from knowing many things.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

Representation is getting a little bit better at least. NK Jimison won a Hugo for best novel this year. Being a black woman she mainly writes stories where the main characters are dark skinned (and women.)

Unfortunately she's a hack and Hundred Thousand Kingdoms at least belongs to this thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hundred Thousand Kingdoms: "White people, amirite?"

FIfth Season:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I might pick up these books they sound interesting.

I'd recommend Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, because Fifth Season is not even amusingly stupid. Just the kind of stuff people praise for ~*world-building*~

HTK is about a world where one god has enslaved the others, and rules through a theocratic dynasty of White People. They're elitist assholes who enforce a cartoon version of Christianity and suppress other faiths, because New Agey attacks on Abrahamic religion are really relevant and important in today's world. It's all very silly and miserably serious at the same time. The protagonist is mixed-race warrior princess and marginalized grand-daughter of world's earthly ruler who gets involved in the family business. You think it might lead to some interesting storytelling, but everyone and everything involved in the story is so flat and dreary.

I think you'll love Nahadoth, the beautiful Nightlord

quote:

I turned to find that Nahadoth stood behind us.

In the instant that my mind and body froze, he could have had me. He was only a few paces away. But he did not move or speak, and so we stared at each other. Face like the moon, pale and somehow wavering. I could get the gist of his features, but none of it stuck in my mind beyond an impression of astonishing beauty. His long, long hair wafted around him like black smoke, its tendrils curling and moving of their own volition. His cloak—or perhaps that was hair, too—shifted as if in an unfelt wind. I could not recall him wearing a cloak before, on the balcony.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just read the Jane Eyre/Wide Sargasso Sea combo instead. It's the exact same themes, but good.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Dec 6, 2016