Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Someone should do one of those readthroughs of the Brian Herbert dunebooks, because they are super-dumb in ways that are kind of interesting.

I don't read any books, and I've never really been a big book reader but for whatever reason I was really into Dune in my teens and ended up reading the Brian Herbert Dune prequel trilogy about Robot Wars 10,000 years before Dune. My memory is pretty fuzzy but even back then I knew it was pure garbage, here's some of the highlights I can remember:

-Robots have retained human slaves because "reasons", they've also employed super powerful brain in jar mechs in their army instead of robots because "reasons"

-Really loving uncomfortable scene describing sex between two of the said brain in jars mentioned above.

-The free humans aren't really concerned that robots have taken over like 90% of civilization until one robot kills one loving baby then they collectively lose their poo poo and decide its time to actually deal with this problem.

-Space warp isn't discovered until something like halfway through the second book, so before that interplanetary travel takes years. Despite this both the robots and free humans have no issues managing vast space empires. I may be remembering this wrong but I'm pretty sure one of the characters blatantly tries to rationalize this by saying something like "Well european countries had no issues managing colonies on earth before the telegram so its not a big issue"

-The climax of the book has the robots release a virus that kills 80% of the humans then send a super huge mech space fleet to wipe out the survivors. The humans finally prevail by amassing their own giant space fleet (despite society being described as falling apart as a result of said virus in the book), enabling god mode, and warping to all the robot planets and nuking the head robots of each planet. Keep in mind this is like 50 years or something after they've discovered warp travel and they just finally decided to get round to using it as a tactical advantage. I don't even remember what to the giant robot space fleet that was 100% certain to destroy whatever was left of humanity.

Somebody could probably provide a much better description but that's the bad stuff I can recall off the top of my head 12 years later. Aside from that there was just general bad writing and piss poor shoe-horning of origin stories for every single thing mentioned in the original series.

Probably also worth noting that I lost all interest in the series after reading through those. Were the sequels worth reading or just the same garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU