Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I once tried to read some military sci-fi book I cannot remember the name of, though it was by one of the two guys who wrote the earliest lovely Halo books. I dropped it about half a chapter in when there was a graphic description of some butch Space Elsa the She-Wolf of the SS masturbating to an alien being tortured. I'd love to know the name of the book so I can read the rest of it because holy loving LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

pentyne posted:

The second to last big series was nothing more then a flamewar between 2 feuding authors who kept contradicting each other out of spite. For example

- author A writes about how Mandolorians are expert Jedi killers and feared by all
- author B writes his novel where one Jedi murders the poo poo out of a bunch of Mandos
- A replies with the next book mentioned they weren't real mandos just thugs wearing mando armor, Mandos now a feared galactic power
- B has the evil force drop a plague tied to mando genetic code that will kill them if they leave their planet
- A then cures the plague in the intro to her book because the mando's are just so smart they were capable of doing what the rest of the Galaxy couldn't.
- B meets with the people managing the SW book contracts, gets A fired. Quality of the next series of books get slightly better but are still garbage

Karen Traviss really was a special type of dumbass, and that's saying a lot when the license had seen Mofferences and what ever the gently caress was going on in the Dark Nest trilogy.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

This was me, except with the Star Wars EU.

Mammals that can suppress the force
A literal clone of Luke Skywalker
A Jedi that got so good at the force that she was able to extract poisonous nanites from Mon Mothma
A warrior-assassin race that served Darth Vader out of gratitude for keeping their planet barely alive, except the robots that were "fertilizing" the soil were actually keeping it deader than it should have been
A new superweapon that could destroy entire star systems by detonating stars, hidden inside a secret base in the middle of a cluster of black holes

All very cool to younger me, until I got older and got to the Yuuzhan Vong and went "hey, they're not even really fighting the Empire anymore, what gives?"

Then they stole the last one and used it in Episode VII. Also, there was Xizor's date-rape pheromones, the entire character of Thrawn's pretentious rear end and everything about the Dark Nest Trilogy. Disney killing the EU and all it's trash novels was a godsend.