Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lovecraft story "the rats in the walls" is good rat-involving horror.

Also features The Cat Who Must Not Be Named which makes it OT for the thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose it depends on whether you read it and see the text or the subtext more clearly, because the text is that he is racist but also there are genuinely scary aliens. The subtext is that he is having an extended breakdown about how he saw a welshman the other day and fears that all conscious thought and human existence may collapse if nobody does anything about it.

The latter is also funny in how absurd it is, if you don't take it personally but whether you do likely depends on your circumstances.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jan 20, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is definitely fanfiction, he even wrote all his posting enemies into it just so he could dunk on them. It is My Immortal with fancier wording.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really that's just a shame, imagine how much better his literature could have been if he had the internet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thus nicely illustrating that the difference between fanfiction and popular fiction is that one has a publisher.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If a piece of media or idea space affects you then wanting to pursue something creative in the same cognitive space is a pretty normal way to further experience that space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had to read shakespeare in school and it was crap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I made that mistake a couple of times, once was with Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy, accidentally bought the third book because there was nothing on it that indicated it was part of a series or where in the series it went. Which didn't hamper my enjoyment because it is a good fun trilogy anyway but did make it a bit confusing at first because it is directly a follow on to the second book, while the first is pretty standalone.

I also did it with some... weird series called the well of echoes or something? I bought a book in it called geomancer and it was just a bunch of weird fantasy poo poo interspersed with all the characters loving each other, seems like not only was it part of a series but part of multiple series set in the same universe and after skipping all the loving because it was boring I just didn't finish it cos none of it made sense.

In hindsight I think it was mostly the author being horny to be honest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently the subsequent books are pretty bad but I haven't read them, I really liked the setting of the ones I did read though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Djeser posted:

You know it's funny, I thought you were talking about the Well World books by Jack L Chalker, which I'm pretty sure I've talked about here--they're incredibly premise-heavy 70's/80's sci fi books that feel like the author's idea for an RPG setting that he mashed up with his fetishes for mind control and turning unwilling women into horses. The premise, that there's a reality-altering supercomputer-planet composed of hexagon patchwork habitats for hundreds of different possible alien species, had a very pulp sci-fi "crazy menagerie" feeling, and that managed to keep me going juuust about until the sexy assassin woman with venom fingernails got turned into a genetically subservient half-donkey and became obsessed with finding a way to have half-donkey babies.

Anyway it turns out it must be some other series you're thinking about. loving sf/f authors.

No it's some weird fantasy thing set on multiple worlds but looking back at it through my fuzzy memory and with many years of internet poisoning I think the author might have just been too early for deviantart or something. Main thing I remember is apparently the main setting has "breeding factories" which are basically some sort of brothel where you are supposed to get pregnant to make soldiers for the war effort... Also one of the main characters has a psychic childlike girlfriend who can't wear clothes because she is "too sensitive" and they gently caress a lot.

It's very weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Well_of_Echoes

Strategic Tea posted:

No one ever talks about these books! I loved them at 14 and I love them now and no one can tell me they're bad!

They are about humanity steadily losing World War 0.5 against dimensional invaders or are they, magic is mostly industrial and everyone is fresh meat for the hellwar. Also there are subspecies of human from other worlds with scores to settle.

It's actually three quartets (!) and counting. The first is probably the best and also the most traditional fantasy, and I don't think it has a word of bad horny in it.

Geomancer is part of the second, which isn't dangerous horny but probably needs an annual inspection to make sure or something. Half the characters are feuding/loving twentysomethings who grew up at the same tank factory.

The third one reaches unacceptable horny levels including the old howler of the main character constantly thinking about her breasts. Ian man come on get it together you were cool :(

E: It's Well of Echoes by Ian Irvine.

Furthernore the Achim are as bad as loving Ted Faro gently caress those guys

Oh gently caress I am glad I am not the only person who experienced that series. I've never heard anyone else talk about them either. I am amazed that it somehow gets worse.

Like I did sort of like the bits of the setting I remembered otherwise, the weird techno magic setting seemed interesting but the book just kept making hard rights into hornytown every five minutes and I got sick of skipping.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Jan 25, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely go and shout "HE'S BEHIND YOU" at the appopriate times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dante's inferno is isekai.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also was wondering that, he'd better be fine as hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elf oil is a natural byproduct of the elf's glossy coat and it is actually quite unfortunate that they are often subject to poaching as a result as the substance is highly sought by boutique shampoo companies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I only know him as the sex creep guy, personally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grudges only get better the longer you hold onto them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The man who invented the clitoris in 1973

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

The UK is ruled by an ancient[..]lich

Not sure why this is spoiler tagged, she's on the money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I sometimes feel like the concept of fiction is just bad for people because you umoor their brains from the constraints of reality and for a lot of them it seems to drift off into the worst places.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MY WEIRD SEX IDEAS with a side of drama.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao I forgot that was giles coren as well

extremely normal man

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I judge it excellent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I for one want to see the non paranormal werebear romance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I initially assumed half cow, half bear, but then moved to half cowboy, half bear because that made more sense.

Though you don't normally ranch bears, or men, so I then moved back to wondering if it was half cow half bear when I read the subtitle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depending on the men you could start out ranching only bears.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"If you liked this book, you may enjoy the turner diaries" is a spectacular 0-100 acceleration into bugfuck crazy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless it's two trucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember reading a book called geomancer by ian irvine and I stopped reading it because he kept interrupting the plot to have people gently caress and also the bit with the weird breeding factories was very gross, definitely think he wrote that book one handed.

I don't get sex in books tbh, unless you expect me to undo my trousers I don't need a description, I know roughly how it works you can just do the literary equivalent of panning the camera over to a shrub and turning up the orchestra.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

All the Tiffany Aching books after the first have a glossary of the Scottish-based slang the Feegles use, just to catch you up. They're written in-universe from the perspective of one of the characters, too.

I enjoy that "burned bannock" is a food :v:

And also their equivalent of a bard/skald is named after william mcgonagall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Many people desire the weight of important history but not the reality of what happened because that is seldom narratively convenient.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume there is something in the brain of SF authors that just make them start writing hosed up sex stuff after a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

many anti-Semitic examples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lovecraft's own work would probably elicit a similar response.